Starting a computer business

Access PC, my dad made the website... (bah!)

Here is it...

http://users.adelphia.net/~cityonahill/service.html

Its www.access-pc.com, directed to that link

We dont really use the website for much, most people just call us because our ad (which is quite small actually) is first in the phone book (I think its first).

We have a business lincense now though, I think. I believe he told me he was doing it and was putting it in my name (month or so ago). Whatever. =).

Originally posted by Tengis
Access PC, my dad made the website... (bah!)

Here is it...

http://users.adelphia.net/~cityonahill/service.html

Its www.access-pc.com, directed to that link

We dont really use the website for much, most people just call us because our ad (which is quite small actually) is first in the phone book (I think its first).

We have a business lincense now though, I think. I believe he told me he was doing it and was putting it in my name (month or so ago). Whatever. =).
Have your own Burner?
We'll install it for
$44.50! *
haha, good deal there

Lol... yea...

I think my dad compared prices to other people and figured 4450 would be the best price. Its 44.50 for anything you want done basicly, not just cd burner. That also includes all updates (if we take it from you), cleaning of unused files and registry (basic stuff normal people dont know how to do), antivirus/spyware from us (we use our mobile toolkit cdrom, sweet stuff)....

Its not that bad of a deal. =p.

Thats a good deal for people that dont know anything about computers. I of course wouldnt pay squat to have anything on my computer fixed/installed.

Also, I drove like 50 miles to this dudes house to pick up a laptop (which we later returned fixed), driving to your house is usually a seperate fee with some of the other places around here... whatever. I dont care, my dad just tells me when, where, and what to fix, and I go do it. I dont have to handle any of that stuff =p.

I have a qestion! Okay I don't know how it works in Colorado but If I get a Resellers Permit how do I use it? Do I like call up AMD and order 20 Processors @ $XX per percessor? What does the permit let me do/ How do I use it? And does anyone know where I can get custom Carbon Paper to use as custom recipts? Would I go to like Kinkos with a template? Thanks theres alot of great info here.

Originally posted by Tengis
Also, I drove like 50 miles to this dudes house to pick up a laptop (which we later returned fixed), driving to your house is usually a seperate fee with some of the other places around here... whatever. I dont care, my dad just tells me when, where, and what to fix, and I go do it. I dont have to handle any of that stuff =p.

that's cool ... managing business is hard stuff ... I can fix any PC/debug any apps ... it's the management stuff that's boring but necessary for a great running business ....

I though I should atleast contribute to the thread.
On taxes:
I use to do freelance work for my local school district, part time, they didn't take taxes out of my check instead the payroll had me listed as a consultant. So tax time comes and I would have to file certain papers that had me as listed as an "independent contractor", something like that.
Those papers would apply here, if anyone wants the name of those tax forms I could dig around and find them for you guys.

You know, a decent place for fixing computers proably would cost at least 2500 depending on your needs. But sometimes when you fix computers, you need 2 replace parts, so more likely that you WILL need more space than 2500 worth, lets say about 3000 a month. So thats 10 grand - 3000 a month = 1 grand.......... Or lets say you rent a 2000 place, thats still only 4k profit, which is nothing, mind as well work at McDonals full time :D

you do realize, that you don't HAVE to have a place at which to do business? b/c most of your customers (excluding the ONE hobo who has a Dell Inspiron Laptop) will have houses/apartments of their own where you can go....

so that's roughly $40.00 a month depending on gas...

Not going to read the whole post - so this might of been said already.

To the person who said they don't want to worry about software related issues - popups from spyware, etc, that's where the money is. When I worked we charged 29.99 + tax for a "tuneup" which included everything from checking device manager for driver conflicts and issues to just running ad-aware or spyboy(or both) to remove all their spyware. PEople who know about hardware won't bother coming to you for simple problems, and the simple ones are where the fast, easy money is at.

I do a little side work, all by referrals. I don't do strangers at all. $30.00/hr flat rate, if they need a part I'll either order it or pick it up locally and charge like $5 for delivery. Most of the work I get is performance issues, usually due to spyware or viruses, and they usually have you check a few other things that bother them and ask lots of dumb questions (on their dime of course).

If it turns out to be a major problem or if you have to make any major changes, at minimum make a restore point. It's also a good idea to have a hard drive or two that you can use to make Ghost images if you have to do any formatting. People can tell you all day long there isn't anything of value on their PC, but you lose their taxes from last year and they will have your butt in a sling. I will absolutely refuse to format or reinstall their OS without a Ghost image first.

If you're troubleshooting hardware, be careful not to misdiagnose a problem, order a part that doesn't fix it, and then be stuck with the cost of a part you don't want or need.

Use legit software, or freeware/shareware if applicable. If you install any software like AV that requires a subscription, make sure you tell them that in advance.

Don't get in over your head. If you don't think you can fix it, just let them know you aren't comfortable with it. They will understand. Do some research and then get back with them when you're capable of fixing it.

As far as building PCs goes, most of your market is going to be web surfing and email and some office apps. For those people, Dell is a much better choice with their budget PCs. For medium to high range systems, though, you can make a killing. Even a modest performance PC from Dell (anything with an AGP slot), starts around $1000. You can usually beat them on price AND performance.

I just took a look at the December ordering thingie from DELL, the cheapest is $699 USD and that's after a $100 rebate. I can build a system (w/o moniter, keyboard/mouse, speakers) for $691 and thats with a $75 charge for my services, thrown in the Keyboard/ mouse, speakers and I'm still under $700. Actually the closes comparisen that I could find was for a system that cost $2199, beef up the custom alittle and it's just over $1000, all with quality parts. It might be a good idea to bring some sample configs from places like Dell and Gateway to show your costumers when they're thinking about a build to order, something for them to think about.

In California you have to be licensed to perform computer building or repair or to claim that you do. (Saw this in the phone book)

Great thread guys...

I am currently in college but i have always wanted to start my own buisness. I have taken a A+ class and all i need to do now it take the test :) (by the way if you dont know..its suppose to be a tough one..one of those "smart" tests where if you get one wrong, it attacks you on that subject. 3 wrong in a row and test ends)
My parents have a buisness thats doing VERY well that they started from the ground up so ihave a lot of information i can get from them.

acouple things i would still like to ask tho...

1. Once you form your buisness is there a way to get your peices for the computer you will build for the person cheaper?

2. Has anyone come accross really weird problmes you cant fix and if so what do you do when you cant solve the problem.

3. Whats some of the most common problems people come to you with.

Thx for the help and keep up with the thread

That's funny when I was in High school They tries to get me A+ Certifed, I took the pretest and scored around 90%...stoned. The teacher was so impressed that even though his class was filled he offered to let me in, never did it though....I have my reasons....mostly they involve women....god I'm such a tool. :) LOL

So many pages... so little info :D

Ohhh where to start, my grasshoppers. I've been there, done that on all these levels...

1. If you want to build/sell computers you're a little late to get on the wagon. Don't be sad! Granted you can get wholesale with a tax ID from people, but come on, you're going to get maybe $2 off an item that someone else can buy in the store. Ingram Micro is a large distributor and you couldnt expect any kind of "good" discounts off these guys without placing a $250k order.

2. Yes, you get to deal with warranty crap, RMA crap, and crap crap. If you start doing any kind of volume, expect to have a few thousand dollars out of pocket (minimum) for hardware sitting in the back that needs RMA still. Yes, you may sell a monitor and give a one year warranty, and yes that monitor will break 1 week before the year is up, although you had the monitor in stock for two weeks prior to selling it, your year is up for returning it... Yum, eat that monitor.

3. Computer parts are SO cheap nowadays. What that translates into is ALOT of DOA parts. QA is non-existent anymore, they spit out these parts like crazy. I'd kill to pay an extra few dollars to know that the part will actually work. It wasnt so bad in the old days. If you have an order for 10 PC's, better have parts for 12, because you are going to need them.

4. Amazing that no one has mentioned TAXES... the REAL TAXES! If you want to be legit, or inc yourself, no matter. You will either pay a 15% self employment tax or a 15% corporation tax... ON TOP of your regular 30% or so uncle sam would already get. (this is california I'm talking about) It's such a pisser, you can literally make more money working for someone else and not have to bring the job home with you at night. If you've owned a biz, you know what bringing it home at night means :D

There is a freedom to owning your own business, is it worth it? Heh, I really don't know anymore. At any rate, I charged $60 an hour with a 2 hour minimum for outside work, 1 hour minimum in shop. $40 an hour on outside jobs if they could live without a receipt. (only for established customers and usually networking) Sometimes I'd take a machine back to the office if I didnt feel like sitting in their office for hours. The situation will dictate whether you stay there or not.

I'm out of retail now, and very thankful! I still do it as a side job, $40 an hour for personal, $60 for business. 2 hour minimum. My work is my advertisement. If I build ANY systems, it's done as a favor and the customer gets the original receipts, if they have a problem, I'm not responsible for warranty's. I make that very clear to them.

Confidence is key in dealing with customers. Don't ever look like you don't know what you're doing. Theres 2 B's in business, brains and bullshit, when you lack the first you better make up for it with the second. I am very good at both, so I am very successful in dealing with people on all levels.

I've had consultations with people and they'll mention guys in the paper charging $20 an hour to do the same thing I'm doing for $60. I say, "Hire a $20 an hour guy, and you're going to get a $20 an hour guy, then you call me after you're done with him"

At any rate, take my 2 cents for what they're worth. If you want to keep it fun, make a little coin and go to bed at night with your sanity, don't go big, just do what you're doing. And for god's sake don't tell uncle sam about it~!

Peace out yo! :D

Confidence is key in dealing with customers. Don't ever look like you don't know what you're doing. Theres 2 B's in business, brains and bullshit, when you lack the first you better make up for it with the second. I am very good at both, so I am very successful in dealing with people on all levels.

Hear, hear! The second B can make you lots of money, quick, in ANY line of business. I've seen it in action (I definitely do NOT have the skills. I recommend working with or hiring someone who does but make sure there is also [H]onesty to go with the bullshit. :cool: )

You most certainly need to be willing to work with 'people problems'--whatever you do don't tell your customer it's a problem with the chair/keyboard interface. ;)

No one's mentioned this I think: You'll have to file your taxes quarterly as an independent contractor. I think as a biz as well but not sure about that.

If you hire someone as an employee it opens up a whole can o' worms (FICA, withholding taxes and such.) OTOH having a partner/partners is different but CYA on the legal end (eg treat it as a business, even if your partner(s) is/are friends or family members). You'll save some headache if the business goes sour.

Do as much legwork as possible before starting any business; it'll save you trouble in the long run. If you're buying parts to install & build systems for any appreciable quantity of business, make sure you have the cash to withstand the hits (like Supchaka said.)

If you don't have the skills or start to get lots of business, hire yourself an accountant.

Something to think about: What you charge for your work has something to do with the quality of customer you get. (Those 'useless' certificates you get MCSE A+ etc. can tie in with this too.) Do you really want somebody who's going to piss and moan about their 28.8 modem not working fast enough but won't shell out $$$ for a 56k (or broadband)? You're always going to get customers that are going to lose your money for you; it's best to limit them as much as possible (through various strategies). That doesn't mean charging 3x what the next guy does, but don't be too cheap either. Just be prepared to give outstanding service.

Back