Start two PCs using only one switch?

ChaGrin

n00b
I'm going to be building two computer and both will be enclosed in one custom built case (that I'm building now). Both computers will always be on at the same time so I was woundering is there was any inherent problems with using one switch to turn both on?

To turn on a (ATX) computer, (using a momentaraly switch) you touch the positive lead to the negitive lead (i.e. closing the circuit for just a sec).

My worry is that with two computers you will have the Positive leads, from both computers, touching. Would this short out the motherboard(s)?

Thanks,
ChaGrin

Get a double pole pushbutton. They are not as easy to find as a single pole pushbutton, but they're out there. Start with Newark; they have a really good selection of switches and pushbuttons.

Why not use separate switches and one handle/button?

a) Because the wireless switch that I want to use cost $35 a pop so 1 is better then 2
b) I would have to carry 3 wireless key chain remotes (one for my car and two for my computers)
c) If I decide to go with regular wired switches, the case that I'm building is modeled after those japanese lamps so I want it to be as clean as possible. It's easier to hide one switch then two

Just asking., why are you using two pc in one box?

Actually three computers. One is my media/storage server and it will always be on. And for the other two, well I use two now. One as the main (usually used for games or anything needing heavy lifting) and the other is my auxiliary (used for watching TV, movies surfing or gaming when I'm dual boxing in WoW). I use a program (Input Director) that allows you to use one mouse and keyboad with two computers. (without having to push a button every time you want to switch to the other computer) but the master computer has to be on to be able to use your mouse and keyboard on the slave.

why in one case? well I like to build stuff, and building one big case instead of 3 smaller cases sounded fun. Plus it gave me an excuse to add a bunch of new toys...err I mean 'necessary woodworking tools' to my workshop :p

BlindedByScience said:
Get a double pole pushbutton. They are not as easy to find as a single pole pushbutton, but they're out there. Start with Newark; they have a really good selection of switches and pushbuttons.

Thanks for the suggestion and I might go that way, but I wanted to use a Wireless keychain remote to turn on the computers and the only thing I can find is the Logisys Remote Multifunction Panel. So I would have to connect both the computer's leads to the one post and as I mentioned, I was worried that the the two positive leads would short each other out and probably the motherboards along with them. Experimentation could start getting expensive when you start shorting out $200 motherboards left and right :eek:

Can anyone experienced with electronics or wiring tell me if using one switch to start two computers would cause anything 'bad'?

Thanks,
ChaGrin

Last edited:
Use the output of the control panel to run a small relay. Or, if you're the "roll your own" type, I'd think a couple of small FET's would do the trick nicely.

this actually isnt that hard to do.. you should be able to splice into the wires leading to one system and putting it on the second system.. if you have an old case.. just take the power switch wire's/plug and use that..

not sure how it would create a short..

also if your really worried about it.. why not just put 2 small buttons next to each other.. id hope that using 2 fingers to start dual system up isnt that much more work and if it is.. then thats just depressing..

thats 2 ideas.. and both are cheap..

since it is two pc - run the connector from the motherboard to an switch. Join both wires and connect to a switch.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'm like sirmonkey... I'm not sure how it would short anything out by connecting the positive leads of the power switch from both (or all) systems. If the polarity is correct, you shouldn't have any problems.

The reference voltages on both systems might not be the same (infact it would be almost impossible FOR them to be exactly the same) and thus you will get power flowing across the line all the time. That could at worst be a fire hazard, or it may just cause weird stability issues. I wouldn't do it. Get a double pole push button switch and then you wont have a problem

The reference voltages on both systems might not be the same (infact it would be almost impossible FOR them to be exactly the same) and thus you will get power flowing across the line all the time. That could at worst be a fire hazard, or it may just cause weird stability issues. I wouldn't do it. Get a double pole push button switch and then you wont have a problem

Ya, that was my worry. I didn't know it could do that, but I did have a feeling it was a bad idea, just wanted to get confirmation.

Think I may just break down and get two Logisys Remote Multifunction Panel. I can then see if I can tune them to the same Frequency so that I can trigger them them both using one remote.

Thank you all for the replys, :D
ChaGrin

Back