Starforce driver corruption

Panda Man

Limp Gawd
I was playing Trackmania Nations, when all of a sudden my systems volumes started lowering and raising out of control (Specs in sig). My first reaction was that my cat or something went behind my desk and knocked some cables loose. I double checked all connections, and they were fine. At first i thought i had some virus messing with the audio, so i ran a virus scan, spyware sweep, and after both failed, a system restore. This helped for about 6 hours, then suddenly the audio problems came back. This time, the volume not only went up and down, the sound was distorted. Went thru the process again, except this time i thought maybe my drivers were failing. So i reinstalled my drivers, no go. I was beginning to suspect hardware failure. After some googling, i found out that TrackMania: Nations (a free game) installs starforce on your system. I had heard rumors that starforce can sometimes have conflicts with other drivers and optical drives. I removed starforce's drivers, registry entries, and ultimately removed it from the device manager. After a rebooting twice to make sure it was gone permanently, i was still having audio problems. So i rereinstalled my audio drivers, and they run perfect now. Eventually however, starforce infected my system again (i forgot to remove TM) and yet again my audio drivers failed (volume, sound distortion). So again i removed starforce and reinstalled my audio drivers, and not its back to normal again (and of course removed TrackMania). Anyways, i just wanted to rant, and i was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with starforce. I am also going to submit this to starforce, so that they can possibly fix this problem in their next release.

Back