Starcraft

BoogerBomb

Supreme [H]ardness
OMFG!! Let me start by telling you that I absolutely loath, despise, and hate RTS games with every bone in my body, that was at least until....Starcraft.

This game is an absolute blast to play which surprised the hell out of me. Diablo and its cluttered screen and other quirks turned me off to them type of games. My brother-in-law picked up a copy so I started watching him play. He got tired of me telling him what to do and bought me my own copy. LOL.

I looked at Galactic Civilizations 2 after I started playing this one but got immediatley turned of by its complexity of throwing in sim type of stuff. I like clicking on a building and telling it to research upgraded weapons and it having a small progress bar then poof its done. Im not crazy about the pressing turn four times to get it done.

Are there any other RTS games that are similiar and as fun as Starcraft that I dont know about? I like its simplicity which appears to be lacking in many of todays RTS's that seem to be getting more and more complex.

I have never played any type of game other then FPS's before this one.

Try out warcraft 3, made by the same company, but with a few twists. Similar upgrading system, and with the addition of hero type characters. I think the battlechest is on sale at best buy or circuit city, that'll give you the original game and the expansion plus other goodies.

You could also try the expansion to starcraft called brood wars.

Welcome to 1998. :p

Any who

Warcraft II
Warcraft III
Homeworld
Homeworld II

Those are my top RTS's + Starcraft.

Ill try Warcraft series a try then. Is WC1 not as good as 2 and three?

Ill look into Homeworld.

Thanks for the suggestions.

warcraft I isn't worth it right now, the others are just a lot better. I would also second playing online, that is the best part of the game.

I wasnt so much a fan of Rise of Nations for some reason. Never clicked as being "fun." Age of Empires was much better....

Dawn of War is awesome. :)

dj_2004 said:
I love the Dawn of War series, isn't as simple as Starcraft.

Really? I would say DoW is simpler than Star Craft. *Build an army, take check points, hold check points, build bigger army, attack, repeat*. DoW, while fun, gets old (as in repetitive too quickly). Though, that technique for Online (which I understand DoW shines) is very fun. In terms of Single Player, I thought DoW was lacking.

Anywho, best of luck to your RTS gaming!

Dawn of War had the feature of customizing your squads and such.. Star Craft was more straightforward in what each unit was meant to do.

Khaydarin said:
Dawn of War had the feature of customizing your squads and such.. Star Craft was more straightforward in what each unit was meant to do.
Yeah that's what I meant. The gameplay itself is about the same as Starcraft, only that you can't turtle yourself in since there are unlimited resources. So you just keep sending wave after wave of soldiers in! I actually still play DoW's singleplayer daily. All the mods + new maps create tons of fun.

Look into Total Annihilation, if you can find it. Best RTS ever.

Supreme Commander, the unofficial sequel to TA, is coming out soon.

I've never played (or even seen) TA....

Maybe I'll check it out.

EDIT** >> looks like a very cool game of that era. The OP should take a look.

Khaydarin said:
I've never played (or even seen) TA....

Maybe I'll check it out.

EDIT** >> looks like a very cool game of that era. The OP should take a look.

What I love about TA:

Deemphasizes resourcing: without the convoluted "build resource building, build resource units, collect resources" model that C&C and *craft depend on, it makes for a far less gimmicky game where strategic points are more valuable than resources on many maps.

More robust unit control: You can set units to fire at will, only return fire, or to never fire at all. Building units can actually queue building commands just like normal waypoints: you can assign a unit to build twenty buildings and then just forget about it for a while. And then there's the lovely patrol option that let's you put units on a circuit.

Automation: Set a builder on a patrol route through your base and they'll stop to repair any buildings or assist any new construction going on. Set an airfield's rally point as a patrol route to have every unit that comes out of it immediately go on patrol. Assign that airfield to a hotkey and have every unit that comes out of the airfield instantly join that hotkey group. Plus you can queue up 99 units per building for construction. The game requires much less mind-numbing point-and-click than the more popular games.

Realistic physics: No, I don't mean it actually models physics. But if an unguided rocket is fired at a target and then that target changes direction or speed, the rocket will miss its target. Compare that to StarCraft where a projectile may be shown to hit a substantial distance away from a unit, but the unit still takes damage. This is most noticed with artillery, which actually behaves like artillery...firing at extreme ranges at the expense of accuracy. The "bertha" cannons on the game will fire completely across smaller maps, but may miss their target by the width of a building or more.

Mods: CaveDog saw fit to make it easy for enthusiasts to create new units, maps, et cetera. This resulted in a massive number of mods and unit packs that make the game a new experience.

What to buy ...

1. Warcraft II
2. Warcraft III
3. Total Annihilation
4. Homeworld II
5. Dawn of War

Upcoming RTS to buy ..

Supreme Commander (made by the same ppl who made TA).

Total Annihilation is probably quite honestly the best RTS ever, and it was lightyears ahead of its time. In fact, playing it today it doesn't feel 'old' at all.

I am currently dabbling with Empire at War, but its not all that impressive ... fun/fresh but not impressive.

dj_2004 said:
Yeah that's what I meant. The gameplay itself is about the same as Starcraft, only that you can't turtle yourself in since there are unlimited resources. So you just keep sending wave after wave of soldiers in! I actually still play DoW's singleplayer daily. All the mods + new maps create tons of fun.

Oh! Ok. Well I meant no ill will with my post. Just confused. The customization of your squad is quite cool though. :)

I looked at Homewworld and will probably give it a shot and TA sounds pretty cool as well. Whats nice about coming into this genre late is that there seem to be quite a few good games to keep me interested for a while.

My brother-in-law remember playing Warcraft 2 and liked it so he may get the WC3 battlechest. Maybe I can score another free game lol.

To tell you the truth, i never liked Star Craft, the story was not apealing to me, the way the game played wasn't apealing to me, i never really liked it. What i did like about the game was the sounds, to me Blizzard did an outstanding job on the sounds for this game, it had such an awsome arcade feeling to it with that sound, but other then that i was really disapointed.

I liked the WC games alot, WC2, WC3 were great for me, except the story got all pooped up in Frozen Throne, but i've always loved how all sides were extremely similar with different abilities

but for me, the RTS love comes with the macro management games, Total Annihilation is where my true excitement came from, and i so cannot wait for Supreme Commander, massive battles taken to the next 10 levels, no minimap, just a world wide view of square miles and nothing but fighting going on.

PopeKevinI said:
What I love about TA:

Deemphasizes resourcing: without the convoluted "build resource building, build resource units, collect resources" model that C&C and *craft depend on, it makes for a far less gimmicky game where strategic points are more valuable than resources on many maps.

More robust unit control: You can set units to fire at will, only return fire, or to never fire at all. Building units can actually queue building commands just like normal waypoints: you can assign a unit to build twenty buildings and then just forget about it for a while. And then there's the lovely patrol option that let's you put units on a circuit.

Automation: Set a builder on a patrol route through your base and they'll stop to repair any buildings or assist any new construction going on. Set an airfield's rally point as a patrol route to have every unit that comes out of it immediately go on patrol. Assign that airfield to a hotkey and have every unit that comes out of the airfield instantly join that hotkey group. Plus you can queue up 99 units per building for construction. The game requires much less mind-numbing point-and-click than the more popular games.

Realistic physics: No, I don't mean it actually models physics. But if an unguided rocket is fired at a target and then that target changes direction or speed, the rocket will miss its target. Compare that to StarCraft where a projectile may be shown to hit a substantial distance away from a unit, but the unit still takes damage. This is most noticed with artillery, which actually behaves like artillery...firing at extreme ranges at the expense of accuracy. The "bertha" cannons on the game will fire completely across smaller maps, but may miss their target by the width of a building or more.

Mods: CaveDog saw fit to make it easy for enthusiasts to create new units, maps, et cetera. This resulted in a massive number of mods and unit packs that make the game a new experience.

That automation command sounds like it was directly lifted from the repair units in Herzog Zwei. Good for them, bringing back good ideas.

Oh, by the way, if you have a Sega Genesis, you should get Herzog Zwei. The first and one of the most enjoyable RTS games.

Don't forget that Starcraft is the most balanced game ever made. Although simple, the game provides every strategic aspect a game needs to be a good RTS. Even more, Starcraft has one of the most intricate stories I've ever encountered. Honestly speaking, I doubt that any other game would be *as good*, but may come close to the legendary Starcraft.

Is there a way to move my savegames to another computer? I tried copying the save file to the other comp but it wont show up in the list of savegames.

Don't forget that Starcraft is the most balanced game ever made.

i'd say thats actually WC2, since there was no dynamic differences between the two races, infact there was pretty much none, your blood mage ogres got blood lust, and your mage nights got uh... far see

Trimlock said:
i'd say thats actually WC2, since there was no dynamic differences between the two races, infact there was pretty much none, your blood mage ogres got blood lust, and your mage nights got uh... far see

Ya the spells were the only differences. Starcraft is the most balanced game that didn't rely on races being the same :D

I think I lost about 2 good years of my life to Starcraft/Brood Wars. It is quite simply the most fun I have ever had playing online. I started off Terran and as I became more advanced I began to dabble with protoss. I became damn near unbeatable with Protoss shortly thereafter. NOONE can tell me the Protoss cloaked units and cloaking abilities aren't the coolest units ever in any RTS. Well there is the Terran ghosts units...I launched many a nuke with those guys... I never liked Zerg, even though they are tough when upgraded and you can produce them hella quick, were like friggin mutated roaches, vile, disgusting and EVERYWHERE..

Very balanced gameplay,cool units and tons of multiplayer maps makes this game absolutely stellar. There were no 'cheats' in this game. Strategy was was your best friend and knowing your units. Although many people were 'rushers'... and I was one of them sometimes..lol

1. SC/BW 2. C&C:red alert 3. AOE2 4. Homeworld 1 5. Warcraft 2

I said it before, and I'll say it again. I LOVE STARCRAFT. Therefore, I believe I am a Starcraft !!! but anyways, until the most recent patch, there were plenty of cheats. You could slide a CC onto minerals, float drones across maps, permanently cloak most zerg ground units, etc.

jc72 said:
you guys forget C&C? specially red alert.

QFT, man. I've been playing Red Alert again for the last few days and loving it. The missions where you don't have a base and have to run a few units through a level to meet your objectives are especially fun! No resource hoarding in those!

Have you played Starcraft? Jim Raynor had many a mission where he and a few brave marines were sent into installations to get intel. No resources on those; pure micro management.

mrbay said:
Have you played Starcraft? Jim Raynor had many a mission where he and a few brave marines were sent into installations to get intel. No resources on those; pure micro management.

Oh yeah, definitely those were fun. I'm just talking about what I've been playing lately and making a suggestion the OP might enjoy.

phoderpants said:
That automation command sounds like it was directly lifted from the repair units in Herzog Zwei. Good for them, bringing back good ideas.

Oh, by the way, if you have a Sega Genesis, you should get Herzog Zwei. The first and one of the most enjoyable RTS games.

i loved that game!

I love Starcraft.

You also have to say I think its one of the best selling PC games of ALL time. Tell me another game made 8 years ago that you can still find in Walmart on a daily basis.

Spazilton said:
I love Starcraft.

You also have to say I think its one of the best selling PC games of ALL time. Tell me another game made 8 years ago that you can still find in Walmart on a daily basis.

QFT

Spazilton said:
I love Starcraft.

Heh I remember when it came out... visited Walmart and stared at the box for 20mins. I just couldn't believe the graphics. :)

SC is truely one of the best games ever, and arguably the best RTS ever. Sometimes I really wonder how the hell Blizzard got the game so balanced yet with so much variety between the three races.

If you like SC/BW, definitely try out Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 with Frozen throne.

IMO, TA just doesn't have the same lasting power as SC. I mean, there has to be a reason why StarCraft is considered a national sport in Korea. People there gets paid to practice and compete in tournaments for money. Its one of the first game to really start the "cyber athlete" thing.

BoogerBomb said:
Is there a way to move my savegames to another computer? I tried copying the save file to the other comp but it wont show up in the list of savegames.
Patch versions have to be the same. Latest is 1.13F.

Back