Starcraft scaling issue

BoogerBomb

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, my brother-in-law bought Starcraft for like the 4th time. We use my tv (Sony KDF-50WE655) for the monitor. The PC is an HP that uses a Vista 64 and a 9600GS card. We connect the two with an HDMI cable.

On all the different PC's that we have ever had the game runs in 4:3 mode and does not scale by default. On the widescreen laptop it does scale. Apparently everyone else who uses a similiar setup gets a game that automatically scales to fill the screen without chopping off the top and bottom.

Scaling options in the Nvidia Control Panel are greyed out and unavailable.

Is there a way to make Starcraft scale to fit the screen? He cant see units, mineral, and gas info that is along the top edge. He doesn't care if everything is squished or not. Like I said the laptop squishes everything to make it fit and he can see all that info, but we just cant get our TV or PC to scale the game for the tv. It stays in 4:3 mode.

What it sounds like is that your TV is using its own picture settings to scale the image, since your computer is outputting a low-res image directly. Play around with the different scaling and aspect ratio options on your TV and you should be able to find one that fits the image the way you want it to.

update your driver if you didn't already.

or try their overscan utility
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2064
it should fix a registry key to enable the scaling options when you restart. it says for 8800 series only but it works for other cards. if you can't change your scaling options then it means the nvidia card is not recognizing your tv as digital connection, even though it works through hdmi.

if your tv has scaling options you should use those instead, hardware scaling is much more reliable.

Well I first tried to change the wide mode settings and it stretched in horizontally but not vertically. Then I found overscan settings and set it to -1 and he can now see the numbers. We lose a bit to the sides but no big deal.

Thanks for the help.

Well I first tried to change the wide mode settings and it stretched in horizontally but not vertically. Then I found overscan settings and set it to -1 and he can now see the numbers. We lose a bit to the sides but no big deal.

Thanks for the help.

Great advice, makes me want to bust out my Brood War CD!

Glad you found something that worked. I've spend countless hours trying to get my 7600gt to output to a SDTV without cutting off the edges. Never could get it to work so I had to switch my rigs over to ATI :(

Back