StarCraft Remaster Announced, Includes 4K Support and Matchmaking

Awesome!!

I hope i can play some of the old maps, like tarpit and TOS.

Recycle, ReUse, Reduce, Remaster

We have entered the golden age of PC gaming.... remastered!

I want the entire Xwing/Tie fighter series remastered please. And Wing Commander 1-4. I would pay real money for those.

I read somewhere else that Full Throttle is getting a remaster as well. Let me think, what else from the 90's needs to be redone... Mechwarrior 2? I think that cd is still on my shelf (kinda - it's Mercenaries)

Carmageddon ;)

From the looks of it that's what they did.
EXACTLY what they did. These are all high res 2d sprites redrawn. It looks exactly like a remaster of an old low res pre-rendered 2d game should look. Like it did originally, but with higher quality assets. It's exactly the opposite Square Enix did with their PS4 FFVII re release and Mobile/PC re release of IX. Which were lazy hack jobs.

Awesome - will totally get this. Was worried that the remaster would be the game completely redone - since it appears to be just graphically remastered and everything else the same as the original? I will get this. I'm sure a few of my friends will too - since we STILL would play it if we ever get time to throw together a mini-lan party. lol. Eagerly awaiting the Full Throttle remaster as well :)

Customizable keys would be nice from the get go, rather than having to use 3rd party programs like Keycraft or autohotkey. But I guess that would go against the 'keeping the gameplay unchanged" thing.

But I think this is going to be pretty neat, I liked SC and BW, though I never could finish BW, as I found the later missions to hard! WoL on the other hand, I absolutely hated by the time I got to the end of it. That last mission was a real bitch for me, but managed to finish the campaign with all achievements.

From the looks of it that's what they did.

Really? In the video, the before and after pics look the same to me. Sorry, but maybe I should be clearer - they should have upgraded the graphics engine and redone everything with 3d models. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind that they did what they did, but its hardly worth all this fanfare.

Really? In the video, the before and after pics look the same to me. Sorry, but maybe I should be clearer - they should have upgraded the graphics engine and redone everything with 3d models. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind that they did what they did, but its hardly worth all this fanfare.

Wrong! 3d is not better in this case. As a long time fan/player of SC/BW I'm really happy they didn't use the SC2 engine. I played the SC2 beta a good bit but I felt the game was lacking in lots of areas, one of them being the engine.

I wish they would have just given us the same game with modern graphics. Sorry, but color me not impressed.

Close as possible to doing what you just asked imho. Reminds me of the Street Fighter HD update where they just prettified it but kept the old system with the same hit boxes.

The hit boxes and system is the most important thing. Changing any of it would dramatically affect the 19 years of system that

Last edited:

No way man, sprite models look way better than 3D in RTS games.

Honestly .. disappointed that's its not 3D or the IQ or StarCraft 2

"A groundbreaking esport" ... which was the sole cause to make Blizzard greedy as fuckall and privatize everything, bye bye future lan support for games, bye bye own servers, bye bye.

I hope they don't change the voice acting. That was one of my favorite parts of the game, the Aliens voice lines were boss. Ghost's annoyed lines were good too.

Honestly .. disappointed that's its not 3D or the IQ or StarCraft 2
It would be extremely hard to program in the eccentricities of the engine in 3d given the issues come from the old 2d engine.

"A groundbreaking esport" ... which was the sole cause to make Blizzard greedy as fuckall and privatize everything, bye bye future lan support for games, bye bye own servers, bye bye.

? I know they removed it from SC2 but it's pretty cool that they're putting it back in for SC remastered.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 11.48.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 11.48.29 PM.png
    174.3 KB · Views: 21
Well people would probably question why they use the same engine but updated it without lan

Anyone know if the original cut scenes are also remastered?

As a kid they were freakin amazing...

I remember playing this game in college on the campus lab computers in spawned mode. Good times.

Close as possible to doing what you just asked imho. Reminds me of the Street Fighter HD update where they just prettified it but kept the old system with the same hit boxes.

The hit boxes and system is the most important thing. Changing any of it would dramatically affect the 19 years of system that

Oh, I agree on keeping the System and hit boxes - just updating the graphics. You can tell how dated it looks.

And the counter argument from me would be "Then don't call it Star Craft REMASTERED then, when all you did was add 4k support

You realize it's still being used for exports right? They could care less what one person wants over the million who already worship it.

You are welcomed to your opinion. But in this case i think it's unrealistic compared to the scope of work that needs done.

Back