StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Opening Cinematic

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Protoss chapter of StarCraft II will soon be upon us. Blizzard has released the opening cinematic to the expansion, which launches November 10.

Just to remind people....StarCraft 2 came 5....five!.....years ago. 5 years to "complete" the game? Give me a break Blizzard. I gave up on you a long time ago.

You used to be AAA.

Just to remind people....StarCraft 2 came 5....five!.....years ago. 5 years to "complete" the game? Give me a break Blizzard. I gave up on you a long time ago.

You used to be AAA.
The thing is, that the expansions have been as much a game as SC1 was. Even if they only focus on one of the races at a time, it's not like there is a shortage of missions in the campaign and the multiplayer is all there. Also, expecting anything other than "when it's done" from blizzard says you aren't much of a fan, or simply haven't paid any attention to blizzard for the past 15+ years with regards to their announcements, launches, etc. Yes, it would have been nice if the expansions had just come out annually so the game was "complete" after 3 years, but even if you bought SC2 5 years ago... and knowing how blizzard is, can you honestly say you were expecting that to happen?

The only problem I really see with blizzard applying their standard "when it's done" to SC2, was that at this point it's a game that has left the consciousness of most gamers(other than the hardcore fans of blizzard in general, and those that have been playing this entire time. Aside from that, you know very well that if blizzard were rushed by activision to pump these out, and quality suffered because of it, people would have been pissed.

Again I ask; why doesn't Blizzard make a full length StarCraft animated movie?

Because they're working on a warcraft movie.

I felt I got my moneys worth with both Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm. I don't play multiplayer because I'm awful at micro but the campaigns were really fun.

I felt I got my moneys worth with both Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm. I don't play multiplayer because I'm awful at micro but the campaigns were really fun.

Exactly how I feel, I've played online and just get slaughtered. I normally just play "custom" games.

Finally, a release date. It's already been in beta for months, and changes have been drastic even as recently as a week or two ago. I was wondering if we would actually see the finished product.

FWIW, I have developed a distaste for Blizz as well. Starcraft, I do this for you... not for your creator.

Cheese, overwhelming.

Did you even experience the original Star Craft story line? It's really well thought out. The only cheese in the entire Star Craft experience is the multi-player aspect...

Did you even experience the original Star Craft story line?

Classic and superb storytelling.

Back in early '98, when the game was fresh off the shelf, when you finished the mission where Kerrigan is left for dead, and the changes caused by the betrayal--and then later, when what actually happened to her is revealed--it was gripping. Not just another throwaway science fiction story to justify a game, it actually felt compelling. To me anyway.

Did you even experience the original Star Craft story line? It's really well thought out. The only cheese in the entire Star Craft experience is the multi-player aspect...

Back in early '98, when the game was fresh off the shelf, when you finished the mission where Kerrigan is left for dead, and the changes caused by the betrayal--and then later, when what actually happened to her is revealed--it was gripping. Not just another throwaway science fiction story to justify a game, it actually felt compelling. To me anyway.

The original game could seriously stand a modern reboot simply to run at native resolutions common these days...

I probably know more phrases from StarCraft 1 then any other game. Even Duke Nukem 3D only had a handful of memorable sayings.

The quality of the lines coupled with the nauseating repetition made for good burned in memories.

Guess Blizzard has sucked all the money they felt they can from HotS, now to release the next one!

I loved the first game back in the day. I wanted a SC2 for years and eventually I gave up on it. Now that they made it....it's just not that fun for me.

In that missions when Kerrigan was left for dead the first time I played it......I actually had her in a drop ship so she should have been saved lol.

I think sc has one of the best stories of any rts. The cut scenes helped a lot

I think sc has one of the best stories of any rts. The cut scenes helped a lot

I agree with you if you're talking about SC1 and Brood War. But SC2? The writing is really bad. I don't see how it compares at all.

Same here,my apm sucks.
Bought both WoL and HoTS on release, with HoTS i didnt even bother with trying mp, campaing was well worth the money

I will also buy Legacy, i need to see the story unfold and finished.

Ah yes. The good ol' proxy pylon.

One of Blizzard's pillars is that they don't care if a game takes a lot longer than they expect. They're going to release a polished product, or it will not be released at all. I respect that. If only more publishers in the industry had such morals.

Ah yes. The good ol' proxy pylon.

One of Blizzard's pillars is that they don't care if a game takes a lot longer than they expect. They're going to release a polished product, or it will not be released at all. I respect that. If only more publishers in the industry had such morals.

If you've been following the multiplayer development of LOTV, doesn't seem like that any longer.

Activi$ion principles seeping in...

Gave up on SCII because it was geared toward multiplayer. I'm a casual gamer and don't have a lot of time to invest in gaming. You are up against people without a real life and online gaming is all they do. Not much fun because those types can't even take a joke about being game addicted.

Yep. I used to be really competitive back in the day with SC1 and Brood War, but then the e-sports market showed up and I found out I wasn't able to compete with people who follow recipes more than just play the game and can somehow click the mouse and insane rates that I can't discover how to compete with.

I'm more into Company of Heroes these days since the resources don't permit unit construction to be as quickly and I find the micro tends to be easier to execute.

That said, I will be buying this game at some point for sure.

Actually, one thing that's kind of interesting is StarCraft's fall from the e-sports king. Legacy of the Void elicited an "oh yeah, StarCraft!" reaction from me, which, as a fan of the series, is a bit surprising. It's really lost its position as the e-sports leader so it'll be interesting to see if this rekindles interest or if people will remain apathetic.

Actually, one thing that's kind of interesting is StarCraft's fall from the e-sports king. Legacy of the Void elicited an "oh yeah, StarCraft!" reaction from me, which, as a fan of the series, is a bit surprising. It's really lost its position as the e-sports leader so it'll be interesting to see if this rekindles interest or if people will remain apathetic.

I am not sure what you are getting with the 'fall' from e-sports king. Various games start to take precedence depending on the popularity and accessibility. StarCraft is still one of the predominate games in e-sports. It is second in earning to DOTA2 and LoL, but tops for all other games. It is also interesting that the games which topped StarCraft spawned from Blizzard RTS meta games.

If you've been following the multiplayer development of LOTV, doesn't seem like that any longer.
Well I personally couldn't give less of a fuck about the multiplayer development... actually I take that back because they have to waste a shit ton of time on things like game balance when in a single player game you don't have to worry too much about that because who cares if one faction is stronger, these are god damn bugs that can mass produce, of course they're going to eat marines for breakfast... but nope... gotta make the single player live the same as the multi.

Hmm. I was pretty good at SC1/BW, SC2 I was ok (but much older so my APM/etc isn't what it used to be). Loved multiplayer though (I didn't play more than a couple SC2 singleplayer missions, and didn't play much SC1 single player either). Hundreds of hours into both games, but I haven't played SC2 in since the first expansion came out. I bought the expansion, played a couple games, and haven't played SC2 since.

Well I personally couldn't give less of a fuck about the multiplayer development... actually I take that back because they have to waste a shit ton of time on things like game balance when in a single player game you don't have to worry too much about that because who cares if one faction is stronger, these are god damn bugs that can mass produce, of course they're going to eat marines for breakfast... but nope... gotta make the single player live the same as the multi.

That is a head scratcher since none of the single player campaigns are anything like the multiplayer. If you are referring to the custom games, then yes, because those are generally used to prepare you for multi-player.

I think the story line of SC1 was better. SC2 for me follows the same tired cliches of old space civilizations, mysterious powers, eternal enemies....blah blah.

SC1 had a lot of intrigues between everyone wanting to grab power. The human stories were fantastic.

First day buy for me, I love going through the campaign then going back through and trying to get all the side quests/Easter eggs.

That is a head scratcher since none of the single player campaigns are anything like the multiplayer. If you are referring to the custom games, then yes, because those are generally used to prepare you for multi-player.

I am referring to the balancing of units in the game, so that no side has much of any advantage. And since those units are the same in single player (usually), that's additional time/testing.

I am compelled to buy this expansion because I need to bring the StarCraft story/lore to a close.

Hopefully they deliver and gives us an ending the veteran players deserve for following this for over 15 years.

I agree with you if you're talking about SC1 and Brood War. But SC2? The writing is really bad. I don't see how it compares at all.

Yes I meant SC and BW, I also liked WOL but not as much. If I have the time I'll finally get HoTS and eventually LotV

Gave up on SCII because it was geared toward multiplayer. I'm a casual gamer and don't have a lot of time to invest in gaming. You are up against people without a real life and online gaming is all they do. Not much fun because those types can't even take a joke about being game addicted.

SC2 isn't geared towards multiplayer.... The campaign was definitely a solid title. Single player has units and functions that aren't available in multiplayer.

Now, Blizzard certainly has esports in mind with SC2 (as they always did since SC1)... but I don't think the single player campaign suffered at all for that.

I'm more into Company of Heroes these days since the resources don't permit unit construction to be as quickly and I find the micro tends to be easier to execute.

I un-installed CoH (1). Playin as the Germans, I'd get raped everytime by artillery from the Brits playing online. I never understood why the Germans just got shitty rockets when they had artillery (and SPGs) in real life.

I always enjoyed the plot of SC, be it 1 or 2. The cinematics are absolutely beautiful to look at, but I cannot help but feel that the game's overall plot might have been better if such cinematics were left out (HotS for example I felt the ending cinematic was a bit bland).

The game matches you against people of similar skill after it determines your skill level. If you are really bad at it, you will get placed against other really bad players. The no lifers you refer to see higher up the ladder. Also the arcade ids stupid fun, no skill required for many of the custom games.

Back