Starcraft 2 Beta

Getting triple siz pooled is really annoying, there is no counter to that....

3 zergs in 3v3 and 4 zergs in 4v4 doing ling rush is at least a platinum strategy for mediocre players, and a diamond strategy for good players.

Is it me or are people just not as good as Phase 1? lol. Like I'm rusty, but this is bad.

Depends on the league. Bronze is beyond horrible. Gold is pretty average. Haven't gotten to plat/diamond yet :eek:

that's what 2v2 and 1v1 are for. ;)

[L]imey;1035931645 said:
I'm still a noob... can someone tell me what "six pool" means? Thanks

The 6 refers to your food count when you start your spawning pool. Seeing as how you start with 6 drones (6 food), you just let them mine until you have the 200 minerals for the pool and lay it down right away. You can make 1 more drone while it's building and then as soon as its done you use your saved larvae to make lings and send them to attack right away.

That's 3 zergs with gimped economy. Honestly what I would do is just counter attack one or two of the zergs and just let one of your allies die.

That's 3 zergs with gimped economy. Honestly what I would do is just counter attack one or two of the zergs and just let one of your allies die.

Not enough time.

Going standard on protoss I get 1 zealot to his 6 zerglings.
As a zerg, by the time they get 6 to your base you will just building a spawning pool if doing 14 build.

As a terran I would have completed my wall and had 1 marine. This will be ok vs just 6 zerglings, but not vs. 18... and chances are they will just run around the wall through another entry. (3v3+ here).

In 2v2 or 1v1 it is much less of a problem.

Not enough time.

Going standard on protoss I get 1 zealot to his 6 zerglings.
As a zerg, by the time they get 6 to your base you will just building a spawning pool if doing 14 build.

As a terran I would have completed my wall and had 1 marine. This will be ok vs just 6 zerglings, but not vs. 18... and chances are they will just run around the wall through another entry. (3v3+ here).

In 2v2 or 1v1 it is much less of a problem.

Right but isn't it standard to have at least one player do a cheese in 3v3+ ? Proxy gate, reapers, 6/7 pool etc.

Just trade players. I'd rather be on the team without all the economies messed up because of cheese. Do a 6 pool yourself against an AI and see what kind of situation you're in after the 6 pool. You're so far behind it's not even funny. I've lost my entire base to 6 pools in 2v2 and still won because the 6 pooler takes forever to recover from it.

Right but isn't it standard to have at least one player do a cheese in 3v3+ ? Proxy gate, reapers, 6/7 pool etc.

Just trade players. I'd rather be on the team without all the economies messed up because of cheese. Do a 6 pool yourself against an AI and see what kind of situation you're in after the 6 pool. You're so far behind it's not even funny. I've lost my entire base to 6 pools in 2v2 and still won because the 6 pooler takes forever to recover from it.

That requires interteam cooperation and communication :p Happens very very rarely in random.

ROFL.

I just got promoted from Rank 45 Bronze to Rank 6 Silver after 1 game. 4v4 :)

Is it me or are people just not as good as Phase 1? lol. Like I'm rusty, but this is bad.

I'm not exactly sure, I haven't played any 1vs1 games yet. I'm looking forward to them, but I'm just enjoying the AI and the massive games for now. Have you made it into diamond yet?

I'm not exactly sure, I haven't played any 1vs1 games yet. I'm looking forward to them, but I'm just enjoying the AI and the massive games for now. Have you made it into diamond yet?

Not yet, just going through the paces right now still. Been working a lot more lately so I haven't had the time to throw myself into it fully.

I'll probably be playing a lot of ums with my friends since he's been making some during the downtime.

I've started going with a 6 pool but not rushing. If you know it's zerg you have to. However without the macro hit from sending in a rish you can build up your economy. after the 6 lings I've been pushing out an overlord and queen asap and then with the first larvea spawn drones all to minerals then the next 3 to gas (build extractor while those 3 are spawning) , then spine crawler, and finally to liar where you get hydras or mutas, your choice. I used to go mutas now recently go hydras. If you get a 6 pool coming in, your lings plus queen can hold them off and because they usually don't macro while this is going it it open you up for an expand right after the rush and then a counter with hyrdas/mutas. Their economy has suffered so much it's usually not even hard to overrun them, even with this single unit army.

It doesn't always work, especially if the player is good at macro and can keep their economy going. It's also a bit nerve wrecking for a while if nothing comes. If that's the case you should not go for the liar at first and head roaches instead. Once again it all comes to scouting, macro and a mixed army.

So to sum it up I've been using 6 pool as a defense.

Whether or not you send them in for a rush doesn't matter, you still take a macro hit from doing it. People that do send them will do the exact same thing your doing while keeping them for defense, only difference will be they'll lose all their zerglings if they don't pull them out. It's a good defense for rushes/early allins, not sure if I'd like the econ hit that often doing it.

What do you guys think of the ai so far? I haven't had much time for ladder, but I've gotten some games in against the comp. They are better than I was expecting them to be, I would rate the blizzard hard ai as equal and better too the good user made ai's (greentea,starcrack)

The AI is a challenge. I have noticed through replays that the hard AI has a slight speed advantage when building. I'm not sure if this applies to units being created or just buildings. I believe the strength of their early units might be slightly stronger than normal as well. I haven't tried very hard or insane yet. I did read that insane has the same boost in resource gathering that they did for wc3 insane, so that is a real challenge.

In my experience with the 6 pool defense you don't take as much of a hit in the economy. You still take a hit, don't get me wrong, but it's not the same as if you send them out for a rush. It's still why scouting is the most important thing you can do. If you see a 6 pool coming you are ready for it, and if you see a different path you're opponent is taking you can easily switch up and ramp up drone production.

The AI is a challenge. I have noticed through replays that the hard AI has a slight speed advantage when building. I'm not sure if this applies to units being created or just buildings. I believe the strength of their early units might be slightly stronger than normal as well. I haven't tried very hard or insane yet. I did read that insane has the same boost in resource gathering that they did for wc3 insane, so that is a real challenge.

My buddy and I just got the "beat insane computers 15 times in a row in 2v2" achievement... so they're not really that big of a challenge ;)

On another note... anyone else getting just flatout weird lag issues in game? My FPS before patch 16 was like 50-100+, but now I'm pretty much stuck between 30-45. What's weird is that it's completely inconsistent. Sometimes when the game starts I'll be at 30-35 fps at my start location, but when I scroll over to my partner's start location (same race), it'll go up to 60 fps for no reason. Just doesn't make any sense.

I would say the Blizz Very Hard isnt as hard as the Starcrack Hard ai. Blizz's zerg unit composition is too anti land heavy mid to late game, and they don't learn to counter air. You can just mass up vrays or bcs and totally own everything. You can actually just kill the anti air and move on, until they are food capped. One game my friend had 5 BC over a full screen of roaches, zerglings, and zealots. The ai would send in like 40 units and only 10 would hit air.
Starcrack's ai would actually counter your units. If you built a bunch of land units, they would build land offense units, but if they saw you with air, they would build anti air. Also, if they had no units that could hit you, they would retreat. Starcrack's ai also expanded more aggressively.
I do like how Blizz's terran ai does drops though, but I haven't seen any of the other ai's do drops.

they need to fix the in-game voice chat and where are CHAT channels!?

Chat channels are supposed to come after the retail release, and I've given up on voice chat being any good. I've accepted the fact that I'll have to use TeamSpeak or Vent with my friends, but no big deal.

teamspeak > vent

this round of beta is packed full of noobs. i went 5-0 with my 1v1 placements but nothing anywhere near that with 2v2s or 3v3s. people disconnecting after first few mins or just being completely awful. arranged team or 1v1 is where its at.

Last edited:
this round of beta is packed full of noobs. i went 5-0 with my 1v1 placements but nothing anywhere near that with 2v2s or 3v3s. people disconnecting after first few mins or just being completely awful. arranged team or 1v1 is where its at.

Arranged team is the only way I'd do it. Random teams, ugh, no thanks. Only random games I'll play are ladder 1v1, otherwise what's the point?

Fortunately I've got loads of people to play with in my team games, makes it 1000x more fun.

Arranged team is the only way I'd do it. Random teams, ugh, no thanks. Only random games I'll play are ladder 1v1, otherwise what's the point?

Fortunately I've got loads of people to play with in my team games, makes it 1000x more fun.

Why not random team, because you're afraid of getting noobs? Equal chance the other team gets them too.

Ah christ getting that 1v4 very hard AI achievement is annoying me. The 1v2 insane achievement was many times easier.

I'm playing on Extinction and I first tried to do the terran lift off to battlecruiser strategy. I secured both island expansions + 1 more before deciding to do battle with 24 battlecruisers... Things didn't end so well when they got chain feedbacked before they could even dump their yamato cannons. I actually held my own for a while before simply running out of resources. The epic last stand of my fleet with each battlecruiser at 50+ kills against motherships, void rays, high templars, corruptors, and all sorts of baddies was the saddest thing I've seen in beta when 3 red HP battlecruisers came out of the fray and almost single handedly destroyed 2 bases before finally dying :(

So I tried again with a tower rush -> void rays / island camping strategy. I think this was a closer game since I completely took out one computer and crippled another with only 6 or so cannons. I secured one island but one of the computers took the other island very early so I was stuck at 1 base for most of the game... The computers then did something I had never seen them do - drop a butt load of stuff at my island. That ended the game pretty quick there. No amount of void ray harass got them to leave me alone. If I had managed to take out 2 computers with tower rush + secured both islands I think the game was mine... gonna try again tomorrow.

Why not random team, because you're afraid of getting noobs? Equal chance the other team gets them too.

right and i must have gotten a bad batch of games. but thats the problem. you could go a whole night with bad luck and its just miserable. and then you get placed in bad league and it continues...i am out to get better and better, not get stuck in silver or gold league wondering how horrendous my next teammate will be trying to battle out of it into better league. ive been in beta since beginning and the most recent beta set before they closed it i was in diamond in everything (well 1v1, 2v2, 3v3) and THAT produced some of the best most fun games i have played yet.

What makes Teamspeak better than Ventrillo? My friends and I use vent and if there is something better I'd like to pick it up.

i still get that dumb glitch where Gas Mines sometimes show up as a White glowing Gas Mine like the graphic is screwed up.

i still get that dumb glitch where Gas Mines sometimes show up as a White glowing Gas Mine like the graphic is screwed up.

I think most do. I experience it and so does my friend. Also, in custom games, if there is some type of score screen the color is all messed up too.

Same here. They look kind of pink to me. I'm on an ATi 5770. How about you? Also, I only see it on the rocky gas mines. The techno ones (like in metalopolis) show up fine.

All of the beta keys were given out a long time ago, I've been playing for like 3 months now. Not to worry though, the game launches in two weeks!

I get that and my friend who has a gtx 280 also gets it. I think it's just a corrupt or missing texture.

EDIT: I'm patching right now... anyone know the notes?

Last edited:
It won't let any of my computers log in now. Complains about being an unknown client version after the patch.

So I figured out why SC2 appeared to be lagging for me. My 5870's clocks aren't increasing from its idle clocks when SC2 runs. I just checked and the max temps it reached were 58 C @ 400/900 (multi-monitor idle clocks) vs. the 850/1200 it's supposed to be running. Sigh.

Back