Starbucks-themed PC mod coming soon

Stratus

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I need your help. Have you heard of anyone doing a Starbucks-theme mod? Got any links to them? I'm in the process of building a PC mod based off a discontinued Starbucks Barista expresso machine. The machine I'm going to use is pictured below. Should be a fun case to put a mini ITX HTPC rig in. =)

0RbQ1nK6XnMO2D6hZ.jpg

excuse my ignorance, but are those your pics? Are you going to/did you obtain an old machine or from scratch?
I think it will be nice either way.

excuse my ignorance, but are those your pics? Are you going to/did you obtain an old machine or from scratch?
I think it will be nice either way.

No, I pulled those pics off ifixit.com. But, I'm going to be modding the same unit after I get back from Quakecon next week. I was just pinging you guys to see if anyone has done this mod yet. =)

Aside from the thread crapping going on, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on doing a Starbucks-themed PC mod. From the unit pictured above, what would you add to this unit? Would you keep it intact to allow it to make shots and steam milk still? I was entertaining the idea, but it might not be feasible for all the hardware I want to add to it. I really just want to keep the shell mostly intact so it still looks like a barista machine.

+1

Tim Horton's Iced Capp > Anything at Starbucks. And they have doughnuts. That and there is no Starbucks here in Afghanistan. Case Closed.

cant agree with this one my friend, you clearly havent had a java chip from starbucks ;)

Hahaha. Well I am looking forward to this rig, what kind of features you looking to add?

Hahaha. Well I am looking forward to this rig, what kind of features you looking to add?

Well, it's definitely going to have a mini ITX board and I'm thinking of adding a hot-swap HDD cage and a 7" touch-screen LCD too. I also have a cool Lenovo bluetooth mini keyboard I'd like to incorporate somehow too. I'm also adding a slim Blu-Ray player as well.

Not sure if it will be able to make coffee still or not though. Still need to work out the logistics of that one.

There's a Tim Horton's in Afghanistan?

Yes, in Kandahar. It's the only Timmy's outside of Canada. You can't deploy Canadian troops without a Timmy's apparently. And an iced cap and some timbits is an awesome way to start the day hunting terrorists.

Yes, in Kandahar. It's the only Timmy's outside of Canada. You can't deploy Canadian troops without a Timmy's apparently. And an iced cap and some timbits is an awesome way to start the day hunting terrorists.

Got something to look forward to if I get sent there

There are many Tim Horton's in the US, so I'm not sure what you mean by the one in Afghanistan is the only one outside of Canada?

OT, that's a pretty cool idea for a mod! I look forward to seeing the finished product. :)

Quit jacking his thread, he already hinted he didn't like it.
I don't think you should make it functional, Not only would there be space issues but heat and condensation as well correct?
Unless you can completely seal off the 2 different sets of components.
Is there a bit larger machine you want to mimic? I don't have a good sense of scale for that machine. I do think if any Starbucks lovers saw you chop up a discontinued machine they would come after you, lol.

I do think if any Starbucks lovers saw you chop up a discontinued machine they would come after you, lol.

They cant be any worse than Apple lovers when we cut up one of their cases!! :D

I think the idea is cool. And forget making it functional as a coffee machine. Getting coffee is the only excuse I have to get away from the desk.

Quit jacking his thread, he already hinted he didn't like it.
I don't think you should make it functional, Not only would there be space issues but heat and condensation as well correct?
Unless you can completely seal off the 2 different sets of components.
Is there a bit larger machine you want to mimic? I don't have a good sense of scale for that machine. I do think if any Starbucks lovers saw you chop up a discontinued machine they would come after you, lol.

I want to keep the chassis as intact as possible, but I'm with you in that I don't think I can keep it as a functional expresso machine. There isn't anything out there I want to mimic that I've seen. I'm just going to sketch up how the components will fit and show you guys once I actually get the chassis shipped to me next week. It will definitely have a mini ITX board, slim blu-ray player, 7" touch-screen LCD, mini bluebooth keyboard, and a hot-swap hard drive cage. =)

Sorry for the thread derailment. Looks like a cool idea though, good luck!

It's going to happen. I'll start a new worklog once I get all the parts in and figure out how much hardware I can cram into it. =)

I'd personally just drive across the border.

It's way less expensive than flying to the Middle East.

Got Tim Hortons back home. Already in ME and might get sent to Afghanistan.

Now, get to work on that PC!. I am always intrigued with small PCs, especially when in a unique case.

I'll do my best to keep it functional. Probably won't be able to though unless I built something else into it to hold more hard drives and other stuff.

Back