Star Wars Trilogy DVD pre-order $36.99

These are the enhanced versions - no Lea adjusting her bra when crawling out of the trash compactor or Han shooting first in the cantina. Lucas stated no DVD release of original versions.

Xeese said:
These are the enhanced versions - no Lea adjusting her bra when crawling out of the trash compactor or Han shooting first in the cantina. Lucas stated no DVD release of original versions.

:( , oh well I am a big enough Star Wars fan to buy them anyways

FWIW - Blockbuster are doing a preorder type deal - I think we paid $59, but it comes with 7 video rentals ... and you can walk into the store next Tuesday and have instant gratification :)

Works for me, might not work for you.

Xeese said:

Which means no money from me. I don't mind the enhancement, but changing the plot to make it more politically correct annoys me. He claims that he couldn't make the movie he wanted the first time around, but these are plot changes, not technological advances.

Version One: Solo shoots first.
Version Two: Greedo shoots first.
Version Three: Solo and Greedo shoot together.
Version Four: Solo and Greedo point their radios at each other.
Version Five: Cantina scene deleted aftre request from AA.

In my remake, Leia shoots Greedo in the back, then exclaims "Can we go now? We're kind of in a hurry."

It's too bad that people with Fry's stores in their state have to pay tax on this. Otherwise it would have been a pretty good deal.

Zamboni said:
Which means no money from me. I don't mind the enhancement, but changing the plot to make it more politically correct annoys me. He claims that he couldn't make the movie he wanted the first time around, but these are plot changes, not technological advances.

Version One: Solo shoots first.
Version Two: Greedo shoots first.
Version Three: Solo and Greedo shoot together.
Version Four: Solo and Greedo point their radios at each other.
Version Five: Cantina scene deleted aftre request from AA.

In my remake, Leia shoots Greedo in the back, then exclaims "Can we go now? We're kind of in a hurry."

I would have to agree, finding the little bloopers in a movie is what makes watching it over and over again great. Taking those out becuase you dont like them ruin the movie for me. Kinda like watching a movie on tv, always pisses me off when i am expecting a scene and they cut it out. I for one will not be buying these hack jobs of a great movie.

JEEVES

Don't worry, chances are the originals will be out sometime this century. That is, after episode 3 is out on vhs, then dvd, then offered in a ep1-3 trilogy in vhs, then dvd, then vhs for the full 6-parts, then dvd for all...then Lucas Films will start to offer the originals on DVD. :p :rolleyes:

I plan to get it as a xmas present so I can see them in their full dvd9 clairity & get DTS. Unless you have one helluva VCR that can fake 5.1 sound, I'd really suggest getting these if only for the sound...the vid is super clear too (esp. on PC).

Anyways, I'm tempted at this price...

HiProfile said:
Don't worry, chances are the originals will be out sometime this century. That is, after episode 3 is out on vhs, then dvd, then offered in a ep1-3 trilogy in vhs, then dvd, then vhs for the full 6-parts, then dvd for all...then Lucas Films will start to offer the originals on DVD. :p :rolleyes:
Exactly. There's parts from the re-release that were an improvement, but I definitely could have done without the obnoxious dance that was added in Jedi.

Who fired first? Who cares! 99% of viewers would not have noticed the difference. I know I didn't.

Smartest money grabbing greed move I've ever seen coming out of Hollywood.

Lucas is a genius.

As much as I would have liked to have the original version on DVD, it doesn't look like they're coming out any time soon, and I don't own any Star Wars movies. I'll still buy it just for the 5.1 surround mix.

Exactly what lucas wants .

Later on He'll release the original version. One at a time. Smart...

I have the trilogy on VHS before the "special edition" was put out. Do I have originals or modifications?

It's the original theatrical release I beleive with THX enhancements to audio and digital video remastery. That's the version in the black box btw.

the only thing I can say is.... I'm getting it but in protest...... DAMN YOU LUCAS, I want the ones I saw in the theater.... well at least the ones were I was alive at the time, lessee, I was born in 78 so.... I onlly got to see empire (dont remeber much, I remeber ET more) and jedi, and I had all the burger king glasses at the time too... bah

oh and Mr_Evil I dont belive you have ever said anything to me, so I'm telling you now

and dont let the JUN 2004 join date fool ya.... I just never posted to much in here, was up to 200 posts and had joined WAY back in nov of 2001.... but you go 3 months with out a post and they get rid of ya

SO these will be the special edition ones? Not just enhanced. I remember rigging up fake surroudn sound to watch those tapes. It worked ok too. Quad stereo actually.

Ok Judd, you smell, and your mother dresses you funny. BWHAAHAHAHA!

I'm definitely buying the Trilogy on DVD, just because I have no way to watch my VHS version (no VCR). Some of the changes I don't neccessarily agree with, but there's not anything I can do about it. I mean of Da Vinci decided to paint a handlebar moustache and goatee on the Mona Lisa after painting her there's not a shittin thing anybody could do about it. IT"S HIS WORK!

I have the original version on VHS in the original display box, but that is pushing 20 years old and I never watch them anymore for fear they will break. I'm gonna pick this up for 5.1 sound alone though.

Regardless of the scene additions, the digital technology and sound enhancement is worth the price of adding the trilogy to your DVD collection. I had many of the classics on VCR including the three in the trilogy, but the slow decay of time took it's toll on the quality of the tapes.....and they are now unwatchable....something that hopefully won't happen with DVDs.

MajorDomo said:
Regardless of the scene additions, the digital technology and sound enhancement is worth the price of adding the trilogy to your DVD collection. I had many of the classics on VCR including the three in the trilogy, but the slow decay of time took it's toll on the quality of the tapes.....and they are now unwatchable....something that hopefully won't happen with DVDs.

Just get the LD version like i did. They dont have the 5.1 mix ( i dont think the orginal movies did either) and the will only degrade if you dont play them at least once a year.

LD, the only format that wants to be played. No wonder if failed, studios want formats that break so you by new ones.

or... you could always record parts of the original release, and splice it into the DVD release. That would work great!

well i have DVD's made from the LD's

but I will also be buying this, better picture and 5.1 sound.

Now I heard that Lucas was making more changes to the DVD edition

one of which included making Han shoot first again.
and the other rumored one was that they were replacing the old anakin (vader when he takes his mask off) face with the new actor (hayden christensen or whatever) now if they did that I would most likely never watch 3rd one.

Lucus said he will not be releasing the originals on DVD when you can get them on VHS. I read in a interview some where. Whether he will go by this or not, only time will tell.

Well, first off, thanks to the original poster for the link.

Secondly, since this thread will doubtlessly be locked soon, I suggest some of you go outside occasionally and stop stressing out over changes made to a movie that you have no control over. I really wasn't aware of these changes and would've likely never been aware if people weren't whining and crying about them all the time. It's unfortunate that some people will let little things ruin a whole movie, instead of just saying "Meh, that was kind of lame George" and enjoying the rest of the movie accordingly. I can forgive little changes here and there that Lucas wanted to make, as it's HIS FUCKING MOVIE... at least he didn't do a Spielburg at change all the guns to walkie-talkies.

As for me, I'm just happy they're coming out on DVD now in either form. Originally Lucas and Co said they weren't coming out until Ep3 was released on DVD; obviously that has changed. I saw Ep5 & Ep6 in the theaters when they were first released, own some of the original tapes and have the Blue and the Gold box sets from the 90's, along with a very nice VCR that I paid way too much money for. The tapes have sat unused for years and the VCR only gets used to watch kiddie movies. Why? Because watching a tape on a 57" widescreen sucks, not to mention the sound isn't there either. Even on my 36" screen tapes still look far inferior to DVD. *THAT* is what most of us care about - great picture and great sound.

So just let it go... more important things in your lives to stress about that a goddamned movie.

/rant and IBTL :p ;)

*edit* BTW, seeing how Outpost charges shipping (and possibly tax too) ordering it from Amazon comes out to about the same price. */edit*

Regards,
fastgeek

I broke my Star Wars VHS tape. from watching so much. I refused to buy another until the DVD's were released.

Do I care that Lucas has cleaned up the movie, add extra effects, and dropped in 5.1 sound?

Nope.

Its not going to be as thrilling as watching your first driven in movie back in 77 (when I was 7 ... ALMOST 8 (that ALMOST is important when you are that age ;) ), but now we have better sound than the crappy "hook over the window" speakers, and with a nice big 60" widescreen, your field of view is about perfect.

10:00am EDT, and my local Blockbuster will have me sitting at their door waiting to pick up my pre-order (crap just remembered I had to take a movie back - Godsend, not a bad movie, but an ending that went no where - damn, may as well just take it back tomorrow). Don't think my boss is going to hear from me tomorrow (advantage of telecommuting :D)

Anyone know if these are "letterbox" or anamorphic WS?

If they are letterbox, ill pass. If they are anamorphic, I'm all over this :)

Rob

Robstar said:
Anyone know if these are "letterbox" or anamorphic WS?

If they are letterbox, ill pass. If they are anamorphic, I'm all over this :)

Rob

According to what I've seen the Aspect Ratio is 2.35:1... and IIRC that's letterbox. I like the 1.85:1 transfers better since it fills up the entire screen on a 16x9 set, but it's still a lot more bearable than watching a letterbox widescreen DVD on a 4:3 set.

Regards,
fastgeek

Mine just got here from the buy.com preorder (Widescreen)

Anamorphic Widescreen (Aspect Ratio 2.35:1)
English Dolby 5.1 surround EX, English Dolby 2.0 surround, French Dolby 2.0 surround, Spanish Dolby 2.0 surround

Truely noob question: What is Anamorphic Widescreen? Sorry, I've never seen a movie at that aspect ratio....
:confused:

CAD OC'er said:
Truely noob question: What is Anamorphic Widescreen? Sorry, I've never seen a movie at that aspect ratio....
:confused:

Ok put on your thunkin cap. At the movies you normaly have wide screen material to watch. The movie is alot wider then your normal tv set. Dvd is a 4/3 format just like your normal television. If you put a normal wide screen movie on a dvd, with out altering it, its called letter box (just like a normal letter in the mail). YOu have black bars at the top and the bottom of the screen.

This preserves the full movie just as it was seen in theaters. The problem is that your are wasting all that black bar area and lowering the resolution of the movie (720 by 400). What a anamorphic dvd transfer does, is it squishes the whole letter box movie into a 4/3 frame. So there are no black bars and the dvd can use more resolution in the movie. Now on a normal 4/3 tv this would look very funny, as everything would be stretched verticaly ( every one would be tall and thin). Now if you have a normal 4/3 tv you dont gain anything from this, the dvd player just puts the black bars back in. Now if you have a newer wide screen tv (hdtv) then the tv can strech out the picture to fill the whole screen. This gives about a 33% better picture on wide screen tvs, and it cost almost nothing to do.

Most movies that come out on dvd are anamorphic ( also called 16/9 enhanced). You dont have to worry about buying one ( i look for them, as they have better picture) unless you want the 4/3 version that looks like the old vhs copies.

To put it easier. They get a movie, have a camera watch it with a walleye vision lens on it (kinda like hal 9000) and record it. Then you have a choice of having the dvd player convert it to work with your 4/3 tv, or have your wide screen tv stretch it out for you. It will look alot better if you have the tv strech it out for you. Pc dvd players stretch it out for you automaticly. Thats why you dont have black bars most of the time when you watch them on the computer.

to put it even easier. Its poor mans jimmy rigged hdtv:)

... OK. Couldn't wait. Got it home. Ripped off the plastic. Dropped it in the DVD player. After watching the VHS version for so many years on a 27" 4:3 TV, 60" of widescreen progressive scan digital goodness is just beautiful.

AND they have a new THX "test" at the beginning. Not as cool as the "Can'o'cows" from Toy Story 2, but not too bad :D Its a geek thing .. honestly :rolleyes:

Just thought you all might be interested.

I went to Wal-mart (Phoenix) with a co-worker at lunch to get him a pocket-knife and decided to step over and see if they a)had it and b)would price-match it to the local Fry's for $36.99.

Turns out they a)did and b)wouldn't. Probably because they had it for $36.87. :p

Feel sorry for all those getting screwed out of $0.12.

Unfortunately I don't have a Fry's near me (about 40 miles)... and quite frankly I'm too lazy to fight with pricematching. Their normal price for the widescreen DVDs was $42.88; which was perfectly OK with me. In and out in five minutes, will be enjoying the movie tonight. :) Pretty much the same price as @ Amazon too.

Back