Star Wars Fans And Video Game Geeks More Likely To Be Narcissists

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
The results from a “Geek Culture Engagement Scale” and “Geek Identity Scale” have found that we are neurotic and possibly suffer from non-clinical depression.

Subjects are scored on a scale of one to five, depending on how often they take part in activities such as live action role playing games, Dungeons and Dragons, cosplaying, puppetry, robotics - and enjoying things such as video games and Star Wars.

mmm I would think this goes more for that vocal minority, the people that cry and bitch that there's a black Storm Trooper, or Story changes in a Comic Book Movie. Or some kind of lore change in a MMO, etc

my 2 cents

I mean..look at all the bitching about spoilers for the film. Seriously I have never seen more uproar over a single movie..Ever. If you are so freaking worried about spoilers, avoid public places like message boards. The moaning was truly epic about this one. I actually had to go out of my way to find spoilers since they don't bother me as they don't ruin the movie for me. I think it took me 3 days to find even a decent spoiler since I don't plan on watching it until it hits blu-ray..and I was Actively looking! I heard more people moaning about spoilers and saw more banners on websites bitching than I saw actual spoilers.

I suspect you'd see similar findings with other similarly obsessed groups.

Well, researchers would hit a gold mine with the MOBA crowd! ;)

I would think he's too focused on the cosplayers. Of course they're narcissistic. Most geeks are largely too introverted to play dress up and pose for pictures in public. It attracts too much attention. There's nothing really wrong with posing for pictures in your fancy costume, but it's more acting or performance art than obsessing over the subject itself.

Big Star Wars and Star Trek fan but I steer clear from some other fans especially the socially ackward snd aspies. Sorry sounds cruel but I've had my fill of obnoxious neck beards.

I mean..look at all the bitching about spoilers for the film. Seriously I have never seen more uproar over a single movie..Ever. If you are so freaking worried about spoilers, avoid public places like message boards. The moaning was truly epic about this one. I actually had to go out of my way to find spoilers since they don't bother me as they don't ruin the movie for me. I think it took me 3 days to find even a decent spoiler since I don't plan on watching it until it hits blu-ray..and I was Actively looking! I heard more people moaning about spoilers and saw more banners on websites bitching than I saw actual spoilers.

I think the outrage came from people intentionally spoiling the movie rather than from discussions. This spoiler got posted everywhere from Gamespot comment section to Twitch chat, articles or stream that has got nothing to do with Star Wars.

It may have started earlier, but I first noticed this behavior from Fallout 4 spoilers, people were creating fake accounts to post it's ending spoilers on Youtube, game review site comment section, etc. They are going out of their way just to spoil something for others.

I'm not a fan of star wars myself so it didn't bother me, but I think it's kind of retarded to intentionally devote such effort just to ruin things for others.

well Star Wars is like the new "Snape Kills Dumbledore" people were going out of there way to spoil it for folks,

'Geek' is a broad term that covers youth culture in general. You have to be careful about making broad claims about possible connections between certain behaviors and 'geek' interests.

Sounds to me like they've simply discovered that teenagers are assholes.

4905504487_cc5f07c564_b.jpg

Narcissism? NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

From my personal experience doing a lot of conventions and video game events such as large international gaming tournaments I can see where star wars fans and video game fans can be seen as narcissistic. I don't think they completely are though. . When we socialize we tend to talk about our personal experience. Star wars and videos games are ultimately something more likely enjoyed as a individual over the course of time. Sports fans, who can be equally as zealous, share an experience throughout the year so their discussions tend to be team related outside of armchair quarterbacking.

Not to say there isn't some truth to the statement about their Narcism. As a professional photographer I've had the pleasure of working with some high level models and also semi famous cosplay models. Cosplay models tend to display massive self esteem issues but also ego about themselves. . I think sometimes though it's them inflating their online persona but also because of the nature of how personal photography sessions are I get to see their more personal real side.

Most people who do see the cosplayer publicly sees a super narcisitic person.

The only star wars video game geek I dislike are the passive aggressive ones who hate others for liking things they don't like. The ones that hate organized sports and also fans who are as big into something g as they are. Last year my fiance was a model for the Xbox one room for Smite and some skinny game neck wisp beard instantly just said to her "you don't even know what smite is, you are being paid just for your looks" (despite her playing it for 6 months by then) . She looked at him straight in the eye and said "I do know what sex with a real person is, and it feels good" .

I knew a narcissist, once, who was a Star Wars fan. Gods gift to network technicians, he thought he was.

Narcissism? NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

How many have watched Star Wars, though? :)

I find a lot of people like the geek pop culture stuff, but it's very trendy these days. I hear stuff like "It's cool nerd stuff". WTF?! Why couldn't think happen when I was in high school? I would have been Brad Fucking Pitt in high school. Nerdy geek stuff was never cool. Dressing up in Star Wars stuff wasn't even cool during the prequels. This new generation of "nerds & geeks" are more likely to be narcissists because they are following the trends.

Those that aren't narcissists are typically the nerds and geeks that most of us really know. A few narcissists in there, but typically not really.

Back