Hope it is actually a grand strategy game and not just a 4x Star Trek game marketed as also a grand strategy. 4X games are fun to play once in a while, but they are just completely outclassed by modern grand strategy games.

but they are just completely outclassed by modern grand strategy games.
Really depends on what type of gameplay you're looking for. Paradox grand strategy titles are usually bland on gameplay and sacrifice depth/realism in favor of "map painting" and role playing.

Been awhile since they've made a good one, and reinventing how Stellaris plays constantly doesn't count.

Really depends on what type of gameplay you're looking for. Paradox grand strategy titles are usually bland on gameplay and sacrifice depth/realism in favor of "map painting" and role playing.

Been awhile since they've made a good one, and reinventing how Stellaris plays constantly doesn't count.
That pretty much applies to 4x games too doesn't it? The games are even much shorter because you run out of new things to do so quickly. However, I do agree that Paradox games have much less depth than they potentially could. How popular a more in-depth game will be? Not sure. There are definitely design improvements in depth they could do without making the games more complicated (potentially scaring away more players), though I personally would love them to be more complicated too if it added even more depth.

Of course, take a look at Victoria 3 and how its popularity has plunged. One of the big complaints is lack of depth currently. Same with Imperator that they actually had to shut down development on - on that one they publicly stated their goal was a "streamlined / simplified" experience. So apparently there is a certain amount of depth their customer base requires, so I am sure there is room to expand without losing customers. Just needs good UI and overall gameplay design.

Also, I completely agree with you when it comes to vanilla Paradox games. But when using total overhaul mods that significantly expand on gameplay, I haven't seen any 4x game come close in gameplay depth and replayability. But yes...Imperator, CK3, and Victoria 3 have all been mediocre so far. The last decent one was Stellaris seven years ago.

Meh, Stellaris has been a vehicle for roleplaying dlc now for 3-5 years more than a coherent game. Time will tell but I have no faith that this game won't be stellaris on steroids in that respect. All about the dlc to keep making money while each one screws up the game even more.

I think I would rather have another Elite Force than this, but that's just me.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Here's a review from someone that had early access to the game for a few days. His summary:
- If you're a Star Trek fan, you'll get 30-40 hours of gameplay out of it (through the four factions and differing story lines), but beyond that, there's no replayability.
- Early access bugs that broke the storyline. That might be fixed in the full release.
- Game screams DLC.
- It's more than just a Star Trek skinned Stellaris.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qcd-TtZH_A

Anyone pick this up yet?
No, I assume all Star Trek games suck until proven otherwise. Sadly they don't have a good track record with the franchise. So I'll wait until it is out and see what reviewers say.

Reactions: uOpt
like this
Back