Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Arguing this point is retarded.

The game is pretty good but damn it is bright and the voice acting is almost worse than English dubbed Naruto.

4 hours into the game and Have to say I still don't have a full grasp on the fighting, but star ocean 3 took a while to fully get the hang of.

all i can say is that bonus boards are evil system that makes you play non stop.

So which four are people using for battle ?

**** maybe its best to include a spoiler for anyone post Baccus (as Bacchus is the last character covered in the instruction manual) ****

***Spoiler

I am using Edge, Bacchus, Meracle, and Lymle ... 'kay

I just got the little girl who using Fire spells and damn she is annoying but quite good compared to the archer.

I will probably uses Edge for the only upclose fighter and then 3 magic users, as soon as I can get 3 magic users in the game.

I'm playing Star Ocean First Departure on PSP. It's pretty sweet so far.

So which four are people using for battle ?

**** maybe its best to include a spoiler for anyone post Baccus (as Bacchus is the last character covered in the instruction manual) ****

***Spoiler

I am using Edge, Bacchus, Meracle, and Lymle ... 'kay

I refuse to use lymle even if she was the best character in the game she is sitting on the bench. Anything I can do to make me forget about her.

I use the main character, the huge jug elf chick, the chick you are in love with and umm the dude with the huge cleaver type thing (sheath?) like a thing you use to cut wheat down.

Mages sadly do not fare well post game, quite a few bosses have massive elemental resistance. The way physical critical is calculated in this game doesn't help either.

Mages sadly do not fare well post game, quite a few bosses have massive elemental resistance. The way physical critical is calculated in this game doesn't help either.

If this proves to be true that will suck because that is how I have played all the other star oceans.

I just beat boss 2 and it was a hell of a lot easier than boss 1 due to having healing magic, so I will probably try and use 4 people with healing magic as soon as I can get 4 of them.

If the US version has a Japanese vocal track, its a guaranteed sale from me. I'm still bitter over the Tales series lacking one.

another spoiler!!!!!!!

The battles arent too bad, get quite easy actually. I was quite suprirsed about the rude awakening you get fighting the spider like ant in the underground tunnel. It took me almost an hour to beat of constant battling and healing and dying and using almost all my items. It was a lot of fun though and the challenge was enjoyed...I wish i went into the battle with a full bonus board as you get 100k exp!!

make game too easy alert

I didn't really upgrade anything because i didn't want to make the spells cost more and just got the HP+ and put all my sp into that now Edge has 5000+hp While everyone else has just over 1000.

I'm sure this is only going to be a temporary making the game too easy but still nothing can kill Edge now.

Well my one month old replacement 360 (Yep, it's a Jasper too) decided to start freezing as soon as I landed on Roak. It's frozen 4 times now and I've given up for the night. Time to take it back to Best Buy I suppose.

Nothing like getting fairly far in this game only to have to start 1 hr back because of the save point spacing. *sigh* :(

If this proves to be true that will suck because that is how I have played all the other star oceans.

I just beat boss 2 and it was a hell of a lot easier than boss 1 due to having healing magic, so I will probably try and use 4 people with healing magic as soon as I can get 4 of them.

A party of 4 healers would mean your entire team is comprised of three mages and a single physical fighter. Quite a few post-game bosses are immune to elemental damage if I recall correctly.

Well my one month old replacement 360 (Yep, it's a Jasper too) decided to start freezing as soon as I landed on Roak. It's frozen 4 times now and I've given up for the night. Time to take it back to Best Buy I suppose.

Nothing like getting fairly far in this game only to have to start 1 hr back because of the save point spacing. *sigh* :(

A LOT of people have been complaining about lock ups with this game. Rumor has it that playing it at 720p doesn't cause you to crash as much.

another spoiler!!!!!!!

The battles arent too bad, get quite easy actually. I was quite suprirsed about the rude awakening you get fighting the spider like ant in the underground tunnel. It took me almost an hour to beat of constant battling and healing and dying and using almost all my items. It was a lot of fun though and the challenge was enjoyed...I wish i went into the battle with a full bonus board as you get 100k exp!!

If you don't blindside that boss the fight will drag on forever.

There are people who took 2-3 hours to beat the final boss while some other people only took 10 minutes to defeat that boss on Galaxy mode.

A party of 4 healers would mean your entire team is comprised of three mages and a single physical fighter. Quite a few post-game bosses are immune to elemental damage if I recall correctly.

A LOT of people have been complaining about lock ups with this game. Rumor has it that playing it at 720p doesn't cause you to crash as much.

Hmm really? That's pretty stupid but if it works, I'll try that. I haven't had any problems with the game until I landed on Roak.

Edit: Just found a pretty lengthy blog post about the issue. Thanks for the heads-up.

Star Ocean 4 would of sold more on the PS3 in Japan but most likely not in North America & other territories. Japans gaming market is very small now compared to the western countries. 160K in sales in Japan is like the equivalent to at least 500,000 in North American Sales. It was a smart move by Square to make it an Xbox 360 exclusive since they knew sales would be stronger on the Xbox 360 when it came to other territories other than Japan & on top of that, they got paid off by MS. In the end, they're probably doubling up on money made compared to the game being released on the PS3. The game is great thus far. I'm really enjoying it.

Haven't even been playing it that long and already got stuck. Ran out of Electric Rings in the lizard planet and I need to defrost the room the get the ID badge. anyway to refill this ring or is there something I'm missing.

Haven't even been playing it that long and already got stuck. Ran out of Electric Rings in the lizard planet and I need to defrost the room the get the ID badge. anyway to refill this ring or is there something I'm missing.

You can recharge them at some of the other panels that were blown up when you used the ring on them.

There are people who took 2-3 hours to beat the final boss while some other people only took 10 minutes to defeat that boss on Galaxy mode.

I've been playing at 1080p on a launch 360 with the newer DVD drive, and it's been totally smooth sailing over a VGA cable. *shrugs*

Well, the problem with that is there is no setting for healers to 'play defense and heal party' so for most of the fight I had to select the healer and cast faerie healing over and over again while the cpu fought the monster.

I do blindside and I am ok at it, fine with normal monsters but it can be tough to time at times with the bosses. I am kinda going through the game faster as I want to go through on the hardest difficulty and wait till then to get all the extras.

Also, I play on a 720p tv and have no crashes on disk 3 right now.

I got stuck there as well, was very confused.

I got stuck there as well, was very confused.

Some conduits you blow up will sparkle with electricity. You can charge the rings there. I believe the first door you overload with the Thunder Ring is one of them.

I've been playing at 1080p on a launch 360 with the newer DVD drive, and it's been totally smooth sailing over a VGA cable. *shrugs*

I've been playing on 1080p with HDMI without any lockups as well. Hence, why I said rumor has it. :p

Well, the problem with that is there is no setting for healers to 'play defense and heal party' so for most of the fight I had to select the healer and cast faerie healing over and over again while the cpu fought the monster.

Eh? There is a tactic for mages and Edge to "Stay Out Of Trouble." You can turn off any skills you do not want the AI to use from the Use Skill menu and pressing X on the skill you want to stop the AI from using.

Also, critical hits bypass physical defense.

glad I asked about charging the ring before I spent anymore time trying.

Just beat that boss and now I think the game is drastically too easy after using the HP+ edge already has 9000 hp and the dragon was only hitting for like 70. Seriously slaughtered the boss in about 2 Minutes.

Still like the game even though its too easy Kay.

Do you break 9999 HP? I am assuming yes considering I am almost there and only 14 hours into the game.

Some conduits you blow up will sparkle with electricity. You can charge the rings there. I believe the first door you overload with the Thunder Ring is one of them.

I've been playing on 1080p with HDMI without any lockups as well. Hence, why I said rumor has it. :p

Eh? There is a tactic for mages and Edge to "Stay Out Of Trouble." You can turn off any skills you do not want the AI to use from the Use Skill menu and pressing X on the skill you want to stop the AI from using.

Also, critical hits bypass physical defense.
Yes, I saw the stay out of trouble but when I did that the mages just sat there doing hardly anything hmmm I didnt know you could turn off and on skills so you're saying I could set her skills to only healing and she will just heal eh? You almost need a strategy guide for this game, not for the fights but all these dang options and crafting. I am almost at the end of the game, I never replay games but the combat keeps you interested so I think I will give her another go round on the harder difficulty and try to revisit planets and whatnot.

You can turn off skills be going to the skills by going to the Use Skills menu and selecting the skill. You'll see that there's a little icon that says On or Off for the skills. X them to turn it on or off.

There's a lot of crap in this game to go through without outside resources such as a forum or guide.

You can turn off skills be going to the skills by going to the Use Skills menu and selecting the skill. You'll see that there's a little icon that says On or Off for the skills. X them to turn it on or off.

There's a lot of crap in this game to go through without outside resources such as a forum or guide.

That's why I always buy a guide for any Star Ocean game, beats having to scramble for a computer every time I need help. I already have my guide, now I just need the game. :)

Sure, I do feel a lot better doing it all myself. I suppose I could have just read the dang instructions lol. I think its a lot of fun to make a killer recipe or find the weakness to a tough boss on your own with no help especially the real tough ones. To each their own of course!!

Guide would be nice if I had the time to max out this game but considering my HUGE list of games I need to go though I'm just going to pass it and then forget it just like I did with 3.

But star ocean 2 I passed like 10 times and got 10 different endings none of which were very good.

36 hours in now, Holy CRAP. It's been such a ride so far and I JUST made it to disk 3. I will say one thing, Level 50 MINIMUM if you want the bug boss to be doable. I did it at 47 and it was pretty simple, but I'm pro and a half at blindsides. Ye.

Finally got my 360 working, loving the game so far :)

Gonna go play some more, im just in the beginning and just got Lymle. Also, good god the voice acting is bad.

hmm beat it last night

*spoilars*

Good ending I thought, last boss was quite tough, there was a lot of party members dying and a lot of reviving, I set the big jug elf to only heal and resurrect and she did quite a good job I must say for cpu control. Anyway, I started right back up on the harder difficulty I do wish the hardest difficulty was available, this difficulty definately packs more of a punch, on easier you rarely need to blindside in normal battles but you are pretty much required to blindside even normal battles now. Going to try to do the sidequests I can find myself and really take advantage of the crafting this time around as I find it a lot of fun and it is dang useful.

Overall this game was worth a 9 not an 8 or 7 that reviews often gave it, the game got better and better as it went on imo and unlike normal rpg's these battles keep you engaged pretty much the whole dang time.

You already beat it?! What, do you play 10 hours a day or something? :p

You don't need a lot of time to beat this game. A lot of people have clear files with less than 40 hours. Hell, if you skip all the cut-scenes and sidequests, I'm sure you can do this with about 20 hours.

Overall this game was worth a 9 not an 8 or 7 that reviews often gave it, the game got better and better as it went on imo and unlike normal rpg's these battles keep you engaged pretty much the whole dang time.

Eh, I think a lot of the smaller things ruined Star Ocean's chances of getting a better score. Item Creation and quests on the third disk were a pain in the ass. Half of all that crap had to be done while constantly switching between disk 2 and 3.

/rant /spoilers

Is it just me or does this game have whiny hero syndrome like all Anime. My god, I like Anime and all, but stop with the whiny little bitches please. Give me a hero with some freeking balls. Oh noes! I killed the earth in an alternate dimension after I was a total retard! Boo fucking hoo!

Anyway... I take it the people who are actually enjoying this game just skip the hours of cut scenes?

/rant /spoilers

Is it just me or does this game have whiny hero syndrome like all Anime. My god, I like Anime and all, but stop with the whiny little bitches please. Give me a hero with some freeking balls. Oh noes! I killed the earth in an alternate dimension after I was a total retard! Boo fucking hoo!

Have you played Persona 3? Minato kicks ass, a lot of ass. He's also good with the ladies, all of the ladies, even the robotic variety. :D

I think the whole whiny hero thing is just the writers pandering to the game's target demographic. Something tells me they're not trying to sell this game to successful college graduates who pull in 60K+ a year and drive cars with 6+ cylinders, but rather young, disenfranchised youth who feel like society puts an unfairly heavy burden on them to maintain the future.

Have you played Persona 3? Minato kicks ass, a lot of ass. He's also good with the ladies, all of the ladies, even the robotic variety. :D

I think the whole whiny hero thing is just the writers pandering to the game's target demographic. Something tells me they're not trying to sell this game to successful college graduates who pull in 60K+ a year and drive cars with 6+ cylinders, but rather young, disenfranchised youth who feel like society puts an unfairly heavy burden on them to maintain the future.

hahaha never thought of it that way but it makes sense.

Minato does kick ass but he does lack in vocabulary, but FF3/6 had the most amount of bad assery in it out of all games I have played.

/rant /spoilers

Anyway... I take it the people who are actually enjoying this game just skip the hours of cut scenes?

You know, I actually liked that part of the game and I often hate the whiney characters, I mean he basically killed 5 billion people, I am glad they didnt take the cliche route and have someone say 'cheer up' and he shrugs it off, they made the character a lot more 3 dimensional as you could actually see how the incident had a long lasting effect on him.

Back