Star Citizen Dev Asks For More Money

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 was recently showcased, but fans are mad that the single-player Squadron 42 was MIA. The devs seemed more interested in selling players new craft.

Instead of showing off the single-player module, most emphasis was placed on advertising ship sales for the coming days before the Alpha goes live. The “all-ships” sale from the recent Anniversary stream, has returned, offering varied discounts on just about anything you could want. A lot of care was also taken to advertise new crafts, like the MISC Razor, and various discount packs that can augment existing fleets. For newcomers, you can get started for as low as $35.That sort of stuff is all well and good, but to the thousands of fans that have already donated hundreds of dollars to this crowd-funded effort, the pleas for more cash fell on deaf ears.

Star Citizen continues to overpromise and underdeliver? All the while begging its cultish fanbase for more cash for them to mismanage. Shocking.

At this point the only people who are less ashamed of bilking idiots are televangelists.

Eh what?

That did not look like real game play. It just seems like the talked over some prerecorded stuff like if they were actually playing, lol. Do they think gamers are this stupid?

EDIT:

From the video description:
"Get a taste of what's possible in Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 with this fun emergent adventure that sees players exploring and battling their way across the vast expanse of Crusader for a chance to capture the most valuable haul of all, Big Benny's!"

I guess it was supposed to be a fake gameplay video.

Last edited:
I'm sure there will be a documentary on the failure of this venture, i'm already stocking up on popcorn.

Occasionally I'll go check the Star citizen thread and as always it's this constantly debating over ships being bought. It's very bizarre to watch.

The livestream was an embarrassment.

As for "asking for more money", that's another clickbait headline. They have developers working on new ships constantly, as that's their job, what they're good at, what they do. As ships reach milestones, they're made available for sale. This doesn't equate to "asking for more money" with the implication that they can't finish the game without it. They can and will finish the game without another pre-release cent, if need be. Until they lay off the ship designers, there will be new ships for sale. After the game is released, you'll have to buy them with in-game currency, but as a bonus for funding development before the game is released, you have the chance to buy ships with RL money now, if you want.

Nowhere is it implied that they don't have the money to finish the game. If you suggest that, you're an idiot, a troll, or both.

Oh by the way, the FPS module (Star Marine) is now on the test server and everyone is saying it is awesome. So if you think there really isn't a game behind all this, you're being willfully ignorant.

Nowhere is it implied that they don't have the money to finish the game. If you suggest that, you're an idiot, a troll, or both.

I don't think you have to be an idiot or a troll to worry that there isn't enough money to finish the game. With the big changes in scope, reworking the engine, additional things they're creating themselves instead of using what's out there, all the delays, and Chris Roberts' history, it's entirely possible that they wouldn't be able to finish the game if they stopped collecting money today. Not saying that it's a good or bad thing, people are free to spend their money toward a vision of what gaming could be, but it seems a little overly optimistic to me to hear someone say that they don't need any more money to finish the game.

I haven't bought the game, though I might pick it up on the cheap after it comes out depending on how it turns out. I loosely follow information about it, though. I see so many mechanics (e.g. exploration, scientific research) that I'd like to see more information on and how they work in the game. A lot of the stretch goals say stuff like, "Do you like dancing for a living? Well guess what! You can do that too! With this new dancing-oriented ship, you can make a living just dancing around space!"

The livestream was an embarrassment.

As for "asking for more money", that's another clickbait headline. They have developers working on new ships constantly, as that's their job, what they're good at, what they do. As ships reach milestones, they're made available for sale. This doesn't equate to "asking for more money" with the implication that they can't finish the game without it. They can and will finish the game without another pre-release cent, if need be. Until they lay off the ship designers, there will be new ships for sale. After the game is released, you'll have to buy them with in-game currency, but as a bonus for funding development before the game is released, you have the chance to buy ships with RL money now, if you want.

Oh by the way, the FPS module (Star Marine) is now on the test server and everyone is saying it is awesome. So if you think there really isn't a game behind all this, you're being willfully ignorant.

You are like, totally the best "fake news" checker I've seen roaming forums.

of course they are.

and people will give it to them for a promise to play a game.

there's a graph for this.

wl14RDy.jpg

I was annoyed for a time at the money i dumped into this way way back, but now, i dont even give a shit. Keep it. Don't care if this POS ever is finished. Fool me once, and thats it. Only other game I have "kickstarted" was Project CARS on WMD and i still get checks from them for my 125$ of early funding. Probably received about 200$, along with 2 full game licenses, from them for its success.

Very much interested in the game. But not a bloody dime till a decent finished product is released and passes reviews with reasonable success.

I'd REALLY like to know why some people seem soooooo adamant about wanting this game to fail or calling it a "scam" or saying it should somehow be finished by now.

GTA V
Fallout 4
Red Dead Redemption
Skyrim

Know what all of these games have in common? They are HUGE open world games, which all took at least 5+ years of development time.

Star Citizen is more ambitious then any of those games and on a larger scale then any of them. It's been in production for 3 (almost 4 in a couple months) years, yet people are acting like it's Duke Nukem Forever or Half Life 3 in terms of its development time.

They've been quite open about development, even going as far as recently to be fully open with their internal schedule:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Ever since I've been following this game they'v ebeen clear on what they were working on and have constantly provided the community with updates and things. Of course not everything goes to plan (No game does, period) and things get changed around.

I'd REALLY like to know why some people seem soooooo adamant about wanting this game to fail or calling it a "scam" or saying it should somehow be finished by now.

GTA V
Fallout 4
Red Dead Redemption
Skyrim

Know what all of these games have in common? They are HUGE open world games, which all took at least 5+ years of development time.

Star Citizen is more ambitious then any of those games and on a larger scale then any of them. It's been in production for 3 (almost 4 in a couple months) years, yet people are acting like it's Duke Nukem Forever or Half Life 3 in terms of its development time.

They've been quite open about development, even going as far as recently to be fully open with their internal schedule:

Ever since I've been following this game they'v ebeen clear on what they were working on and have constantly provided the community with updates and things. Of course not everything goes to plan (No game does, period) and things get changed around.

I have to admit, I never heard of this game until just now and that gameplay video did look fishy to me but now I've read up on it a bit, I applaud them for even have a playable 'game' to show off currently. So kudos to them.

But the games you listed have the backing of huge, established, and near limitless resource game studios and funding. My guess is that people are not very trustworthy of a kickstarter-type game coming up with ambitions as high as this. And it makes sense. A startup game this ambitious has everything working against it. High expectations, low funding, no established backing, and lofty promises. It's natural for people to feel the way they have been. I mean look no further than No Man's Sky to see why gamers have become so jaded.

But the games you listed have the backing of huge, established, and near limitless resource game studios and funding. My guess is that people are not very trustworthy of a kickstarter-type game coming up with ambitions as high as this. And it makes sense. A startup game this ambitious has everything working against it. High expectations, low funding, no established backing, and lofty promises. It's natural for people to feel the way they have been. I mean look no further than No Man's Sky to see why gamers have become so jaded.

Having an established game company just made it easier for the makers of GTA V, Fallout 4 & Skyrim, Red Dead, etc, to get a working game out. They already had the infrastructure in place to make games. CIG (Star Citizen) had to spend the first two years scaling upwards and building a gaming company from scratch. So basically if they take equal amount of time as those other games to release, they will have achieved far far more than them.

As for No Man's Sky, that's just proof that CIG has made correct decisions so far.

GTA V
Fallout 4
Red Dead Redemption
Skyrim

Shall I link the Kickstarter that stated the game would be released by now WITH all its features and with a much smaller budget?

A few players at a flight sim forum I visit have been playing Star Citizen beta for a long time using VR gear so I don't know what you're talking about. They've been giving very positive news about it.

Those second life -like gestures they had in the video totally ruined any immersion however. Also the other players were completely annoying. I didn't watch the video more than half way and even then skipped some.

2.6 just went to wave 1 PTU testers earlier today. I'm in that group. It's very much more polished and stable. Played a round of FPS deathmatch and cruised around the test universe with no crashes. Flight and on-foot FPS both feel a million percent better. Seems game worthy now. Next step will be squashing a few small bugs then getting 2.6 out to everyone. At that point we will await 3.0 which will actually add a ton of content.

This update does add some stuff, but nothing earth shattering. The test item system for buying clothing and whatnot is quite good. GTA style but far more detailed.

I can't really stress enough how much better everything looks and how much better all movement and player interaction is.

Hopefully, we will see some serious content within a couple of months from here.

A few players at a flight sim forum I visit have been playing Star Citizen beta for a long time using VR gear so I don't know what you're talking about. They've been giving very positive news about it.

They are able to play 1% of the promised content after so many years? How impressive.

I've backed quite a few early access games and I don't cry in my Wheaties because i didn't get a full game a week later. Only EA games I have ever complained about is DayZ and Kenshi. I complained about Kenshi because I found out the game had already been in development for five years before I bought it and it still had no audio at all, DayZ, well, you all know what the story is there.

Just to prove you wrong I am going to get SC over xmas.

Back