Staples $50 off $50 deal.. help!

nicka wutt

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys.. this information could be useful to anyone else that got in on the april 1st staples $50 off $50 deal..

almost all orders shipped for the discounted price.

now staples, which i will never shop at again after this bullshit, is now doing something which i think is ILLEGAL.

they are calling everyone and saying "WE MESSED UP BUT SHIPPED THE ORDERS ANYWAY, WE ARE GOING TO CHARGE YOU THE FULL AMOUNT UNLESS YOU CALL US TO CANCEL AND REFUSE UPS SHIPMENT"

ok so.. that would be like me selling my house for $150,000, then calling the buyers during the afternoon while theyre at work and leaving a message saying "i changed my mind, the price is now $1,500,000, if you dont respond in 10 minutes i'll just charge you the $1,500,000"

they screwed up, and charging someone extra $$ when my invoice says one price, is illegal.

Anyone out there know what to do about this?

I want my mx duo!! :mad:

you knew it was too good to be true/error.

other then that, contact the BBB?

refuse the charges ?

contact credit card ?

you honestly didn't think there might have been some screw up in them offering a 50 off 50? :rolleyes:
i really hope you aren't actually as mad as you come off.

and where did you hear about this thing with them charging you full price? think someone made an april fool outta ya. i know i got in on the deal and while it does list a ship date it says it's still processing. i'm expecting it to get canceled by them probably tomorrow. you can't really believe that they're going to charge people full price instead of cancelling all orders do you?

Originally posted by jagec
I believe that constitutes mail fraud?

No, mail fraud would be a company or person puropsly tricking you into ordering something or sending you something without any recourse. They said if you refuse the order you will be refunded, thus there is recourse. I'm sure Staples, like every other eCommerce store, cannot be held responsible for any price errors or errors with their system. A joke coupon would fall under a system error.

If you are charged, I highly recommend that you call Staples and work something out. You may be able to get something free out of them, try some social engineering, "there is no april fools day in my country".

Originally posted by goku238
You seriously tried to get in on a deal on APRIL 1ST?

LOL

Will be nice if it goes through but I'm not countin on it. On my order status it says one of the things I ordered will be delivered tomorrow..but the order is still processing. Guess I'll find out.

if i dont get the deal, fine. they need to cancel it though, like they did the geforce 4 for $10 that didnt go through a few months ago

i'm mad that they would try to pull some bullshit on people saying "oh well if you accept the shipment then we're gonna charge you full price, kthxbye"

breaking news, my friend just imed me and lo and behold:

CHECKCARD 04/01 STAPLES #990 800-333-3330 CA [Learn more] $32.46

CHECKCARD 04/01 STAPLES #990 800-333-3330 CA [Learn more] $54.13

thats complete bullshit and id bet money on that being super fucking illegal as well.

they confirmed, charged me AND shipped it with the coupon. there is no fucking way they can just charge everyone $50 more!

is there anyone familiar with any type of business law regarding this?

yes, now i'm pissed. cancel it and lose everyones business if you want, but dont give us some ultimatum 'refuse it or die'

you have proof of what you were to be charged. anything else that gets charged is called robbery. they are stealing money. they did not have permission to take that much from you. if neccessary let them know you will sue them with all the people who purchased items on that date. staples has a reputation. it looks bad when 100's of people say staples sold me a product online and then procceded to charge me a much larger amount and are refusing to own up to the problem. they will bend. its only a few grand they loose at most. pocket change

friend of mine called up visa..

Coppell Police: that bitch was like man they smokin krack
Coppell Police: lol
Coppell Police: visa customer service RoXoRs
Coppell Police: she said that i would first have to call staples and they HAVE to honor the deal
Coppell Police: and if they do that 50 dollars
Coppell Police: its an unauthorized transaction and is fraud
Coppell Police: but she said if u call and tell them what she said
Coppell Police: they will most likely honor the deal and go through with it

soo,, once i get the stuff and see the charges, HELLO VISA!

Sure it sucks when you think your getting something for nothing, then you realize just how nieve you really are. In your case, you can't be that ignorant not to know "if it's too good to be true, it is!"

Staples screwed up, and they made an attempt to correct the error. They were successful in contacting you to explain what happened. You should just except it instead of ranting and raving about your loss.

If the Government sent you a tax refund check for $40,000 instead of $400, you wouldn't cash it just because it had your name on it, or are you the type of person who sees the wallet drop and looks around to see if the coast is clear so you can pick it up and make your get away?

Originally posted by cambio
Sure it sucks when you think your getting something for nothing, then you realize just how nieve you really are. In your case, you can't be that ignorant not to know "if it's too good to be true, it is!"

Staples screwed up, and they made an attempt to correct the error. They were successful in contacting you to explain what happened. You should just except it instead of ranting and raving about your loss.

If the Government sent you a tax refund check for $40,000 instead of $400, you wouldn't cash it just because it had your name on it, or are you the type of person who sees the wallet drop and looks around to see if the coast is clear so you can pick it up and make your get away?

accept not except. and no i will not accept it, except for the fact that i didnt buy anything:p

obviously you dont understand something, let me explain it for you in 10 year old terms:

1. they offered the coupon

2. they accepted the coupon

3. they CONFIRMED THE CHARGES.

4. they shipped the item

5. then they "realized they made a mistake"

6. they charged me A SECOND TIME without authorization

6. they can deal with visa, who says what they did was fraud and illegal, and for screwing me and apparently a couple hundred people over, they just lost $50. if they wanted to end this, they should have canceled them before they shipped.

staples = owned.

Originally posted by Spearboy
accept not except. and no i will not accept it, except for the fact that i didnt buy anything:p

An exception, I can accept that.

btw they never called ME. they have called others.

1 of my friends got the call, after the package was already delivered.

once again, they dropped the ball. its ours now

no you = owned for the moment. You are being charged full price for a keyboard and mouse.

Do you ever make mistakes. Now imagine a company with thousands of employees that are human and make mistakes. Like Dell and many other companies that try to get customers through deals on the internet. And also like Dell, mistakes are made, and retractions are posted.

BUT here we have something that is and was too good to be true. $50 off of $50 purchase. I mean c'mon you should of seen the retraction a mile away. Refuse the package, get your money back or accept it for what it was; an unbelievable deal gone bad.

Now I do see you point. And I am sure you were VERY excited to be getting something for nothing. But like the person said above when you find money are you looking for the person who dropped it or are you looking for a way to hide it in your pocket so noone sees you.

I am sure if you do what they said you will get your money back. And they will loose a customer until the next deal comes along and you shop there again.

Originally posted by nicka wutt
btw they never called ME. they have called others.

1 of my friends got the call, after the package was already delivered.

once again, they dropped the ball. its ours now

If they never made personal contact with YOU before delivery was made to inform you of their screw up, they can't ethically charge you. Your in the clear and VISA will back you to the end.

Originally posted by asusxp1900
no you = owned for the moment. You are being charged full price for a keyboard and mouse.

Do you ever make mistakes. Now imagine a company with thousands of employees that are human and make mistakes. Like Dell and many other companies that try to get customers through deals on the internet. And also like Dell, mistakes are made, and retractions are posted.

BUT here we have something that is and was too good to be true. $50 off of $50 purchase. I mean c'mon you should of seen the retraction a mile away. Refuse the package, get your money back or accept it for what it was; an unbelievable deal gone bad.

Now I do see you point. And I am sure you were VERY excited to be getting something for nothing. But like the person said above when you find money are you looking for the person who dropped it or are you looking for a way to hide it in your pocket so noone sees you.

I am sure if you do what they said you will get your money back. And they will loose a customer until the next deal comes along and you shop there again.

how do you mistakenly authorize a coupon like that?

its not like the computer just pulls a figure out of its ass and goes 'hey staples, we should make a $50 off $50 coupon'

someone entered this coupon into staples system, no one was holding a gun to their heads.

if this was too good to be true:
it never would have been entered in the first place
it never would have been accepted on the website
when the packing slip showed price - $50 off $50 coupon it would not have shipped

but it was, it was, and it just did apparently.

Originally posted by jagec
I believe that constitutes mail fraud?

Regardless of what anybody is saying, this would actually constitute credit card fraud. You cannot confirm an order for one price and then charge more later on down the road. The basis for this is rooted in contract law. When you place your order you are making an offer to purchase an item at the price agreed upon, which in this case is the price of the item(s) less $50. They consumate that offer when they ship the item to you. Retailers ship free on board, which means once its in the hands of the shipper, its yours. In other words, if UPS/Fedex has it, you can keep the item at the price you paid. If staples tries to charge more, contact your credit card company and file fraud charges against the extra staples charge. They will probably want you to fax them or foward them your emailed receipt which will obviously show the lower amount, and the amount you should rightly be charged. What it says on your receipt is what you should be charged. Any more is fraudulent. That is the point of issuing receipts.

are you the type of person who sees the wallet drop and looks around to see if the coast is clear so you can pick it up and make your get away?

No, the wallet thing would fit better if someone walked up, said "here's my wallet. There's $50 in it, and you can have it." Then you ask, "Are you sure you want to give me your wallet?" Then they respond "Sure, you can have my wallet!" Then you walk away with the wallt.

Originally posted by tunaman
Regardless of what anybody is saying, this would actually constitute credit card fraud. You cannot confirm an order for one price and then charge more later on down the road. The basis for this is rooted in contract law. When you place your order you are making an offer to purchase an item at the price agreed upon, which in this case is the price of the item(s) less $50. They consumate that offer when they ship the item to you. Retailers ship free on board, which means once its in the hands of the shipper, its yours. In other words, if UPS/Fedex has it, you can keep the item at the price you paid. If staples tries to charge more, contact your credit card company and file fraud charges against the extra staples charge. They will probably want you to fax them or foward them your emailed receipt which will obviously show the lower amount, and the amount you should rightly be charged. What it says on your receipt is what you should be charged. Any more is fraudulent. That is the point of issuing receipts.

Thanks for the informative post tuna

Originally posted by yoda634
No, the wallet thing would fit better if someone walked up, said "here's my wallet. There's $50 in it, and you can have it." Then you ask, "Are you sure you want to give me your wallet?" Then they respond "Sure, you can have my wallet!" Then you walk away with the wallt.
yes. And then a week later, they slip a letter under your door saying they're back for their $50, then they break a window and steal your TV.

I got a call at 9:30 this morning and the woman told me that it may or may not ship out depending on how fast they can catch it. If it does get shipped out I just have to refuse it when it gets here.
...but as far as I can see in my bank account and staples order page it says I haven't been charged extra and on the staples page it also says they both shipped already. wonder when they'll charge extra if they do. i might just accept the order and see if i do get charged extra. if i don't i'll keep em, if so i'll bring em back to the store here.

you guys are whiny.

the wallet allegory would apply if someone said here's five bucks and handed you a fifty without realizing it. Someone probably entered an extra zero when they entered the coupon into the system. It was an accident. get over it.

Originally posted by MikeF98765
you guys are whiny.

the wallet allegory would apply if someone said here's five bucks and handed you a fifty without realizing it. Someone probably entered an extra zero when they entered the coupon into the system. It was an accident. get over it.

i'm typing this reply to you on my logitech MX Duo, that I got for $12.41 after rebate.

i win!!

Originally posted by nicka wutt
how do you mistakenly authorize a coupon like that?

its not like the computer just pulls a figure out of its ass and goes 'hey staples, we should make a $50 off $50 coupon'

someone entered this coupon into staples system, no one was holding a gun to their heads.

if this was too good to be true:
it never would have been entered in the first place
it never would have been accepted on the website
when the packing slip showed price - $50 off $50 coupon it would not have shipped

but it was, it was, and it just did apparently.
Have you ever made a typo? Have you ever accidentally missed said typo? If not, I don't believe you. If so, think about that.

So I take it this is costing them millions? $50 X a couple hundred thousand (if that many caught the deal)= a whole lot of loss. I wonder what will happen to the person who made this mistake. :eek:

more like 50 x 1000-2000 at most by the time the cought the deal. plus the real loss is no 50 dollars per customer, its what it cost them to get the product. eg 20 x 1000-2000 and more like 20 x 100 stubborn hardforum members who wont return. keep it i say. people get paid to review each deal they put up. its their own fault no one caught it. its not like someone high up in the company says why dont you run around the store and find products to put on our website and then rebate them. dont worry i dont need to look it over, i trust you can make the right decisions. these things go through multiple channels in order to make sure things are right. and have you notice just because its 50.00 doesnt mean they didnt intend for it to free. these things are meant to hook people. well if im buying a keyboard and mouse, why not a mousepad, and some dust off, and maybe a game for my son. free stuff attracts and hooks people, its prooven, its just their scam got scamed by us

edit: watch news, if staples goes under, quickly return your product. you dont want to be linked to the downfall of a major company...or do you:eek:

while i understand that they made a mistake and i say, sure let them fix their mistake... BUT they have no right to ship it and then charge you more. I can understand them canceling order before shipping, but once they ship it, they are shit out of luck and should learn from their mistake.

if you bought a 5 dollar magazine and paid with a ten, and the clerk gave you back a 10 on accident...

if you bought a 5 dollar magazine and paid with a ten, and the clerk gave you back a 10 on accident...
sorry, but no. your analogy doesnt work. they didnt accidentally enter the coupon into the system, and then it wasnt accidentally verified by 5+ people, and it wasnt accidentally accepted by the computer. and my order wasnt accidentally packed by the person in the warehouse after looking at my packing slip and accidentally not seeing the "too good to be true coupon" and it wasnt accidentally set out for pickup by ups. not to mention once its in the hands of ups the terms of the sale are OVER and even if this deal slipped past 100+ staples employees ACCIDENTALLY, the point is once its in UPS's hands they lose.

i want to keep this thread open, so please, dont try to make up some crappy analogy turning me into hitler, or some greedy person. this is after all a site ive seen people get irate and go doom a business on reselleratings.com for a price mistake that was caught in the processing stage before any orders were packed or shipped.

visa is on my side, washington mutual is on my side.

if any of you really want to argue this further, read this and try to tell me he's wrong:

Next, charging for the coupon on staples part. Now, that's completely illegal, and unethical. Doing anything to my cc without my consent is fraud. There is no two ways about that. If staples ends up allowed to do chargebacks, imagine the consequences on consumers? I didn't give out my credit card number so they can charge me later on for a previous deal. I'm amazed at how Staples is handling this. I could really care less about what I got. Had they asked me nicely or just cancelled my order, I would have had no problem with returning their items. But after I got my order, then charge me again for the same item? I dont think so! Was sales at Staples that bad last qtr? If it was, i wonder why?! What they did is illegal and will never hold up in court, according to my attorney friends that I've consulted with. I will not give in, and no one should.

anyone else in on this deal ? your status so far? a lot of people are having the second $50 charge dissapear off their bank statements.. like staples retracted it.. hmm

And you didnt give the ten dollars back to the clerk either.

Dont worry. Nobody is making you out to be Hitler. It is just an odd situation and you are very much on one side of the argument is all. Some other people have different ethics than you. SOme.....omg..... wouldnt of even tried to order it because they would have known it was a mess up. But some people do and I am sure that is unbelievable to some of yall fatwallet guys out there.

You got your money back. And like I said. I am sure you will still order from Staples next time time they post a loss leader deal.

Cheers.

It's staples fault, it's pretty simple. In this day and age of "price mistakes" you would think the biggest companies like that would at least double check what the hell thier doing. They didn't and on top of that they SHIPPED it out! It's not like they canceled the orders before shipping.

Originally posted by asusxp1900
And you didnt give the ten dollars back to the clerk either.

Dont worry. Nobody is making you out to be Hitler. It is just an odd situation and you are very much on one side of the argument is all. Some other people have different ethics than you. SOme.....omg..... wouldnt of even tried to order it because they would have known it was a mess up. But some people do and I am sure that is unbelievable to some of yall fatwallet guys out there.

You got your money back. And like I said. I am sure you will still order from Staples next time time they post a loss leader deal.

Cheers.
dude. It's not. an ethical. issue. Period.
The issue isn't whether the deal is "too good to be true", the issue is that Staples is charging credit cards AFTER having a contract to ship a certain good for a certain price.

If the clerk runs up to you and says, "hey, I gave you a 10 instead of a 5, can you give me my 10 back?" that's one thing.
If the clerk instead breaks into your house and takes 10 out of your wallet while you're asleep...that's different.

Originally posted by tunaman

^^ Sir that was a very CLEAR and CONSISE answer to this question. Thank you for taking the time to type it.

Cheers,

If the mistake was CAUGHT at the time. Not after the fact.

Cheers,

so did anyone get charged extra for this yet? i got my order on Monday and haven't been charged yet.
kinda funny they said I should refuse shipment when it comes if i didn't want to be charged extra but no one was home when it got delivered and they just left it on my front porch. so since they didn't give me an opportunity to return it i'll hold on to it and see if they do charge me. i don't really want to have to drive across town to staples because they messed up.

I didn't order anything, hell, I didn't know that there was even a $50 of $50 deal going on.

But I would love for some company to try this on anything I ordered.

Most companies know that in this situation they are completely screwed. Any attempt to collect on this without the customer approving it is plain and simple fraud.

The people calling are probably the website crew that screwed up and are trying to save their jobs.

I got fired up just hearing that they are actually calling people.
I want them to call me now, or someone to forward me one of the customer service reps if they do call you.

Grrrrrr....Hulk....... mad!!!!!!!!!!

Back