Stanley Gets Interviewed

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
After reading this interview, with The Stanley Parable game creator, at PC Gamer I came away not sure if the game dev knows what his next game is or will be. Then that got me thinking about how many years it has been since I "played" Stanley, and looked it up; almost five years ago. Then I saw that I "played" Stanley for 31 hours (almost 2 hours per ending), and that made me hope that I had alt-tabbed out of the game and just left it open on my desktop for a full day or so. Otherwise that 31 hours of play-time truly drives the satire home.

Check out the trailer.

"What would a game be like where you make interesting choices, but you can't get better at making those choices, or you can't make more optimized choices? What about a game where you're growing or making progress in an interesting way, but where the outcomes are obscure enough that you can't see what the outcomes will lead to? What about a game that has a story, but you don't need to see every piece of content to get the story?

"All of these sound counterintuitive, but that's why I'm so excited. The bizarre, impossible-sounding goal I've set for myself is to create a game that does all of these things. I don't have a good answer yet as to how exactly I'll do that."

There is a free demo if you have never experienced this game.

I really enjoyed it. I saw several endings, but I doubt I witnessed all of them.
It has been a while since I played it. Might be time to jump back in.

Loved the Stanley Parable, and it's worth noting, the free demo is all unique content, even if you own the game you should go play the demo, it is hilarious.

The demo got me to buy the game.

I only have 2.9 hours on record. Totally worth it.

Now I want to play it again. Probably for another 2.9 hours.

There is an achievement for playing after not playing for so many years. I think it’s 5?

The trailer that made fun of a reviewer of the game (real or not) is what pushed me over the edge to purchase it. I thought it was pretty funny.

FYI, fired up the DEMO version and set it to 4K resolution and you lose the menu. 2560x1440 is as high as you can set it. There is a video.txt config file that you will need to edit to reset the resolution if you need to.

This game is the best "walking simulator" on the market. If you like satire or you like dry humor, get this game.

Also, if you play DOTA2, get the Stanley Parable announcer pack.

Loved playing The Stanley Parable - loved the humor especially when pissing off the narrator :)
Still do a walk trough from time to time, just to see if I can end it differently this time around.
2 Hours playtime logged in.
Scratch that... 3 hours of playtime LOL
This is a story of a woman named Mariella (people who played the game would know what im qouting)

Last edited:
"Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist" is free on Steam. If you liked Stanley I highly recommend it. It's by William Pugh who created Stanley.

Back