Stanford Researchers Personalize VR Displays to Match a User’s Eyesight

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While others moan about price, wires, or pixel density, my biggest complaint about VR is how uncomfortable headsets can be if you wear glasses. Evidently, Stanford is already on the case with their idea of an adaptable system that may reduce the effects of everything from nearsightedness to headaches and nausea. Combining novel hardware implementations with eye tracking and software, their headsets can adjust accordingly to account for a user’s unique visual profile.

…researchers are testing hardware and software fixes designed to change the focal plane of a VR display. They call this technology adaptive focus display. The group tested two different hardware options. One relies on focus-tunable liquid lenses. Twisting a dial squeezes the liquid lenses inside the headset to change the screen display even though the lens itself remains in place. The other option involves mechanically moving the display screen back or forth, like adjusting a pair of binoculars. The system also incorporates eye-tracking technology to determine where on the screen the user is looking.

And the other, cheaper option would be to just have glasses wearers wear contacts.
Seems to me like an implementation like that would just add another point of possible failure and would not work near as well as real vision correction.

And the one mechanically moves the screen would have pretty much 0 effect for astigmatism.

What would it be like it the liquid lenses broke open while you were wearing the headset? Guessing the whole unit would be toast AND who knows what kind of liquid they have in them.

Until they can plug VR directly into the brain, this sounds like an excellent addition -- as long as it works well and isn't too heavy.

i demoed both.
I could wear my glasses with the vive and could play without it as well if needed. contacts worked too.
with the rift, without anything, I could not give the visuals clear enough. with contacts I could not get the visuals right. possible I could not get the distance between the two right. glasses barely fit and wasn't usable.

As a Rift user, with glasses. This is an important feature that needs to be implement in future headsets. Whether through this method or another entirely, but it needs to be there..

My glasses do not fit inside the Rift, and I will not let others with glasses use it either for fear of scratching the lenses. Wearing contact lenses is a solution yes, although far from an ideal solution as it was a pain in the ass and an extra expense to put contact lenses in for no reason other than to enter VR. Vision correction surgery, is expensive.

I ended up opting to go the VRLens Lab route, which has done the job.. but it was an additional expense adding to the total cost. There are 3d print options for adapters to fit very readily frame/lense combos available online for cheap as well. These are the best options us glasses wearers currently have.. But in the longterm, these headsets need some sort of vision correction built in. Granted they probably won't be able to accommodate every prescription, but if they can handle say.. 80%.. That's a lot better than nothing.

Gear VR has vision correction built-in, and I don't need to wear my glasses when using that set..

As a Rift user, with glasses. This is an important feature that needs to be implement in future headsets. Whether through this method or another entirely, but it needs to be there..

My glasses do not fit inside the Rift, and I will not let others with glasses use it either for fear of scratching the lenses. Wearing contact lenses is a solution yes, although far from an ideal solution as it was a pain in the ass and an extra expense to put contact lenses in for no reason other than to enter VR. Vision correction surgery, is expensive.

I ended up opting to go the VRLens Lab route, which has done the job.. but it was an additional expense adding to the total cost. There are 3d print options for adapters to fit very readily frame/lense combos available online for cheap as well. These are the best options us glasses wearers currently have.. But in the longterm, these headsets need some sort of vision correction built in. Granted they probably won't be able to accommodate every prescription, but if they can handle say.. 80%.. That's a lot better than nothing.

Gear VR has vision correction built-in, and I don't need to wear my glasses when using that set..

I'm not sure that something like this would even be able to work for me as I have really bad astigmatism. Even getting contacts that would sit in the proper orientation was a huge pain. I see doubles/triples without glasses or contacts depending on the lighting.

I'm not sure that something like this would even be able to work for me as I have really bad astigmatism. Even getting contacts that would sit in the proper orientation was a huge pain. I see doubles/triples without glasses or contacts depending on the lighting.

I understand, and that sucks. I did say it may not work for everyone, but probably will for the majority. Roughly 60% of the worlds population needs vision correction. That can't be ignored by headset makers, and contacts most definitely are not the solution.

When I first got my Rift, I would go and put my contacts in before my gaming session. Then after awhile it got to the point where it was just too much trouble to bother, and I'd just end up doing something else. When I got my VR Lense adapters, I started playing games in my Rift again..

Wearing glasses with heavy astigmatic correction I can't use the current VR headsets. Anything over two minutes and it feels like a fork in my eye and the pain lasts for hours.
We need corrections for glasses wearing users.
Suggesting contacts is a facile suggestion as many people can't wear them or can't afford a pair of contacts just for gaming. Your focus is still just a few inches away even if it is VR so using contacts with middle or long distance correction would be an invitation to failure.
Anyone familiar with the machines the optometrists use where you look in and the unit automatically adjusts for focus? That should be doable with an internal camera and some software. I would rather pay triple for a useable headset than not be able to use one at all.

Maybe if you hipsters quit wearing thick black frame glasses there wouldn't be a fitment issue.

2f90cc3dcbc92e725bc0dc85aeb17229.jpg

Maybe if you hipsters quit wearing thick black frame glasses there wouldn't be a fitment issue.

lol, good one.

My glasses aren't that big, but man the Rift is especially terrible for glasses. I tried the Vive, which was a little better - but not much..

Also, wearing glasses in a headset increases the distance between your eyes and the lenses reducing your FOV.

lol, good one.

My glasses aren't that big, but man the Rift is especially terrible for glasses. I tried the Vive, which was a little better - but not much..

Also, wearing glasses in a headset increases the distance between your eyes and the lenses reducing your FOV.

Glasses are such a huge hassle I'm getting Lasik surgery soon to finally get rid of them.
Glasses cause me blinds spots at the periphery of my vision. In turn I will bang my head if I need to duck, or when backing up in the car won't see the tree on far left.

Glasses are such a huge hassle I'm getting Lasik surgery soon to finally get rid of them.
Glasses cause me blinds spots at the periphery of my vision. In turn I will bang my head if I need to duck, or when backing up in the car won't see the tree on far left.

I've been so tempted myself.. Just so many other financial priorities since we've had children.

Children are an astronomical expense.. Wish I had a bit more of a clue before agreeing to have them LOL!

Back