Standoffs idea?

yusoweird

Weaksauce
Well, i am trying to mount a motherboard on a briefcase... but im not sure which is a better way to mount it...

mount a mb tray to it? but then i dont want it to show screws on the outside...

then, my second idea was to buy those plastic standoffs and superglue or epoxi it inside the briefcase...

which is a better way? if you have another idea... please let me know...

How about a motherboard tray velco'd to the inside? That way it's removable, yet doesn't show anything outside the case :)

i actually thought of that too.... would itl be too weak though? i dont want to move my mb everytime i plug in my video card... hehe

get the uber-strong velcro... There's velcro strong enough to hold a person's weight.

but wont it still move alil bit? because when it moves, wont it affect my agp slots? or theres a super kind that sticks like steel... hehe i need something like

Some car manufacturors use a heavy duty form of velcro to attatch the 10 mph crush bumper ( 5" thick foam pad under a bumper cover ) It's bascally the same same stuff. Only diff is instead of a fabric side it's 2 plastic sides that stick together. The stuff is kind of tough to pull apart but it wont move. You might beable to get some at a body shop fairly cheap.

ic ... thanks... but, do they have a specific name, or is it just velcro?

another thing im thinkin of is how permenent is velcro... will it get lose after time?

also if you cover 70% of the back of the mobo w/ it, it's probably not going anywhere

Why dont you just get a drill and tap set (always usefull for other things as well in the future) and permanently attach material in there to hold the standard standoffs? I have done that myself on a mod I did to put two motherboards in a case that was only designed for one motherboard and it worked great...

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/gpm/gpmr8104.htm

The thing below the drill bit is a tap. It's what's used to thread a hole for a screw. Just be sure to also get a tapwrench. When tapping, you'll want to use a lubricant of some kind or you greatly increase your chances of breaking the tap in the hole. If that happens, the tap is ruined and will require a drill press in most cases to drill it out.

There's 2 types of taps. Roll taps and cut taps. Roll taps just squeeze the material into a threaded pattern. Roll taps are not good to use on hard metals. Cut taps actually cut the material and produce chips. The tap in the link above is a roll tap. Cut taps have much larger flutes (to allow the chips to fall away from the cutting edge) and sharp teeth on them.

When tapping, it's best to go slowly. 1/4 turn at a time backing off slightkly between each quarter turn. If using a cut tap, you'll want to clear the chips out every coupld turns.

Yeah, but he doesn't want any trace of the stand-off's visable from the outside of the briefcase. I don't see how your solution meets that qualification
Mickey21 said:
Why dont you just get a drill and tap set (always usefull for other things as well in the future) and permanently attach material in there to hold the standard standoffs? I have done that myself on a mod I did to put two motherboards in a case that was only designed for one motherboard and it worked great...

Erm, I think if you read what you just quoted, you will see that there is a suggestion to add something else, which the standoffs will be tapped into.
ie, glue a sheet (or squares) of lexan/mdf in the bottom of the case with the standoffs screwed into that

Legion© said:
Erm, I think if you read what you just quoted, you will see that there is a suggestion to add something else, which the standoffs will be tapped into.
ie, glue a sheet (or squares) of lexan/mdf in the bottom of the case with the standoffs screwed into that
Sorry, I thought it was pretty obvious that holes would have to be tapped into a mb tray. If not, then you might as well skip the mb tray idea. I thought the suggestion he was giving was to tap holes in the briefcase *shrugs*

thanks for all of the reply... i have decide to use velcro and also use nut and bolt to secure it... this way i can use less bolts maybe 1 or 2 to hold it steady while the velcro does the rest of the work. ;) well i guess good luck to me... i will post pix when im finish... its going pretty well so far... thanks all

o btw... the dimension of my briefcase is 18 x 6 x 13 inch ...

i plan to fit full atx mb, atx psu, 120mm fan, 2x cdrom, 1 floppy, and 1 hd in it... it looks like it will fit perfect.

Brando457 said:
super glue that shit baby

ghetto stylE!

i like the fact that i can remove anything and add anything without ripping things apart... hehe... superglue is too permenent for me... i like to have semi-permenent

okay okay i got it!, ROPE! and tie that shit down w00t

or or you can put a brick on top of t :)

My only question is how f#(&in big is this damn briefcase? If u can put an AGP card standing up in it ... isn't it more like a SUITCASE at that point ... not that im a maniac on luggage or anything but damn it got me thinking (which is prolly a dangerous thing but what the hell?)

lentic said:
My only question is how f#(&in big is this damn briefcase? If u can put an AGP card standing up in it ... isn't it more like a SUITCASE at that point ... not that im a maniac on luggage or anything but damn it got me thinking (which is prolly a dangerous thing but what the hell?)

its not big at all... its probably like those small atx case but thinner... measurements are 18x13x6 which everything seems to fit perfect so far... let me post a pix....

http://community.webshots.com/album/198008462wuxono

18 x 13 x 6 inches

it will fit a full size mb and 2 cdrom drive, 1 floppy, 1 hd and atx psu... i plan to have the hd on top of the cdrom and have it upside down so i can add a hd fan... and then add a window on the case... tell me what u think? o and thats not the mb im putting in... i have a full size atx mb... the one in the pix is smaller...

Very nice idea that thing is going to look really good when u are done w/ it.

*edit* more pics please !!

Back