• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Standerds- PCIe, vs AGP

Joined
Jul 29, 2004
Messages
37
Has the new standard taken over yet? Can I get a good AMD mobo, for that matter Intel mobo which has PCI- Express yet? and do the video cards have the standard adapted yet?
 
some video cards have that standards: pretty much ATI and nVidia's last generation of cards. their new gen cards also have PCIe (wtb, it's not PCI-X. PCI-X is like a 10-year-old technology; PCI-Express is PCIe), but you won't find them out anywhere yet because it's not a huge market. You can find some intel/intel's integration parter boards. They use chipsets 915p, 915e or 925x (i might bw wrong about the suffix letters). AMD supposedly has a PCIe northbridge, but I haven't seen it on any boards yet.
 
If I were you I would wait until the Dual PCI express mobos come out so you have the ability to run SLI when it comes out.
 
a very good idea, and i my next upgrade in a couple of years will be an AMD dual-PCIe x16 board. it's likely i'll be looking for the next-gen (not the new gen) cards to run SLI right about then :) until then, i have this hot @55 Prescott 550 :mad: and a PCX 5900 because it's all that's on the market :rolleyes:
 
Sorry i meant to say PCI Express, not PCI X.. lol..... Ummm, I thought ATI and nVidia where pushing this new socket standerd onto the northbride soon? I figured the new 6800 and 800 cards would have PCI express versions and mobo's support this socket where already hitting the markets? ie amd 64
 
There are PCIe versions of those cards. I know there are intel mobos out right now with pcie, not sure about amd mobos. But from the benchmarks I've seen, pcie right now coupled with the latests video cards doesn't really help in terms of performance.
 
Newfie_Bilko said:
Sorry i meant to say PCI Express, not PCI X.. lol..... Ummm, I thought ATI and nVidia where pushing this new socket standerd onto the northbride soon? I figured the new 6800 and 800 cards would have PCI express versions and mobo's support this socket where already hitting the markets? ie amd 64

Well, it's not precisely a "socket", but yeah, they are; however, there's really only 2 chipsets out right now (915/925) that support PCIe the standard, and not a whole bunch of people have motherboards that use them yet, so there isn't a huge market for PCIe video cards yet. I mean, I would certainly like one, but they're by not in as high demand as the AGP versions.

It's true that the new gen boards do have PCIe version, but they're really pretty much the same board, just with a different interface. When the graphics companies judge there's enough demand for PCIe versions they'll release them (I think it's scheduled for some time in October), but until then, they're putting all of their components onto AGP boards.
 
thanks, but i understand how the market works.. And understand the technologies.. I was just wondering, why would they wait, when they know they'll be moving to a new interface, they should release mobo's and vid cards ready for pcie Now lol

And why would people still be buying AGP, if when you upgrade your mobo in a year your AGP will be obsolete
 
well, it'll actually likely be at least another 2 years or so before motherboards (mainstream) stop coming with AGP ports. people are comfortable with AGP, people have AGP on their motherboards or video cards that they don't want to give up yet (too new of a board/processor), etc.

and the fact is that they have released PCI-express video cards:

ATI: FireGL series (not for gaming), x300 xt, x600 xt
nVidia: PCX 5200, PCX 5750, PCX 5900

the last of which I am the somewhat disgruntled owner of ;) they haven't released the new-gen PCIe cards yet for reasons already mentioned, but they _have_ released the PCIe version of some older gen cards, as you can see.

anyways, i bit the bullet and upgraded now. the only thing that i feel i've wasted money on is the ($600 total) processor and motherboard, since the darned (prescott) thing is hotter than heck and can't take the FX line from AMD. those, i will likely replace in a couple of years. i probably will not be replacing the PCIe card I buy in a few months (6800 or x800) or the memory (DDR2 533).
 
jon_k said:
If I were you I would wait until the Dual PCI express mobos come out so you have the ability to run SLI when it comes out.

Unless you got some serious cash to burn I wouldnt bother worrying about waiting for SLI :rolleyes:

Not to mention that waitning for SLI is like waiting for 512mb video cards...nobody really knows how soon or how late they will be coming out except for nVidia and ATI and they probably dont know when the best time to capitolize off of that either
 
serious cash to burn? how about this: besides the basic amenities and investments, all that i have or want to spend money on are computers. that opens up a lot of opportunity as far as buying hardware goes :D
 
milling_hordesman said:
serious cash to burn? how about this: besides the basic amenities and investments, all that i have or want to spend money on are computers. that opens up a lot of opportunity as far as buying hardware goes

Like I said if you got cash to burn then SLI is probably gonna be a GOLDEN thing to invest into (take a look at my profile) on the other hand its pointless trying to sell a poor man a Ferrari ;)
 
That'll be fun, instead of praying if they have the video card in stock, you'll have they pray they have 2 in stock.
 
okok, i'll cut to the chase. I am running a barton 2500xp, with 1gb 333 ram, with geforce4 4200 128mb.

Should i wait 5 months to get a AMD 64 + PCIe+Hihgh End Vid, new case standerd (all new standerds coming) all new computer,

Or should i go and buy a higher end video card now, and see how much longer that will let me last like a 9800 Pro or something
 
Newfie_Bilko said:
okok, i'll cut to the chase. I am running a barton 2500xp, with 1gb 333 ram, with geforce4 4200 128mb.

Should i wait 5 months to get a AMD 64 + PCIe+Hihgh End Vid, new case standerd (all new standerds coming) all new computer,

Or should i go and buy a higher end video card now, and see how much longer that will let me last like a 9800 Pro or something

I'm waiting. I got a 6800gt and so far I love it.
 
Newfie_Bilko said:
okok, i'll cut to the chase. I am running a barton 2500xp, with 1gb 333 ram, with geforce4 4200 128mb.

Should i wait 5 months to get a AMD 64 + PCIe+Hihgh End Vid, new case standerd (all new standerds coming) all new computer,

Or should i go and buy a higher end video card now, and see how much longer that will let me last like a 9800 Pro or something

Im waiting a yr untill I make my next big upgrade :) Im just getting a new vid card b/c I need to play doom 3 the way it meant to be played.

However if your going to go the AMD route for PCIe you mite want to wait longer than 5months b/c they are going to be behind Intel in terms of chipset maturaty (more than likely anyways). Also if you need a new vid card now but dont want to pay for the best of this gen, then go and get a 6800nu it will run you for about $300 and is well worth it to tide you over for the next 5+months
 
I'm getting my PCI-e motherboard and video card tomorrow. I'll post impressions.
 
bruce02 said:
I'm getting my PCI-e motherboard and video card tomorrow. I'll post impressions.

oh, well, if you want impressions...

Abit AA8-DuraMax (motherboard):
A wonderful motherboard so far. It's prety well built from what I can tell. Decently standard layout (read more about that stuff somwhere else). I'm grateful for the 2 PCI slots there that let me keep my Santa Cruz and my campus' fiber optic adapter for future use in my computer.

It has more options than the stock market. All kinds of voltage/bus speed/fan speed settings, warnings, and shut down options. It might be killing my past 2 power supplies, but they were also just have been cheap, old power supplies, so I don't think it's the motherboard's fault that they sucked :)

The temperature sensors must be a little off, because I'm still having a hard time believing that my Prescott 3.4 is running at 80C under load (though it might be, anyways).

The thing has solid overclocking capability (if you ever get the processor cool enough :rolleyes: )

PCX 5900 (PCIe graphics card):
At first it looks pretty unimpressive, but then I realized that it could be overclocked from 350/550 to 400/700 (and i haven't even tried pushing it yet ;) ), and I was a little more satisfied by it. After using that cache unlocking in Doom 3, I'm getting steady 40-60 fps in High Quality/1024x768, with slowdowns for lots of character models or gunfights. Not bad for a little 128mb monger that others considered a failure compared to the R300 series :D

DDR2 dual-channel memory:
It works solidly, haven't had a problem yet, don't expect to for a long time. Could probably set the bus speed up to 667 (from 533) without a problem, but I'm not sure if I care enough to do it right now.

yeah, those are my impressions.
 
Unfortunately there are so many variables in this particular waiting game that the future looks very murky indeed. Not only do pcie vid cards have to be designed and produced, amd has to adopt the new standard with their future chipsets, then mobo makers have to make the mobos to use them. Then comes the optimization and tweaking phase where the chipsets makers will work to improve initial performance (just like agp when it first came out).

This would be why I am buying a 6800GT and waiting just bit longer ;)
 
ehZn said:
Unfortunately there are so many variables in this particular waiting game that the future looks very murky indeed. Not only do pcie vid cards have to be designed and produced, amd has to adopt the new standard with their future chipsets, then mobo makers have to make the mobos to use them. Then comes the optimization and tweaking phase where the chipsets makers will work to improve initial performance (just like agp when it first came out).

This would be why I am buying a 6800GT and waiting just bit longer ;)

and it would be why i bought my PCIe entry equipment now, and in 2 years I'll upgrade out of the motherboard/processor but keep the rest of the stuff. since this motherboard handles just about any protocol you throw at it (though only DDR2 and no AGP), I'm pretty well set to upgrade preipherals and components over the next few years while I wait for a mature AMD rig :)
 
as you can see there are x800xt pci express card available. not just the card yet. or best bet is to beg alienware or dell to give u one. wich i doubt that is going to happend:D
 
Back
Top