Standards of beauty really are (for the most part) universal.

I find those kinds of social studies to be fairly pointless considering that ultimately, eveyones ideals of what they find attractive will always be subjective regardless of the "majority".. Especially considering the target demographics of what people define as beautiful. Age groups, race, location, etc etc.

Since I live in NZ, I am quite partial to those of the more woolly kind.. *baaaa*

I find your character to be fairly unattractive. Sorry.

* gasp *

This thread is now a babe thread, starring Eva Green: :D

936full-eva-green.jpg

Eva-Green.jpg

Eva-Green-Wallpaper.jpg

eva-green-poster-eeb4d.jpg

wall09_1024.jpg

hey hey hey getting in to genmay territory cut it out.
It started out in genmay territory with the thinnest of connections to a game. That's why I didn't put all that much thought into my reply. ;)

For shits and giggles, this was my Shep:

212iouq.jpg

How did you even collect the data to arrive at this conclusion?

Anyone notice how all the user-created FemSheps in Mass Effect games all have more or less the same kinds of variations in the face?

Also your premises is making the assumption that Mass Effect's playerbase is "universal" in terms of representation. Yet just using sales data you will find this is far from the case. This is just one flaw of many.

mmm no they did a contest actually.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...female-shepard/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...s-Blonde-Against-Brunette-in-New-FemShep-Poll

anyway I guess your questions answered though. Personally I and everyone I know I likes all kinds of girls.

blonde won as far as I know btw

Red won, which why it is the cover for ME3. It was a vote for the cover.

I think your charachter is beautiful....and the crossed eyes make me feel like I might have a shot...just like I like my real women ;)

How did you even collect the data to arrive at this conclusion?

There's a thread over on the forums for people to post "their" version of Shepard and it's possible he went through ALL of them and did a comparison with a face scanner and used the measurements to calculate out that.......

Um yeah, I doubt it too. ;)

Some nice faces though in the thread.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9273063

(Some pretty damn creepy ass ones too)

MyShepard19.jpg

Beauty comes down to facial proportions and symmetry, so it is pretty universal. In fact, a computer program can analyze your face and provide ratings similar to how people will judge your face.
http://www.oprah.com/relationships/5-Elements-of-Attractiveness-The-Science-of-Sex-Appeal/3

Yes, I would agree that there are foundational aspects of beauty:

1) Symmetry
2) Even complexion
3) Proper proportions
4) Definition

That's what all the good looking FemSheps have. But, as I've mentioned, I noticed that they also tend to be overwhelmingly causacians with dark hair, so there's definitely something going on there as well. I know most of what I'm saying is just observational, but anyone's own personal observations throughout life can be very powerful when it comes to influencing how you view the world and your conclusions about it.

Only 1 out of 3 of mine line up with your theory. One has light curly hair, one is black, and the last one which actually meets your criteria I modeled off of Cladia Black and named her Aeryn Shep and played a soldier renegade... commando specialty naturally :p

MassEffect2%202010-12-27%2000-59-06-16.jpg

MassEffect2%202011-01-31%2003-17-55-26.jpg

MassEffect2%202012-01-08%2023-50-43-86.jpg

Only 1 out of 3 of mine line up with your theory. One has light curly hair, one is black, and the last one which actually meets your criteria I modeled off of Cladia Black and named her Aeryn Shep and played a soldier renegade... commando specialty naturally :p

I see you like the lesbian variety :p

Ryom's Femshep doesn't really look like Claudia Black... (nice try though). Longer hair on the Femshep might've helped.
0842A1E6-C296-4550-A719-242D60FEFD99.jpg

ME character creation options aren't particularly awesome. There are only a narrow few combinations that don't look bizarre and unnatural, so a lot of the Sheps tend to look the same.

It started out in genmay territory with the thinnest of connections to a game. That's why I didn't put all that much thought into my reply. ;)

For shits and giggles, this was my Shep:

212iouq.jpg

That's my femshep! What the hell

ME character creation options aren't particularly awesome. There are only a narrow few combinations that don't look bizarre and unnatural, so a lot of the Sheps tend to look the same.

Bingo. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to state that.

You either have a character that looks something like a human, or you have someone that just looks...weird.

Hell, the past two femsheps I've done looked odd as hell...but oddly attractive.

+1

Bioware excels at making character creaters that are really hard to work with for decent, realistic looking people. The FemShep OP linked contains most of the facial features available that look realistic. Especially the eyes. Literally all but one of the other eye choices (the big round one) look really, really unnatural with impossible angles or eyes that sit wayyyy too high in the face.

Anyway, I do think there is something to what the OP is saying - to what degree though, I don't know. As also mentioned above, a vast amount of players of the ME series don't post on forums (casual console users) so we're missing a large playerbase.

Also, regarding the hair color - it's the same situation. The dark colors (as Bioware have painted them) look pretty good, but the blonde shade, especially the lightest one, look horrible. The blondes look like a wig you might see worn by someone cosplaying an anime character with yellow hair.

This femshep stuff is good? Are there any big game changes by playing as one?

When I design femshep, she looks great. When the game starts, it looks like my femshep just survived a bout of gout a botched botox operation.

When I design femshep, she looks great. When the game starts, it looks like my femshep just survived a bout of gout a botched botox operation.

A lot of that is specifically the very first scene where the camera rotates around to show Shepard's face as she stands behind Joker. The lighting there as well as the facial "pose" is just HORRIBLE and makes everyone's character look like complete shit.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My token black friend likes obese white women, multitudes of them (and he's actually quite fit).

I prefer slender east-asian girls that I acknowledge as the master race.

Others prefer more a more meat-and-potatoes girl with giant melons.

And then you have your pedobears shouting "TOO OLD" and would make a short bendy armed flat chested anime looking Shep.

The only thing that everyone seems to have in common really is that symmetry is a sign of health.

Back