Standardized Details Label - A hardware "Nutrition Label"

MRoc

Limp Gawd
As much as I really hate any sort of Gov interference or involvement into the marketplace, I feel its time to say it. We need a standardized label on hardware such as and specifically, monitors. The marketing wank is really getting out of hand and its becoming so difficult to weed through the BS and marketing nonsense to find actual specs or details, its ridiculous.

It would seem to me that most manufacturers are so focused on making a flashy ad with photo-shopped images touting what an image may look with their super special technology turned on or off, its such over hyper and exaggerated BS that its really getting frustrating to weed through the BS.

What I wish we had was something like a Nutrition Label on hardware. Something that absolutely forbids BS marketing wank, only allows actual numbers and info in a uniform manner. So that you can put two monitors side by side and get the specs in one place. Also, info on how these numbers were achieved MUST be posted too, often times these numbers are achieved in none realistic situation, kinda like how cars get their estimated MPG on the sales sticker, its all BS.. Utter BS..

I'm just sick and tired of the flashy graphics, BS over exaggerated on/off images and marketing wank. This type of marketing should be prohibited. Best case scenario, we need a hardware "nutrition label" that cannot be fluffed, exagerated or misrepresented without consequences otherwise, consumers get shafted. If it weren't for channels like Linus, I would have NO IDEA what to buy or what's even good.

Anyone else feel the same way?

It's hard to classify products that simply because they all have different corner cases.

You'd have to come up with so many "special" labels it would quickly melt into confusing marketing gobbledygook.

Once you realize that these corner cases matter to someone out there, you realize why the specs and marketing are so hard to follow: because SOMEONE cares a whole lot more than you do.

I will admit that most marketing campaigns are bullshit, but I don't think simplifying labels is the way to fix things.

Back