• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stand Alone SATA Drives - Please Work C & D !

RBall151

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
120
For some reason, I have spent countless hours trying to setup just two plain Seagate 160GB SATA drives. I installed Windows XP on C and plan on using the second HD (D) for storage.

I have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard and can not figure out how to make these two drives work together. They each will run, but while they are both together, HD (C) can not transfer files to HD (D).

On my motherboard, there are 4 possible plugin spots for SATA drives. The North part is labeled SATA2 and SATA 1 , then beneath that there is SEC_SATA and PRI_SATA.
Right now I have the Drives plugged into the North part of SATA1&2.

I'm so frustrated with this setup. I didnt know SATA drives were this hard to get to work, but maybe it just takes one time to learn how to do it! I've read the "ANSWERS" in the forum, and there was no trace of an answer in there to my problem.

Please help.

-Ryan
 
can you be a bit more specific than "cant copy files" like what kind of errors you recieve.
 
I tried to get it to give me an error, but I've messed around with it so much now D isnt even showing up.

Do I need to reformat to get the two drives to work on a fresh install? Or can it be done via Windows Settings/Bios Settings?

What exactly do I need to do to get the two working as single drives..just C and D ..No Raid?
 
are these brand new drives if so you maybe have to set up a partition on them and format them to the OS you are wanting to use
 
They are not brand new drives. I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed on one of the drives.

It seems that I have screwed with everything so much I cant get it to even load windows!

I'm so frustrated, these drives havent worked for awhile.

What do I need to do to get these two to work?
 
RBall151 said:
What do I need to do to get these two to work?

A friend who's able to describe the problem, so that we could begin to help.

Getting 2 SATA drives to work together is absolutely simple, considering there are not jumpers to worry about. It's either a problem in the BIOS, on how you have the SATA ports configured, a dead drive, or bad formatting, in terms of how you partitioned the drives.
 
Well something has obviously gone wrong.

The Drives are New and working.

Do I use the Promise Controller (south end) or do I use the other plugins?

What kind of bios problems or changes should I make?
 
you should probably have them in pri + sec sata. Promise would be if you want to raid or something.
 
So I do want the drives hooked into the SATA1 and SATA2 spots ?

Will I have to reformat once I change to this option and to get the two drives working separately?

What Bios changes do I need to look for?
 
Just a thought, Put them on your promise ports, go to bios and set the config to IDE not raid.

Ev
 
I have tried to do this, with Windows already installed on one of the drives.

Do I need to reformat to get this setup to work?
 
Back
Top