Stampede for iBooks at RIR(the $50 ones)

swatbat

[H]F Junkie
Check out this link for that ibook deal that was going around the net

Yea being a henrico resident I got bored and went up to RIR where they were selling them just too see how many people were there. I took some pics but they didn't come out that good as I was driving. The line of cars was a good half a mile in one direction and over a mile in the other with a few thousand people in line. Good stuff. The sad thing is how many people were in line when they already knew that only the first 1000 people or so would be able to buy one. I'm kinda hoping for a riot to break out but thats prob not a good thing to say.........

I had planned to go out there and get one, but then they made it residents only. :mad:

I really wanted one too. Looks crazy though.

Xephian said:
Crazy. Would be nice if you actually got one.
I was talking to my stepfather about that on the phone. He was making fun of me saying if I went up there last night like the stupid people that did I could have gotten one. Hell I just sold my g3 800. These people are stupid. Is it really worth fighting all those stupid fucks to save what 200 bucks or so. These things were going for around 300 ish on ebay. Wait till like 150-200 get dropped on there this week. You think they will go for more then 250? These notebooks are in pretty bad shape(missing keys, beat up cases). If it involved me waiting in like like 3 or 4 hours then sure I would have been game. I would have made myself a picture frame out of one of them. I gotta laugh how they had the gates closed and people had made a line next to them. People had been there like since 10 pm the night before and as they opened the gates cars started to pull in as you can park inside the place. Mind you the people in the cars were waiting for a few hours. If I was the henrico government I would have had my police force out in full force writing tickets for the cars people parked around in no parking zones and wrote people tickets for loitering. They had told people that they were not going to allow people to camp out and they should have taken full advantage of it. Humm 5000 loitering tickets along with god knows how many tickets for cars. Good days pull in.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%7E24653%7E3012543,00.html#

And another. Glad I didn't bother, and I was going to ask my oldest sister who's a senior admin in the Henrico school system to try and get me one. Sheesh... what a screwed pooch event this turned out to be.

bb

EDIT:

Same story, it was put out across AP so all the major news sites have basically the same exact articles... but the woman peeing on herself... my god, how pathetic can one get :p

ramuman said:
Might as well have said Apple laptops which retail upto and over $3000.

Might have, but that doesn't make sense. If it's both up to and over, why include a number at all?

Wow, it is still amazing and sad to see what people will do with a little greed....

mikeblas said:
Might have, but that doesn't make sense. If it's both up to and over, why include a number at all?

I put that because a decked out 17 costs more than 3k - I didn't know exactly how much. Of course now that I priced it at Apple - 3549.

My point was that they're making it seem like these people were fighting for a $1000+ discount when it was in fact more like a $200-300 laptop (don't know the exact condition of these) for $50.

I've had people bring a few in to be upgraded and or fixed and they very. Some are beat to hell others are in pretty good shape. They are prob worth about 250 to 300 bucks. The funny thing is I was thinking a shit load of these were going to end up on ebay. They didn't yet. Not worth all the trouble to get one.

ramuman said:
I put that because a decked out 17 costs more than 3k - I didn't know exactly how much. Of course now that I priced it at Apple - 3549.

Then the phrase "could cost over $3000" would be accurate and appropriate. Right?

Sorry to harsh your deal, but poorly worded ranges and stastical phrases ("costs an average of up to $3000") are a real pet peeve of mine. When I read stuff like that, I have to check to be sure I'm not actually reading the USA Today.

"One woman went so far to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line."

haha thats like asking someone "would you wet yourself in a line full of people for $250?"

a lot of people would probably say no...

sniper991122 said:
"One woman went so far to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line."

haha thats like asking someone "would you wet yourself in a line full of people for $250?"

a lot of people would probably say no...

and many more would probably say yes.. :p

Oh4Sh0 said:
and many more would probably say yes.. :p

It depeneds. Do I have to wait in the line a few hours like that dumb bitch did? If so no. Give me 250 bucks to walk up to a line and piss myself. Hell I'm game.
One cool outcome of this is now everytime they sell stuff at a flat fee the henrico county residents have first dibs. I use to go to the surplus sales all the time and buy shit to resell. Now it is split into 2 days. Since the first day is henrico residents only there should be less people there. I bought up a bunch of cisco routers a few years ago when they had them for like 10 or 15 bucks a peice and ebay'd them for over 200 a peice. Umm beer money.

while it is fun to make fun of people for a $200 discount, i don't think that's the point. these people were acting like fools because the laptops were $50, and regaurdless of how slow a laptop is, $50 is a fantastic price (i recall paying $350 for a thinkpad 600e back in the day for just basic shit, and these are faster)... and here's the big thing, if you're not someone with a $1300 watercooled custom made blinking AMD 64 bit of goodness system that smashes lesser systems with massive hammers and slices others with blades (you get the point) but rather someone where the $50 price point COULD be the price point at which you can afford a computer (yes, people are that poor, there's millions of people below the poverty line in this country) then yeah, i can see being stupid and waiting like cattle for a slow ass ibook with some kids snot all over it, because it's the point at which you can buy. i'm not saying everyone was one welfare but rather i could see such an example happening.

-esr

dont look anymore into this, but I once heard from a forigner from the Middle east that America was teh best country in the world, becasue when they went to disney land, everyone stood in line and it was a first come first serve basis. and everyone respected that.

Must be cultural differences

Back