• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stalker Online

I will need to try it when i get home. I got a feeling it is some lame mmo.
 
Someone tell me how it is before I download (running out of HDD space). I dislike MMOs in general though I really enjoyed the STALKER series. Can I play this offline? Is it grind based? Does it even work very well?
 
Looks pretty awesome! I was a fan of the original Stalker game. I'll definitely give this a shot. And it's community created.

Watched some videos and it seems to have a Day-Z type feel to way things play out, except you have some merchants and friendly NPC's that you can interact with. It's too bad that there doesn't seem to be some type of permanent death of your character. I think that would add to a lot of the fun factor and intense situations. Maybe even something like a set number of lives would be cool.
 
Might try it today after work. Watched a long YouTube video, looks interesting. Having just spent some time playing the ultimate shittiest game ever (WarZ) there's no way this can be worse.
 
Me and my bro are DLing now....will report in a couple of hours. Client is DLing terribly slow, probably due to the fact that its EU.
 
Have you played the STALKER games before? Is it really that much worse than the original in terms of gameplay mechanics and feel?

Doesn't seem like it closely resembles the originals in any way. Seems like generic mmo XXVI.
 
Waiting for more people to chime in. I have a suspicion this is gonna sucks balls.
 
It's pretty fucking bad. This is coming from someone who has spent a good amount of time playing the POS garbage games War Z and DayZ for the past couple of months out of boredom. This is worse. Movement is really laggy, eh I just don't even know where to begin. I'm going to give it a couple of hours of playtime but I'm thinking I won't get through much more than that.
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rZfTSwWJZQ


.....lol

Anyways, doesn't some other company own the rights to STALKER and the original devs are making a MMO that's roughly like it, but without the actual name? I don't think this is it by a long shot, and I bet this company gets sued for using the name if they didn't get permission lol. Just wondering.
 
Looks slow and boring. And what's with that 3rd person bs.

Have you played the STALKER games before? Is it really that much worse than the original in terms of gameplay mechanics and feel?

That video a few posts above yours convinced me that it's actually worse then the original game. Who would have thought that's possible lol
 
Looks slow and boring. And what's with that 3rd person bs.



That video a few posts above yours convinced me that it's actually worse then the original game. Who would have thought that's possible lol

What was wrong with SoC (aside from early bugs)?
 
What was wrong with SoC (aside from early bugs)?

I actually was a fan of the first Stalker game. Not because it looked all that great (although with some mods, it does look pretty damn slick), but because it definitely created an eerie atmosphere and feel. Plus, some of the monsters you run across will pop up so unexpectedly, you'll nearly shit your pants. There were definitely some very good things about the game.

That's why i'm sad to hear that this new mmo game is nothing like the first.
 
GET OUT OF HERE STALKER!


Whoever made this pile of shit needs to be eaten by a Bloodsucker.
 
So.. either you people are being too harsh, or I expect too little from a beta...

I spent 4 hours playing with a friend today, it was fucking awesome. Yeah, theres a ton of bugs. Rats and small creatures are fuckin hard to see in the grass. Theres really bad lag at times.

We mostly ran through the first two small zones to get into the "big" areas, and we've only been on the first "big" map, and only a part of that map (I have heard theres two "big" maps? I dont know for sure, theres not a lot of info that I have found, but I havent looked too hard) (Also, THANKS FOR THE YOUTUBE LINK EARLIER IN THREAD!!!!! The walkthrough in it to get to the first big area was a HUGE help. Still managed to get lost in the sewer things, but it was easy enough to wander around and get out. The game seems to be a LOT better in the "big" maps, it feels more "natural")

Anomolies are fuckin' HARSH. You step into one, you're toast if you dont get the hell out instantly. AWESOME! I *LOVE* this. It's unforgiving, it's like the zone. You dont make mistakes twice, you fuck up, you die. Might be different when you have tons of equipment, but as a mildly-poorly geared noob, its brutal getting artifacts in anomolies. Gotta be good with the rocks too, sometimes a clear path is pretty narrow.

I was standing in town talking to my buddy on skype. Some dude opens trade with me, puts two nice artefacts in it, and clicks trade. Awesome! But, since trade takes 5 seconds, he cancels it and runs off, then does the same to my buddy. Clearly just being a douche, we're dissapointed and not looking forward to our first penetration to the zone. Neither of us types anything in the game at this point, we're on skype, so we havent said anything to anyone.

I wander to the campfire near the ammo trader, and am standing there while my buddy is afk. Some other guy wants to trade with me. I figure whatever. He gives me a pack, pants, armor vest, 4!!!! hunting rifle shotguns, and like 40 ammo for them, clicks trade, and gives it to me. Some random guy, I've never seen, sitting on a building near the campfire (I later saw him sitting in the top of a tree with a few other people in nearby trees, started laughing my ass off lol), gives a random noob who hasnt said anything at all in the game to anyone with ~600 rubles, basic pistol and ~150rnds ammo, a fantastic chance. Without knowing it, he kindly gave me a shotgun to give my friend who also only has the basic pistol at this time. I said "ty" and he said "np" or "yw", I dont remember. That's all. A random stalker standing around the fire, well equipped and comfortable, decides to toss out a starter kit to some other random new stalker, clearly afraid of the zone, huddling close to the fire, a simple pistol his only protection.

So my buddy and I are pretty happy, I now have a pack, leg armor/pants, armored vest, Perfect condition hunting shotgun with 40 or so rounds, and a basic pistol (I cant remember its model atm :( ) as backup, he has no armor or anything, but now has a perfect hunting shotgun and we chipped our money together to buy him a thing of ammo, 20 or 30 rounds, and a pistol backup.

We head out in a random direction, and after traveling 3-4 minutes, killing a few boars here and there on the path with the new shotguns, laughing on skype about how awesome it is to 1-2 shot the boars with no worries now, spot some storage tanks in the distance. We mark it on the maps as (refinery?), and head toward it. We're on the west side of it, slowly approaching a break in the wall around it. Suddenly we spot an electrical anomoly directly ahead, and throwing rocks, a fire anomoly along the wall, closing the near path to the opening. We head out a little to go around the electical anomoly directly in front of the opening and try sneaking in from the other side. My buddy is ahead of me, about 5-10 feet, and suddenly.... hes gone. "Shit, Im somewhere way to the north on the map, coordinate XX!" on skype from him. I freeze, suddenly alone in the zone, unsure of what happened. I cautiously move forward, thinking theres a teleport anomoly (Previous stalker experience, I loved these in the other games). Suddenly, I'm far to the south! DAMN! It *was* a teleport/space bubble anomoly.... but instead of sending me to where my buddy was, it sent me to a random place! A twist!!!! You can NEVER be comfortable in the zone, because I assumed from previous experience it would send everyone to the same place, I went in, and as punishment, I now find myself far to the south, about three times farther away from my buddy than I was.

That's just a part of our adventures, about 1/3 of it. We regrouped, while regrouping, I was PKd by some assface, he popped me twice from a ways away on a raised road, I was in the open and couldnt do anything, just tried to run to cover. He only got me twice then wandered off to leave me to the zone, when I finally got to cover, my buddy was there and we headed back to the same "refinery", approaching from the other side. We eventually made it in after dying to some fire anomoly outside the wall, the "refinery" is actually a military base/storage depo, a small place, and filled with anomolies. We found a few artifacts worth ~1500 each, and went to leave, both walked into ANOTHER damn space anomoly INSIDE the area, sending us both to very differnt points again. We decided to head back to base each, and I did that, etc

Its not a scary game. But its a freaking unique game, the anomolies are actually a challenge as there are no detectors or anything as far as I can tell, so you need to be careful. Monsters so far are pretty weak, but there have been a few awesome moments, like when ~8 spiders were attacking my buddy and I, hectic moment when we both have shotguns that only fire 2 shots before reload!

I'm now a grizzled vet of the zone after my first deep trip.

Again, laggy, buggy, not scary. Atmosphere is pretty decent if you get into it, once you get to the main map area, its a TON more fun. It's a BLAST with a friend who likes the stalker games on skype. We both know what to expect from a beta product thats hosted (I assume?) somewhere in Europe, and developed by people similar to (I dont really know whos behind this) the original stalkers... same strange language "things" (A little worse as its a beta and what not), some spots arent translated, etc.

I can't honestly say I have had a better time recently. I've been itching to play stalker lately, and just started COP with the Misery mod, but this game has TOTALLY satisfied that itch for me, and it allows me to *play with a friend*. It's coop stalker to me, and playing it as that, it is one of the most AMAZING things I have played.

Oh.. quests dont work sometimes it seems, but I wasnt really questing, mostly exploring and trying to find artifacts for some money to buy better equipment for my friend and I. Made my own storyline, just like I tend to do in the other stalker games from time to time. I do the main story, but I like to just go into the zone and wander around, killing things and getting artifacts just to be in the zone... this game just seems to be the perfect fit for that. I dont think of it as an MMO,


Thats a LOT of typing, and Im quite surpried, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this game for what it is, and I hope to hell it gets better.
 
I knew this game was a turd when I saw the pic of the giant dead spider in it.


There are no giant spiders in Stalker. Get the lore right or don't bother making it.
 
What was wrong with SoC (aside from early bugs)?

Isn't that obvious? I quoted the guy. All STALKER games share the same crap mechanics. Movement and shooting are crap imo. And don't get me started on jumping...

Love the atmosphere, though. I tried really hard to like it as a game. No luck. I bought them all, even though I hate them as games.
 
Isn't that obvious? I quoted the guy. All STALKER games share the same crap mechanics. Movement and shooting are crap imo. And don't get me started on jumping...

Love the atmosphere, though. I tried really hard to like it as a game. No luck. I bought them all, even though I hate them as games.

Well.. that's.. just like.. your opinion.. man. :p
 
I knew this game was a turd when I saw the pic of the giant dead spider in it.


There are no giant spiders in Stalker. Get the lore right or don't bother making it.

They had to create new creatures, they cant steal the creatures from a currently existing game - I dont think they have the rights to the data from stalker or something, everything is different, but still more than close enough and understandable givin the situation.

For some reason, I also get a little more of a Roadside Picnic feel from this game than the other Stalkers, its story seems based more on a situation from that book than from Chernobyl.
They state on the site that Chernobyl was the start of something, and that there are multiple "zones" spread around the world, and that they are almost like the planet itself is rebelling against humanity as a result of things like chernobyl, not as a result of what we did, or the c-consciousness group. Much more like how in roadside picnic there were "visitors" that came and when they left there were zones where they had been, or something like that. Its been a while since I read the book.

BTW, if you like stalker, I would definetly recommend reading Roadside Picnic, its available online for free, and isnt too long. Its not a bad read. I've also watched the STALKER movie from russia or somewhere that was made in the 70s or 80s based on the book, it was a pretty good movie considering as well, but reading roadside picnic is a must I think for the movie to make a lot of sense, especially as its in a foreign language so youll need to read subtitles, and its a somewhat slow movie with a lot of sitting in the bar and at home before he goes to the zone.
 
So, judging from the 2 pages of mixed feelings, anyone want to chime in whether this is worth at least a try?
 
I download it, play 30 minutes and remove it from my PC, I don't like this gameplay at all.
 
So, judging from the 2 pages of mixed feelings, anyone want to chime in whether this is worth at least a try?

I watched 3 gameplay vids on Youtube, so I'm an expert. It looks like no fun and it looks like ass.
 
They had to create new creatures, they cant steal the creatures from a currently existing game - I dont think they have the rights to the data from stalker or something

Then they need not Call it "Stalker" Online and give people the wrong impression.

I'll check out the book you mentioned, it sounds great and I am a huge fan of the games.
 
if you want a good mmo shooter game try
defiance

i played in the beta test and boy it is like borderlands.
 
Thanks for taking the time to write about your experiences, FighterAce. I think I'll give this a try when I'm able.
 
Then they need not Call it "Stalker" Online and give people the wrong impression.

I'll check out the book you mentioned, it sounds great and I am a huge fan of the games.

This game is not S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It is Stalker. It's based on the same source material so it has 'anomalies' and 'the zone,' but it is an independent project. I also was confused when I first heard of the game. Wait for Survivium is you want a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MMO.
 
This game is not S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It is Stalker. It's based on the same source material so it has 'anomalies' and 'the zone,' but it is an independent project. I also was confused when I first heard of the game. Wait for Survivium is you want a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MMO.

Or if you dislike MMO's as I do and want more single player S.T.A.L.K.E.R. action,wait for the release of the Lost Alpha mod,it's the nearest thing to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 we're liable to see anytime soon.
 
Back
Top