• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Stag beetle photos

HorsePunchKid

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2003
Messages
1,414
I found this stag beetle (Lucanus cervus) outside at about 1AM; picked it up on a sheet of paper and took it back inside to get some photos. Poor guy (girl, actually, I think) is missing a leg but seemed to be able to get around fairly well. Photos with Fuji S2 Pro, Sigma 50mm and 150mm, and a Sigma ring flash. Definitely a winning combination!

Scale reference:
DSCF5071_stag_size_sm.jpg


Lateral view:
DSCF5076_stag_lateral_sm.jpg


Ventral view:
DSCF5080_stag_ventral_sm.jpg


Portrait:
DSCF5018_stag_portrait_sm.jpg

(Note the reflection of her leg in her eye!)

Comin' at ya:
DSCF5015_stag_beetle_sm.jpg

(I liked that one enough to make a wallpaper.)
 
Nice job there, I just learned some new descriptions of views. Also, I'd probably not be able to think straight at 1AM to pick this sort of creature up & take pictures of it. And here I am posting at 1AM, haha... :D

I really need to do something about my own flash. Maybe some foamcore, hot glue, and tin foil will get my light where I need it. Anyways, keep it up. I suddenly have an urge to take close-up pictures of food items & fruits...
 
ScubaSteve said:
looks like a june bug to me
It may look a bit like one in the photos, but you'd definitely recognize the difference if you were to come across one. They're much larger, quite a bit darker, have a larger thorax and head in relation to the abdomen, and perhaps most distinctively, they have a defensive posture that the go into when threatened (which I guess I haven't really captured here). The male has the "stags" and is much more recognizable.
 
The pics are a little clinical to my eye but still very sharp captures. How did you get it to sit still?

PS - why isn't there any EXIF data?
 
Nice pics, I just saw a gigantic black beetle in my house for the first time ever two nights ago. It was caught in a spider's web and it the spider was trying to eat it. Pretty hard to do though since the beetle was about 20x its size. :D

And PS-RagE, it looks like he probably stripped the EXIF data out of the pictures during editing. And apparently, if a stag beetle encounters a large object moving around, it stands still.
 
PS-RagE said:
The pics are a little clinical to my eye but still very sharp captures. How did you get it to sit still?

PS - why isn't there any EXIF data?
They are rather clinical, aren't they? Hopefully that's just because it was about 2AM by the time I actually got around to taking photos, and at that point, I just wanted some quick, accurate shots. :(

The EXIF gets stripped out by Photoshop 7.0's astonishingly lame "Save for Web" sub-app. I could list dozens of things that are just simply wrong about how it operates (mangling filenames, nondeterministic defaults, etc.). Anyway, I started using "Save for Web" to cut down the size of my thumbnails in my old gallery, though I guess that's a moot point now; it's just part of my work flow, really. And poor though "Save for Web" may be, it's still significantly more useful for quality/size optimization than "Save As... -> JPEG".

Time to upgrade, perhaps, since my new gallery (Gallery2, that is) will actually pull out EXIF and display it on the photo page.
 
BillLeeLee said:
And apparently, if a stag beetle encounters a large object moving around, it stands still.
Yup, exactly. That was the defensive posture I mentioned. It is actually quite intimidating, considering how small the beetle actually is. ;)
 
Back
Top