Stable router for small business

joblo37pam

2[H]4U
There are a ton of threads around here for home routers, but I don't see much discussion about small business stuff, so pardon me if this has been answered. I install and work with quite a bit of this equipment, but mostly with consumer grade equipment, so I would like some recommendations based on what you have found to work well.

I'm looking for a new router for my business. It needs to be rock solid stable and perform well. I only have a 3mb/1mb dsl connection, so it doesn't need insane throughput. At peak times of the year, I have 10 active computers in the office and 6 VoIP devices (PBX, Gateway, 4 Phones). The computers only access a web based database program, so they aren't too demanding. They are all connected by Dell PowerConnect 2716 Gig switches.

I am a linksys reseller, so I have been using a WRV200 for about a year now based on their recommendations, and haven't been too impressed. It has issues with FTP traffic, and I need to restart it at least once a week to make everything work and there has been no firmware update for almost a year. I'm told their RV0 series are better, but I'd like a second opinion before I order anything. I'm not opposed to other brands, either. I don't even get very good pricing for being a reseller, so I don't play favorites. I do want it to be a standalone device though, not a Linux box

The router doesn't need to have VPN, as my SBS2003 box does that just fine. It doesn't need to be wireless, either. I have a Cisco 1131 a/g sitting on a shelf in a box that I should be using. I could find a place for it elsewhere, though, if the router had wireless built in.

Anyway, enough blabbing. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

At my company we got a linksys RV082 that supports about 50 total users:
Serial Number : DEZ004400401 Firmware version : 1.3.5 (Jan 11 2007 00:22:46)
CPU : Intel IXP425-533 DRAM : 32M Flash : 16M
System up time : 172 Days 19 Hours 46 Minutes 31 Seconds (Now: Mon Mar 17 2008 13:14:04 )

We generally do max out on our comcast business line bandwidth. The only reason why it went down was because of a power outage.

At my company we got a linksys RV082 that supports about 50 total users:

We generally do max out on our comcast business line bandwidth. The only reason why it went down was because of a power outage.

Do you use the dual WAN feature?

The secondary wan is setup for failover. And no, you can't bond the two connections. It can load balance them though.

The secondary wan is setup for failover. And no, you can't bond the two connections. It can load balance them though.

I have all of the documentation on the failover, I just haven't heard from anyone that actually uses it. I've heard of quite a few problems with VoIP on those models, though.

I've deployed a few dozen of the Linksys/Cisco RV082 and RV016 units..I often use an RV082 at home...full time VPN connection to my office. For the price..great small business router...fast, stable, good PPTP box (their IPSec QuickVPN client sucks though).

I have a couple setup on dual WAN...not bad. Both load balance, and failover.

I have read some people having mixed results with VOIP...I have no input on that...I stay away from it.

With the failover, you just set it up to how many times it will retry, then it will switch back once the main link comes back online. With voip, it all depends on how you set up the router. You can also set it's bandwidth control using priority or rate control. You can also set these controls for either wan link or both. Set up properly, there shouldn't be any issues.

+1 for the RV042 and 82, i've deployed a couple 82s and actually 19 of the RV042 (the cheapie)

and they all stay quite solid... all of the 42s are @ remote offices and connected via VPN to a central network... and they rarely go down...

as stonecat mentioned, pptp works good, but only supports a few users (on all models)... the IPSec QuickVPN is good routerside, but software blows clientside...

and that is that...

It's good to see so much positive about the RV042. I may lean that way. I was a little sceptical after reading the newegg reviews. As I mentioned, I don't need the vpn feature, so that's not a big deal.

I have also considered a cisco pix because I have actually used them quite a bit, but I really don't want to mess with setting one up (or pay for one). I think they're actually discontinued now, anyway.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

there's the everpopular linux router distro route... there are distros that are "standalone".... any particular reason you don't want to play that game?

all depends on what you want/need besides a connection that is solid

I'd recomend the rv series as well but I can't speak on the voip issues either.

The sonicwall routers seem to be a pretty solid device and I have a few of them I support(that other consultants setup before me). Pretty easy to configure and seem to work fine. I just can't stand the mcafee av they use(which can be disabled).

Another option would be a cisco 871. They are a little more but I've seen them sell new for under 400 bucks. By default they have the web sdm enabled so they are not that hard to setup. These are what we have been installing in small business settings when we need something over the consumer grade stuff. So far the ones we have installed have been rock solid(which is what I expect from a cisco router).

The linux/unix routers are another option if you want to experiement some. Throw it on a cheap pc and you are good to go. Depending on your setup a turn key box may be a better solution(sonicwall, cisco, linksys rv etc)

What's your budget?

I bought a Cisco 2801. Does quite a bit- I don't use most of its features.

But mainly, it's a Cisco device, known to perform well and predictably. That, and the fact third parties generally interface and support the Cisco IOS.

Why not use IPCOP or Smoothwall. I have been using IPCOP for years and its focus is less then 200 users and it can be had for no $$$ if you have a old computer laying around. Extremely stable, I just had an uptime of 53 days which was lost because bellsouth went down but the rounter is still up. I have seen people with uptimes of over a year.

Pair this with a nice gigabit switch and you have a sweet system. IPCOP is extremely secure and performs well.

Why not use IPCOP or Smoothwall. I have been using IPCOP for years and its focus is less then 200 users and it can be had for no $$$ if you have a old computer laying around. Extremely stable, I just had an uptime of 53 days which was lost because bellsouth went down but the rounter is still up. I have seen people with uptimes of over a year.

Pair this with a nice gigabit switch and you have a sweet system. IPCOP is extremely secure and performs well.

i would have to say +1 for ipcop... i have my personal box running on an OLD HP sock462 board with a duron 1400 thats undervolted... 4gig scsi drive... 256MB ram... some power supply i TOTALLY expected to be dead by now, and some nice netgear nics... i have uptimes of 200 days + ... mainly due to having to reboot after installing updates... after the hurricane season and yearly power outages subside, the thing stays up forEVER on cheap hardware that you'd expect to die at any moment

let alone on a box that is actually designed to be on 24/7... a proper box with workstation or servergrade board and a solid power unit and a flash based storage for logs and etc

I'd certainly say "Yes" to building your own *nix router.

But...I'd step up a bit...you're talking a Small Business Server..which means Exchange..and a business network. Thus...a full blown UTM appliance...doing antivirus scanning of all traffic, spam removal, etc.

First vote...Untangle. Also does fantastic anti-ad/spyware blocking.
Second vote...Endian
Third vote...IPCop..with the Copfilter add-on.

I think the *nix boxes are all well and good, but I would prefer not to use one if possible. For starters, I don't have any old hardware lying around that is stable, so I would have to buy something, making it not any cheaper. Second, I don't want something taking up a bunch of space and making noise. Third, I prefer to have some sort of support/warranty for the device.

Besides all that, I don't need all the spam/av/spyware blocking features. If I wasn't personally there supervising everything, maybe. But since I am there, I would rather keep things basic.

I like to play around with Linux/etc as much as you guys do, but when it's time for business, I don't want to have to "play".

Besides all that, I don't need all the spam/av/spyware blocking features. If I wasn't personally there supervising everything, maybe. But since I am there, I would rather keep things basic.

I like to play around with Linux/etc as much as you guys do, but when it's time for business, I don't want to have to "play".

excellent response to my question...

all valid concerns...

i'd say go for one of the RV0s

Cisco Express Line...

I do a lot of side work to my network engineering career, I won't touch you if you don't have a Cisco or won't allow me to get one in there. Frankly if you don't have one, you aren't too worried about your business at least as far as IT is concerned.

The Express Line will give you <$500 prices.

Thanks,

Mike

I think the *nix boxes are all well and good, but I would prefer not to use one if possible. For starters, I don't have any old hardware lying around that is stable, so I would have to buy something, making it not any cheaper. Second, I don't want something taking up a bunch of space and making noise. Third, I prefer to have some sort of support/warranty for the device.

Good points. Just wanted to say the hardware doesn't have to be anything special.
I've got it running on 2.0Ghz with 1GB of RAM old Gateway desktop. Runs well, 50 PCs attached.
Good thing is once you have it installed, you don't even need a monitor or anything. Mine has power and network- that's it. Don't know if that helps you any.

As for support, they do have a paid version, but cost is cost... But anything you buy you will be paying support for anyways.

Cost is great on Untangle. FREE.
I got it running in a few hours- very easy setup.

I must say I was skeptical when I tried it. I was using IMF to filter spam. Had ton of "enlargement" emails, prescriptions, etc. Mainly, it didn't seem to stop any image-based spam.

Untangle did. Every spam product is different, so I had different types now allowed through, but it did stop most all of the image-based, and other spam. The best part is users can free up their own emails.

Up to you... It doesn't add any administrative overhead at all- it makes your job easier. More like a tool to make things easier versus more software to support.

look into Freedom9 Freeguard 100. MSRP is like $550, come talk to me I will get you a better price.

great router, can do dual wan, for $199 you get the spam, antivirus, content filtering extended package. great support you call and you talk to someone right away.

Back