• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stable bclk overclock now unstable

Einzige

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 2, 2016
Messages
82
OK I am running a bclk overclock on a eon x5650.

Originally I was running 195 bclk, 1.35v. Hyoerthreading disabled with turbo on resulting in 4.3ghz.

This became unstable randomly and I dropped it to 190bclk and it was stable. Previously this passed a 24hr prime95 test and hours of gaming. I've put in over 30hrs of gaming.

Now I'm having drop it down even further because games are freezing forcing a restart.

The overclock is the issue because at stock the problem disappears. The issue seems to be related to my graphics card because prime95 and memory testing are stable. Games tend to freeze on launch but not always.

Motherboard is x58 ud3r Rev 2 what settings should I tinker with?
 
Update: read that AMD frtc was causing crashes and disabled it, crashing stopped.

Now I get a different crash. A blank red screen with a buzzing noise, then a restart. As far as I can tell the problem ceases at stock settings.

Thing is I was running 4.3ghz stable oc for days. Now I crash at 3.8ghz.

Update 2: scaled oc back to 3.6ghz and crashes ceased. A far cry from my previous 4.3ghz oc. To say the least I am not content with this low of an oc.

I can't fathom why the oc would destabilize other than hardware failure.

I think I will return motherboard and processor for one of those surely has to be the reason.
 
Last edited:
Electronics wear out over time, and a bit faster with higher heat/more voltage.
 
I don't think it's the psu. Could be I guess.

Eye tropics shouldn't wear this fast. It's been less than a month.
 
Could be the motherboard or the CPU, or even the PSU not supplying stable power at increased power draw (OC). Heck, it could be the RAM too - doesn't the X58 platform OC the ram with increased BCLK?
 
I have my ram running below the rated 1600mhz.

Power supply is the 1000w cougar so I doubt it could be that.

It was 100% stable until two days ago. Now I can't get it to run games past 3.6ghz.

Can get the processor stable above right on prime95.
 
Post your EXACT BIOS settings here.

I am guessing that you don't have something set properly voltage-wise or possibly speed/timings.

Also what temps is the CPU running at?

How is case airflow?

What is ambient temp?

What temps are the voltage regulators running at? Do you have active airflow across them?

Is the wiring in your house/whatever correct? What else, if anything, is plugged into the same circuit?
 
Previously...

4.29ghz
Multi 22x
Bclk 195
Qpi data link x36
Uncured x16
Ram frequency x8
V core 1.3v
Hyoerthreading disabled

Everything else standard/auto

Passed prime 95 over 24hr and I put over 30hrs of gaming across several weeks.

Ambient Temps were below 30 and load was 60 with fan not nearly at full speed.

However I just reset cmos and formatted my hard drive to see if that alleviated any issues. I swapped out my mobo without reinstalling windows I thought that may have caused issue. Currently testing to see if 4.29ghz 195bclk is stable again.

Edit: Just loaded fallout 4 to see if I crash. So far game loaded more smoothly so fingers crossed.
 
Last edited:
What is the IMC and RAM voltage set at?

The general consensus and recommendation is to not use AUTO on any voltages on the x58 platform when overclocking. It tends to overvolt stuff when you do that.

Setting the RAM timings manually can also help as well because the boards normally do some type of timing "optimization". I've had problems in the past where it would become unstable. Setting all the timings manually fixed it.
 
I've tried setting voltages and timings manually but it always crashes no matter what u set them at. I used multiple other people's settings as guidelines. It posts with most things set to auto or default though.

I'm thinking of sending my card back. I have a feeling it's messed up.
 
Already did. It is stable at stock.

But my previously stable 4.3ghz now is unstable beyond 3.6ghz.

My thinking is th at the overclocking might be bringing out latent issues in the gpu. I have a corrupted splash screen every time I boot but was reassured it was a harmless glitch between gigabyte boards and new AMD cards. I think my card is crapping out.
 
Back
Top