• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stabilize my Overclock Please! :)

edifyingkarma

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Messages
1,464
Hello all,

My adventure in overclocking the XPS 630i is well under way. I currently have the FSB 356.25(1425) and everythings boots as normal. Highest temps under load (prime95) are
51c.

My voltages are
Vcore - 1.40
VTT - 1.40
Ram - 1.95
NB - 1.35

My Ram timings are 5-5-5-15

I am trying to stabilize it as a 3.2 OC is pretty decent considering that the XPS 630i uses a 650i chipset, along with limited voltage tweaks. So I am seeking your advice. Hopefully keeping the voltage as low as possible, I want to stabilize it.

I run a blend on prime95 and it passes the 1024k test. However, in the 8k test 1 core typically fails.

Again, I appreciate all the help that you knowledgable Vets may offer as I am new to overclocking and need guidance.

Assess my situation, taking into consideration all factors and offer advice.

Thanks
 
Is that a Q6600?

In any case, bump up the Vcore a notch. Prime95. Fails -> Bump Vcore up another notch. (until you reach 1.5v or your load temps hit high 60s)

Increasing your NB Vcore a notch may help stabilize your OC as well.

For a much more complete guide, I refer you to the sticky: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647
 
I have it running a 3.1 at

Vcore 1.35
Vtt 1.35
Ram 2.0
NB 1.30

Ive run OCCT for two hours and passed and temps are holding around 57 under full load. I had it running at 3.3 but the vcore was bumped up to 1.45, nb 1.35, Vtt 1.40. I decided I wanted to back it back down to keep the heat down. Ram timings are set to 5-5-5-15 and Ive played COD4, Assasins Creed, and ran 3dmark. No crashed thus far so I think its pretty stable. Im going to run Prime 95 over night to see how it does but over all, Im happy with my results.

Thanks all for you help
 
Yes, its not an impressive OC but it is definitely beneficial. Ive played many of my games to gauge performance gains and it seems as though my CPU was holding my 2 8800GTs back a considerable amount. Definitely happen with my temps and my voltages and Im happy with the bump in speed.
 
Yeah I found better stability at 3.1ghz too. Vcore was more like 1.2 though on my SLACR. Dont have the rig anymore though so i cant give exact numbers. Oddly I found that it needed more voltage in a 64bit environment than 32bit XP.
 
Yeah, My VID is actually 1.325 which is a bit higher than others ive seen, temps are good, so im happy. Now im thinking of modding my case panel, place a sick design and a couple of 120mm fans
 
Yeah, My VID is actually 1.325 which is a bit higher than others ive seen, temps are good, so im happy. Now im thinking of modding my case panel, place a sick design and a couple of 120mm fans

Sounds like fun :) I need to mod my Antec 900, so I can make the cable management look better.
 
Back
Top