STABILITY: What does it mean to you?

oozish

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, we all have the prime95, orthos, super pi..etc.

At what point to you deem your pc stable? from teh overclocking database thread, you must run 2 episodes of orthos for a given length of time. Is this really necessary? I know I can run 1 at higher overclock than 2, however...so that seems to be valid.

Is orthos the new prime95 for dual core?

What are your stability requirements? share them here!

My stability requirements are for Prime95 to not fail within many hours and for me not to have a clue that my system isn't at stock as it's as stable as at stock.

oozish said:

At what point to you deem your pc stable? from teh overclocking database thread, you must run 2 episodes of orthos for a given length of time. Is this really necessary? I know I can run 1 at higher overclock than 2, however...so that seems to be valid.

There's an Orthos version that loads both cores, so I'd get that one.

Since I didn't bother to stress test for 8 hours (which I think is stable), I found my highest stable clock at one hour, and then underclocked that 150Mhz. Never had any problems with the computer yet.

My desktop does not get turned off. For a system to be stable for me it has to be able to run for a long time without a crash or a reboot. It is not uncommon for my desktop to run 45 days or more without a reboot. My BSD systems longer.

Orthos is dual core. Do not run two instances of it simultaneously. I think 8 hours is long enough, though, I have run 18 hours and have also quit at 4 hours with no problems at either ever found.

One hour isn't enough. I'd say 4 hours as an absolute minimum, 8 hours as very good and 12+ hours top end. If you are just burning in then go 2 hours and off then run it again the next day for two to three hours and then a good eight hour run. If eight hours runs well move up th Vcore and start over.

I find there are two deffinitions of "Stable".

1: For benchmarking. I can get my computer to be stable enough to run a 1M test at an insane speed, but then if i try to do do say a 8M test...no go. That is stable enough to do benchmarks with, but not for use on a regular basis.

2: For long term use. If I can run it for 24 hours doing all of my daily tasks such as Prime95 in the background while surfing the internet, checking email with Thunderbird and maybe playing a game or two. That is stable enough to use on a daily basis.

I run my PC 24/7. If it can sustain over a week of continuous running with occasional bouts of gaming without crashing at all or slowing down due to heat, then it's stable.

Orthos, RTHBDRBL (spelling?) and 3Dmark05 running at the same time.

This stresses everything from the HD, Gpu, Cpu, Ram and most importantly, the PSU.

Arcygenical said:
Orthos, RTHBDRBL (spelling?) and 3Dmark05 running at the same time.

This stresses everything from the HD, Gpu, Cpu, Ram and most importantly, the PSU.
I believe it's "rthdrbl" but I could be wrong.

Stable for me is not crashing while gaming/benchmarking ;)

I don't care if it's not "Orthos stable", but if I can't play CS:S for a few hours or run through 3dmark, it's not stable.

My pc is stable if it gives me no errors, zero lockups, no random restarts, no artifacting, no program crashes, and no sound defects throughout its entire period of use, which means if i sit down at it for a few hours during the day, leave it turned on all day, or (and this is the real test) bring it to a lan party, run it extremely hard in all types of 3d games and multitasking for several hours, which generally also means it handles extremes of heat.

So far - my opty rig has been all that.

edit: i honestly don't care if it primes for 24 hours or not - i dont have the patience to wait 24 hours and not use my rig. there's always something that i need to do that would interrupt it anyway. the above requirements work perfect to me.

Are all orthos versions use dual cores 100%? How come in teh benchmark database they require two ver.'s running at the same time?

for the guy above me ^^, you dont have to run ONLY prime95 for 24 hours. Prime leaves your computer relatively usesable for the tasks that it is performing. They have done a good job of making it more or less low priority for the processor, it feels like it is just sorta taking up the CPU usage that would otherwise be and idle process.

Stability too me is an Intel CPU on an Intel chipset on an Intel motherboard at stock speeds. You can slice it every way you want, you can show me CPUs that have passed a million hours of torture testing, I don't care. I've tested it thoroughly, and my most stable systems are all-Intel stock speed systems. My IC7 is Prime stable forever at 3.8GHz, but I still get behaviour I shouldn't at that high of a speed. Intel-Intel-Intel at stock speeds is what stability means to me.

InorganicMatter said:
Stability too me is an Intel CPU on an Intel chipset on an Intel motherboard at stock speeds. You can slice it every way you want, you can show me CPUs that have passed a million hours of torture testing, I don't care. I've tested it thoroughly, and my most stable systems are all-Intel stock speed systems. My IC7 is Prime stable forever at 3.8GHz, but I still get behaviour I shouldn't at that high of a speed. Intel-Intel-Intel at stock speeds is what stability means to me.

While I kinda agree with you I must say that the intel board I had in my system before the one in it now caught on fire. Power circuit on it went up in a blaze of sparks and fire. I was looking right at it when it happened too. Gotta say it was a great talk with intel. They wanted to charge me for tech support so a tech could give me an rma(it is free if you do it online). I told the guy the board caught fire and had a huge black mark on it. Needless to say I got my RMA. The RMA board is sitting in a box waiting to be used. I just picked up another board(same model) while waiting for the RMA to go though. Personaly I try to stick with intel on intel(motherboard doesn't have to be made by them but I prefer the chipset is). I've had way too many issues with VIA over the years to trust them.

I'm happy with prime95 stable for about 12-24 hours.

Also, it has to not crash or hang up for the various games I was playing. I had a 1GB stick of cas3 ram that passed prime95 torture testing at cas2.5, multiple cycles of memtest at 2.5, etc....but Civ 4 would lock it up hard at random.

InorganicMatter said:

And this is why AMD absolutely owns Intel when it comes to overclocking. I have overclocked my AMD 800mhz and it ran prime95 perfectly stable for several several hours, and the only reason it stopped was because i got tired of watching it. I can also do almost anything I normally do at stock speed at that speed as well.

kill4killin said:
And this is why AMD absolutely owns Intel when it comes to overclocking. I have overclocked my AMD 800mhz and it ran prime95 perfectly stable for several several hours, and the only reason it stopped was because i got tired of watching it. I can also do almost anything I normally do at stock speed at that speed as well.

Umm no. Hell for a while the best gains came from overlocking the pentium 4s. Intels chipsets are also known for being good overclocking chipsets paired with a motherboard that will let you overclock. What the poster was saying is he has seen the best luck with intel gear. Yes you can overclock either amd or intel and have them stable. He is just saying to him intel is more stable. I can understand this thinking about all the problems via' kt133/kt133a chipset caused people back right before the athlon xps came out. A shit load of systems were built off that chipset and a lot of people had issues with it. I also think of all the issues with overclocking the first gen of barton athlon xps. Some were great some wouldn't budge

Your right in that sense, that some are good and some suck, I have had the same experience myself. For example, i had one of the original release P4s and it worked like a dream, it ran cooler than any other P4 at that speed that i had heard of from anyone. Then i got one of those 805D chips, and it absolutely sucked. I got it after reading that article of it reaching 5Ghz or whatever it was, and I think i got mine to like.....3.9Ghz and it wouldnt budge past that PERIOD end of story. That was when i decided that Intel no longer made good overclockers, so i went to AMD, I now own an Opteron 148, and it overclocks very well, extremely well from what i have heard from other people, but i still am not happy with it... :p. I guess its like my friend said, no two chips are the same, they all behave differently. Iv just had better experience with AMD so far.

kill4killin said:
Your right in that sense, that some are good and some suck, I have had the same experience myself. For example, i had one of the original release P4s and it worked like a dream, it ran cooler than any other P4 at that speed that i had heard of from anyone. Then i got one of those 805D chips, and it absolutely sucked. I got it after reading that article of it reaching 5Ghz or whatever it was, and I think i got mine to like.....3.9Ghz and it wouldnt budge past that PERIOD end of story. That was when i decided that Intel no longer made good overclockers, so i went to AMD, I now own an Opteron 148, and it overclocks very well, extremely well from what i have heard from other people, but i still am not happy with it... :p. I guess its like my friend said, no two chips are the same, they all behave differently. Iv just had better experience with AMD so far.

Your upset that you only got a little over a GHz overclock? On a nice cheap dual core chip at that? I would say that a over Ghz overclock is good. Yes it is not the best but you are still getting a great bang for the buck

oozish said:

as l0ng as i can play through 8 hours of gaming i really dont care which is not smart given my speed :p

If I can use my computer as I do normally for some long period (several months, preferably) while leaving it on and folding 24/7 it's fine IMO.

I am a musician, so I have alot of stability requirements. All of my audio software must be stable with no glitches at all. I also run dual prime for at least 12 hours and run memtest overnight to check for errors. I also run all of the 3DMarks to test my video card overclocks and other things. The bottom line is how Reaper runs. If I can run multiple tracks with multiple effects in Reaper with no problem, then I'm happy.

Lyquist

My experience is that it has to be at least 24 hour prime95 stable, and preferrably 48 hours. If I only do 12 hours, most of the time windows will have random errors that pop up here and there that can't be experienced except for keeping a computer on for longer than a week. Usually 48 hours nets me a stable enough overclock that I can wait a few weeks before needing a reboot, and usually the reboot is needed because windows update says it needs to restart or some driver I am upgrading says the computer needs to be rebooted.

everything. I hate having shit crash and losing my work. most annoying thing ever.

if it crashes, OC comes down. I typically keep the OCs moderate so I dont have to raise voltage.

Means my opty is at 2.4 because of my ram. I have had it at 3ghz before. But i need to be able to leave it on for weeks/years and play css for 32103821+ hours and not crash once.

A big thing to me is no visual artifacts.

I run a couple instances of Prime95 for a few days and leave the ATITool artifact scanner going overight when I'm stability testing.

Crashing or artifacting is unacceptable.

Back