Stability test without a windows install?

nightanole

[H]ard|Gawd
So i was given a 3930k and a few "try me" lga 2011 asus mobos from a friend that just wanted to launch the system into the wall due to random reboots. Its been hell on him for 4 years now.

I think it may be due to trying to run 32 gig via 8 4 gig sticks that are 1.5v 1600mhz. I have heard only the X series chips have perfect on die mem controllers, so its possible the system could still be fine. I may just have to buy 1.35v memory.

That being said i dont want to eat a win10 key or two by trying to get the system stable with either the rma board or the replacement board.

Is there a system stress test i can run in ubuntu or something? I know i can only stress the ram with a jump drive and memtest86.

Or does the old trick of installing win10 without a key still work for the first 30-60 days?

You can install any windoze and run it w/o issue.

In Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2, the 30-day grace period has been removed. If the operating system is not activated, there is a watermark showing the edition of Windows (although it does not show to activate) on desktop, personalization features in PC Settings like changing the lock screen is disabled. Entire Screen notification appears periodically, roughly once in 6 hours. However, the operating system otherwise functions normally.

Microsoft Product Activation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back