Stability question for Prime95

OblivionLord

Limp Gawd
Ive been running 2 instances of Prime95. Blend and Small FFT. Blend I have set for Realtime priority and Small FFT is stock at low priority. Ive been running the tests since 12:17am last night and Ive gotten in error on the Small FFT test at 14hours later. I allowed the Blend to continue and it didnt error for 24 hours.

Is this error within small FFT meanning there is a problem somewhere or is it something elsemaybe within the fact that the comp doesnt like programs at a lower priority then realtime priority apps?

Last question... is Blend the best tester or Small FFT?

sorry, thats stupid!

only run 1 prime95 at a time... It doesnt really work starting 2 major cpu consuming applications... SETI / FOLDING / GAMES + prime95 causes prime95 to do nothing / barely anything.

And that error ofcourse isn't caused by the program prime95, its that prime didn't managed to get the same reading it expected to read from the cpu/memory.

One thing I noticed when oc'ing my old brick is that sometimes error happen within minutes,, others in hours.

Any error could cause serious system corruption, or just a flaky pixel on your screen.

running 2 instances of prime95 imo is pointless, they even state at their site that prime95 works correctly with HT and that although you only see 50% cpu usage in the taskmanager it is using 100%.

most unstable overclocks will error out within an hour or so, but it is not uncommon to have errors after 8, 10, or as much as 20 hours into it. thats why people say to leave it running for 24 hours to test the stability of your cpu. if your really paranoid about stability run it as long as you feel comfortable.

Dumb question maybe, but did you set it up to use Affinity? (Advanced Menu -> Affinity in version 21.4.1)

Bleh , I'm starting to not like prime. I ran it at some new OC settings and it ran perfectly for 24hrs. Temps were fine and everything. Then for the hell of it I ran it lastnite , wake up this morning and it failed after 5hrs lol. Never changed anything at all , no driver bios or anything different. Eh , who knows....my comp runs fine and I don't do any heavy computing and havn't run into a problem yet....guess it's just one of those prime mysteries.

Originally posted by Swat
Bleh , I'm starting to not like prime. I ran it at some new OC settings and it ran perfectly for 24hrs. Temps were fine and everything. Then for the hell of it I ran it lastnite , wake up this morning and it failed after 5hrs lol. Never changed anything at all , no driver bios or anything different. Eh , who knows....my comp runs fine and I don't do any heavy computing and havn't run into a problem yet....guess it's just one of those prime mysteries.

whats your overclock?

Originally posted by Swat

hey, if you're comfortable with it, good!

I understand why you'd be pissed. That's why you only test once!

I see P95 as a confidence thing for me. If it runs for 24 hours without error for me, I will be content with my OC and it'll be good enough for me.

However... if I see something messed up or if I'm crashing, I'll retest for 48hours. I've done it before :(

im a firm believer that all processors even at stock speeds are defective and will fail sooner or later if running continuous prime95, be it 10 minutes or 10 years.

Originally posted by angrybusdriver
hey, if you're comfortable with it, good!

I understand why you'd be pissed. That's why you only test once!

I see P95 as a confidence thing for me. If it runs for 24 hours without error for me, I will be content with my OC and it'll be good enough for me.

However... if I see something messed up or if I'm crashing, I'll retest for 48hours. I've done it before :(

Ya , but not being able to mess with my computer or play games for 48hrs? :( I think I'll just wait till I get my other rig up in the next few weeks and go balls out with the 48hr test.

Back