Stability issues since installing Win7 64 bit

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day all,

I've been running Win7 32 bit release client since it came out, have had a full copy of 64 bit sitting around for a while (free from University) which I finally got around to installing a couple of nights ago. Ever since I installed it (did a format then reinstall) I've had heaps of problems with it.

Several times it has frozen up with no response, looping the last half a second pre-freeze sound over and over again (sounds like a bloody chainsaw), requiring turning off at the button. It seems this happens when running Windows Media Center more often than anything else (using it to watch TV via Winfast PVR DTV2000 H plus).

Then it freezes up windows quite often. When I stuck in a 16gb Patriot USB stick in it'd freeze the explorer window after a few seconds, giving an error then closing it. It also does this for my new Saitek Cyborg Evo Force joystick, when I open the properties/settings window, it tends to freeze it and close it. Both devices were working fine before, and seem to be working on my other computer no troubles.

I'm running an E6600 at stock speed on a 965P-DS3-rev3.3, 8800GTS 320mb, 2GB 667MHz cheapo ram of unknown maker (could probably crack it open and check, but I just bought it because it was cheap, not becaue it was special), 500GB western digital drive with a 320GB secondry drive (Seagate barracuda I believe, again, its been in there a long time and I dont remember). Nothing is overclocked, its running on a 500W Earthwatts and its been running fine for the past 2 and a half years.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Shouldn't be necessary, but install the latest intel chipset inf package for your chipset/win7 x64.

Does your WinFAST TV card have Vista/Win7 x64 drivers from the manufacture that could be updated?

Updated sound drivers that are specifically Vista/Win7 x64 compatible?

Forgot about the chipset driver! It wasn't on the Win7 download page at Gigabyte and I didn't think to go hunting for it. Since there's no one listed for Win 7, should I try Vista 64 bit, or does it mean Win7 already has the driver built in?

As far as I can see everything else I've installed the latest 64 bit driver (the TV card does have a Win7 64 bit driver).

Last edited:
What driver for the video card? Have you memtested the machine? In event viewer, what are the error messages related to the explorer crashes?

Both of the new system I just built, did that exact thing until I updated the BIOS.;)

Update the motherboard audio drivers. The Win7 64-bit version just came out December 29. What you describe sounds like an audio driver problem to me.

Also, update the motherboard BIOS to the current F14 if you haven't.

i also had a problem with the 195.62 WHQL nvidia drivers.. if thats the version you are using.. you may want to use the 195.62 beta drivers(which dont cause any stability problems) or revert back to the 186.16 drivers which are the first version supported by w7 and the last version nvidia ever made changes on for the 8 series cards.. but check all the other stuff suggested already first just incase..

Back