SSL questions

Time2Kill

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to get an SSL certificate ASAP for my website, but I have a couple of questions. I know I need a dedicated IP, but in the next couple of months I want to move with a new hosting company. Will this mess things up with the SSL certificate since I'll be changing IPs and most companies charge for the certificate yearly or will I just be able to request a new certificate/key and be set to go once I move to the new hosting company?

What matters most is that the host name in the cert matches the one the server is going to respond with, and so just a simply A record update should keep it working. Changing your IP isn't a big deal, just make sure you update your DNS records with it.

Xipher said:
What matters most is that the host name in the cert matches the one the server is going to respond with
Oh yeah, "Domain Name Mismatch" warnings from browsers can really annoying to customers/visitors, real fast.

Xipher said:
yea, if you want to see what I mean click
https://video.google.com

Same thing happens when we login to school portals. Isnt this related to the public key and the reading on the other end (client) having a correspondence issue?

Im curious as to why our master oracle guy and ingenious web developers cant figure this out and they won't let students deal with things like this. We dealt with this issue in networking class. Maybe I'm just nieve.

When the browser sends a request for a page, it includes the server host name in the request. well when you use SSL, you don't see that host name until the SSL socket has been created using the cert with a predefined host name.
If your doing virtual hosting base on requested host names, SSL wipes that idea out. Unless you want to pay for a wild card (*.google.com) cert, the server doing SSL needs to have the cert signed for exactly the host name people will be connecting to it as. I believe commonly wild card certs are very expensive, so most companies get one SSL cert for each SSL server, and if they need multiple they host them on different IP addresses (virtual hosting can be done this way).

Back