SSL Certs

tgray96

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to get an Ssl Certificate, i have looked at a few providers that i have in my mind, but i was wondring if there were any reccomendations or things to look for, and where to start

I can't really help you other than to say it may help to post what it is you are trying
to accomplish with the cert you plan to purchase.

You may find that a self-signed might work for you ..but again ... hard to know without
knowing what you are really trying to do.

Unless you are a corporation and have some sort of business case for a cert from a trusted root CA, just stick with self-signed or build your own CA and issue certs using just about any version of Windows Server.

i was just going to get on of the 12 dollar ones from godaddy, of of the basics, i just want secure login, thats about it

godaddy is a horrible company... don't use them, ever

You don't need a cert from a trusted root for personal use, it's a waste of money.

For personal use, just use a self-signed; the only real diff between a self-signed and one you pay for, is you will get a browser warning with a self-signed cert. But since its just you, you can tell your browser to 'trust' the cert, and the warnings stop.

what about comodo?, i am trying there freebie, but i cant get it setup

If you already have a AD domain and the server is in that domain setup a local CA and go from there.

If you want to buy one, hit up domain.com and use coupon code Hak5 for %15 off your whole order.

Back