• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SSHD or SSD and HDD

scojer

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
10,400
Right now I have a 150gb hard drive for Windows and a terabyte of storage which is finally full. My Windows drive is... IDE... still which is why I'm upgrading that one finally. Should I just get a 2 terabyte seagate Hybrid or a 120 gb ssd and a 2tb hgst hard drive? Does anyone have any experience with the hybrid drives ? I've read reviews but those aren't as reliable as [H]
 
I recommend ~250GB SSD (Crucial or Samsung) + 2TB HGST hard drive.

Does anyone have any experience with the hybrid drives ?

The 4 I have (original Momentus XT models) perform like a USB stick cache for a hard drive. I never ever get fast boots or ever notice the improvement over a regular laptop hard drive.
 
if you can afford it, i would go ssd +hdd, usually hybrid have small flash, that works but not as good as having a puré ssd.

i think the crucial mx100 is giving a lot for what it costs, but i would suggest to do do aneffort and go for the 256gb versión. its not recomendé to have the ssds filled fully, and space is always good to have long term.
 
ThankS for the quick replies. What about longevity of the ssd? I've had my ide for almost ten years now or maybe even more. Would a solid state last that long or longer?
 
ThankS for the quick replies. What about longevity of the ssd? I've had my ide for almost ten years now or maybe even more. Would a solid state last that long or longer?

Have you ever seen any hard disk manufacturer put a ten year warranty on any hard disk, ever? Samsung just put a ten year warranty on their 850 Pro line of SSDs.
 
ThankS for the quick replies. What about longevity of the ssd? I've had my ide for almost ten years now or maybe even more. Would a solid state last that long or longer?


Depends on the size and use. I'd say regardless of what use a 128GB or less SSD will not last you 10 years, however 5 is not unreasonable by any means.

The sweet spot with SSD's is 256-512GB. With SSD's your endurance doubles with the size of the drive because the controller has more cells to store data without having to do as many rewrites. I'd stay away from SSHD's completely. They're iffy and a half-assed effort by HDD manufacturers to break from their current business. Either go all the way SSD or don't and opt for the fastest HDD you can get.
 
I was gonna say if you have a repeated jop that requires one program only you can go with hybrid but after second thought please go with ssd + hdd root better.
 
I've got a Samsung 840 Pro 256gb as my primary boot drive, and a hybrid 2tb Seagate for storage. Works well, copying between the two is blazingly fast. If I had to do it again though, I'd get a bigger SSD, as my Steam folder is taking up tons of space (I want the games on the SSD for the response). You won't be unhappy with a similar set-up, especially since the hybrid drives aren't really THAT much more expensive than the regular ones.
 
Back
Top