SSH/Secure File Transfer question

romeoagogo

Limp Gawd
I have a server I connect to at work via a telnet or ssh session. When I log in it is basically a text menu based application that lets me view reports and such. To save the reports I view I have to turn on logging in PuTTy, go to the proper report, scroll all the way to the bottom (takes like 2-3 minutes) then rename the log file, rinse and repeat for each location I need. I noticed when I first view the report, before I begin scrolling, there was a file location like "/usr/tmp/P######.ptr". So being the curious fellow I am I opened up SSH secure shell, connected to the server normally in a terminal window but instead of viewing the report I opened the file transfer window which SecureShell has. I could then navigate thru the server as if it were an FTP. I got to the /usr/tmp/.... and lo and behold there is the file. Copied it over to my machine and expected it to be formatted oddly or in some way unusable but it is exactly what I need, the entire report. Now here is my question... besides opening a GUI file transfer window as I had to do, is there a way via command line or putty to get this file? I cannot figure out a way to connect to the server and not be locked in to the menus and such. I am thinking if I could figure out a non-gui way to get at this file that I can just write a quick and dirty little script to retrieve all these files for me. My account obivously has the correct permissions since I was able to view and download it but I just am unsure how to get it without a FTP client.
thanks

does the server have samba client on it. you could mout a network drive back to your machine the copy the files over.

well i tried the network drive thing but when mounting is an FTP server it doesn't allow my account access. Going to try WinSCP... seems like a good solutions as it is scriptable as well. thanks

I <3 WinSCP... scripting language is easy peasy and it allows input/output redirecting so I should be able to tie it in with my VC++ project. Thanks for pointing me to this!

Back