SSH question

Alright, my university lab runs on a UNIX system. I can log into my account at the lab using my home computer running PuTTY. My connection is all fine, and i can use word editors, however, certain editors require a new window to be created. When i try to run these editors, on the lab machine, i get an error saying "Can't open display" on my computer. My prof told me sumthin about a deamon but i forgot.

What can i do?

You need to look at the options in putty (Connection > SSH > Tunnels) and check the box labeled "Enable X11 Forwarding." Then you need to install XWin32 (which is not free) and start it, and you'll be able to see all the X-windows that would be displaying on the client.

Cygwin also has a free, ported X11 client/server environment for Windows for which this'll work as well.

Originally posted by skritch
Cygwin also has a free, ported X11 client/server environment for Windows for which this'll work as well.
somehow, i was able to use cygwin to display individual x windows, individual programs, like if i ran xclock or mozilla, but i could never get it to connect via xdmcp like i could with xwin32 (trial version) but now my mingw install is fubared because of cygwin...

Okay, I installed Cygwin and I logged in with PuTTY but it is still not working. When i try to open an application with a window, i get this error message: "X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)."

What now?

Back