SSH Client?

Arch

Gawd
What do you all use for an SSH client? I have putty, its adequate, but I don't like how it hard wraps output. When looking at Cisco router debugs its handy to have something that only soft wraps so if I maximize the window it adjusts accordingly.

i use putty and love it, i don't think i understand your problem though? you saying that when you when you resize the window it doesn't move stuff from line 2 to line 1 and vice versa? i don't have cisco router to play with right now but login into a linux i can do a command have it output on lets say 5 lines of screen then make my screen wider and putty will make the output appear on 3 lines

That's not putty doing the line wrap, there is actually a setting in the routers config doing that. Unlike most *nix shells putty can't update any environment variables to update that on the router, so you will have to do it manually.

That's not putty doing the line wrap, there is actually a setting in the routers config doing that. Unlike most *nix shells putty can't update any environment variables to update that on the router, so you will have to do it manually.

What command on the router controls this? There is none that I know of.

i use putty and love it, i don't think i understand your problem though? you saying that when you when you resize the window it doesn't move stuff from line 2 to line 1 and vice versa? i don't have cisco router to play with right now but login into a linux i can do a command have it output on lets say 5 lines of screen then make my screen wider and putty will make the output appear on 3 lines

I just tried this, definitely didn't work. I made the window smaller, dumped a bunch of content, then made the window bigger. The content on the screen stayed the same width as if I didn't change the window size.

Of course, anything new that prints, prints to the width of the new window, but I'm looking for the previously printed content to resize.

"Terminal" in OSX does this without issue. Unfortunately I'm stuck on a Windows box at work.

putty updates the terminal size information when its resized.........................

I don't think I've ever seen a terminal that resizes text 'after the fact'. Perhaps shells other that bash do this, because thats all I use and i've never seen the desired behavior.

putty updates the terminal size information when its resized.........................

Again, you do realize that Cisco routers DON'T use environment variables like *nix shells right?

do a show config and look for something with the number 80 in it. I know I have seen it when working on Cisco ASA devices.

for those that use putty, look into puttytray, you wont be disappointed

I use putty and AbsoluteTelnet. AbsoluteTelnet is awesome, you have to pay like $20 for it though. One of the things I don't like about putty is how far back you can scroll to look through crap you have been doing. Copying show runs in putty can be difficult if you have a big switch config to copy. AbsoluteTelnet is really nice in that aspect. It also has a lot better copy/paste and copy+paste features.

Don't really have any problems with putty myself, but if the config is getting large you might just increase the scroll back. It's in the Windows setting of putty, and you can change it on the fly.

I don't think I've ever seen a terminal that resizes text 'after the fact'. Perhaps shells other that bash do this, because thats all I use and i've never seen the desired behavior.

"Terminal" in OS X does this, its quite nice. I see if I can make a little flash movie of it.

For personal use I prefer the SSH client from ssh.com because it is free to use. In an office environment I tend to use putty because nobody will pay for client licenses. :D

Back