• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SSD writes with secondary HDD

endlesszeal

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Messages
137
I have a very small Corsair LS 60GB boot drive and a 250GB HDD as storage. I have had this setup since November 2014. I never noticed until today, but Corsair toolbox says Ive used 560GB of writes and 660GB of rides.

I dont use my computer much besides light browsing, downloading anime fansubs and very light youtube usage, so Im really surpised I have that much write already. I save my animes to the secondary HDD, so my SSD never exceeds 40GB of usage (this includes Win7+programs). So I guess my question is, even though I dont save files directly to the SSD, it still writes to it first before writing to the HDD since its the OS/boot drive?

TLDR: Are files written to SSD first if using it as primary OS even though saving files on HDD secondary?
 
It is boot time, web browsing time, tons of data reads and writes to any primary HDD. This includes any virus/malware scanning software. If you can think of it, it will be writing or reading to the drive. Even if you have a secondary drive for your apps and so forth your primary drive will still see a ton of activity. There is nothing abnormal here.
 
Its normal. It is counting amplification as well IIRC. My Sandisk Extreme Pro has since August 2014 (granted i am a bit of a power user):

Total Hours:4,901
Total Days: 204
Total Writes: 18,226 GB
Total Reads: 66,304 GB
Writes per hour/day: 3.71/89.25 GB
Reads per hour/day: 13.52/324.68 GB

I used to be in the 90s to almost 100 GBs per day in writes but it has dropped i guess. I don't carry my laptop around very much any more.

Also my wear indicator according to smart is only 1.56% with 99% of spare blocks remaining so plenty of life to go.

Also this is a 480GB drive.

Also whenever you copy files from one drive to the next Win 7 will copy to RAM then drive. You can see this when transferring from a fast drive to a slow drive because transfer will be fast then slow down and you can see in task manager your RAM usage going up proportional to transfer speed/time.
 
thanks for the replies! learn something new everyday.

60gb x 3000 PE cycles = 180TB, I guess 600GB isnt bad. 0.003% of life used so far =)
 
though i wouldn't expect to get 3k P/E out of it personally.

assuming the sandisk utility is even remotely accurate and reliable I will see a little less than 2500 P/E on my drive.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top