SSD Win7(my first) easy right?

BioInclined

Limp Gawd
So I read a sticky on the overclockers forums but it was from Oct. 2011.
I then came across this thread/sticky...HERE
I am seeing also other places Win7 is pretty easy goign with SSDs.
I plan to put Win7, iTunes, VLC on it for now. Undecided if I plan to put any games on it since the lack of performance increase and read/write increase.

I have the Kingston HyperX 120GB. So if I just keep it simple, hibernate disable, defrag disable is all?
I know it's been asked a million times and I found all the other threads, just a bit "paranoid" about it and don't want to waste/lose a fairly expensive investment.
Thanks

EDIT: I guess my intention was to ask if I would really benefit from a clean install besides fresh registry or if I could just make the move over to the SSD per-recommended directions.

I'm installing a new SSD soon too (Samsung 840 Pro 256GB). Also my first. I don't even know what you're talking about. Can somebody link or talk about this stuff? How is it different than a regular reformat of a new drive? Are there things you don't do like defragging?

Yea, I'm not familiar with the subject but will read.
I saw talk about how Win7 aligns correct no fuss, 4K.

As long as you use a SSD-aware clone tool, like Acronis, there is no issue with moving your current install to the SSD. And you don't need to do anything with the SSD exept install Windows as normal - it will automatically do the things it needs to (like disable defrag). If you want to disable hibernation to eliminate the hibernation file and free up space, that's a good idea, but otherwise you can just install and use it like a normal hard drive.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't clean install. It takes like 10min on a SSD. And it will run games, programs, everything a hell of a lot faster than a HD. And also, you should have all the important stuff backed up on a USB or external so there is no point in not doing a fresh install unless it's just laziness.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't clean install. It takes like 10min on a SSD. And it will run games, programs, everything a hell of a lot faster than a HD. And also, you should have all the important stuff backed up on a USB or external so there is no point in not doing a fresh install unless it's just laziness.

I will more than likely clean install, I just don't have my Win7 disk with me and never had luck booting from a USB in the 5 times I've tried it in different builds. I'll give it all a run tonight though.
I'll report back for you polive and let you know if I came across any issues, I shouldn't though. :D

I suggest getting a intel based ssd of atleast 64gb to freshly install your os on it, updates and other programs frequently accessed.

Alright, sorry I waited since I was doing a case migration and my thermal paste got lost in the mail.
Some things I am wondering are...

I have programs like iTunes, Origin, Steam, etc. Will these know to direct any updates to the, now, D drive(original HDD)? I am contemplating a fresh DL of all them since I walready see Origin threw "Origin Games" on my SSD.

I need to redirect FF to DL things to my D drive now, I can't seem to figure that out. Any help please.

I have all my media on the HDD but of course than will stay there and then I just access that as needed.

Other than that I just have to free up space on my SSD I guess, I only have CoreTemp on it now and have not removed the hibernation settings.
My numbers are...
111GB Total 36.4GB used 75.2GB free
Any pointer or suggestions would be great. If not, I am just going to clean up my HDD the best I can and decide what I want on the SSD.

Also, something off-putting. I just noticed my SSD is in my "USB devices" window for being able to be disconnected via task bar.
I have to go to my D:/program files(x86)/ to get to any programs. I do not know how to move those now on my D:/ to the Start Menu, where progrmas usually go when DLed. I don't mind just pining thing to the first start menu though.

Last edited:
Sorry for the multi post I am currently typing this from my phone and the internet is not stable.

Last edited:
All my media on the HDD
Have Hibernate off since I run16GB RAM
Stopped the page file
Still only at 78.2GB free now...
I looked into the "removable device" aspect and some say it's like that since you can hot-swap some updated their Mobo drivers and it went away. Most saying even if you try to remove the "USB SSD" it won't let you.

The 2 main things now I guess are, my media folder on my HDD is loading SLOW as in, before SSD install it was essentially instant, now it's about 45sec-1min to load a folder of 263GB. I understand since they are not on the SSD they would remain the same, but the load speed of the folder has regressed. The playback remains fine but the time it takes from my "drag and drop" has also increased a few seconds. I would see if putting VLC(media player) on the SSD helps but it still has to read from the platter HDD, so I feel no change would be seen.
In BIOS I have it set as "As SATA" not as "IDE" of course the SSD is on AHCI.

I am getting frequent issues with "need permission from TrustedInstaller" I have read that this could be from the OS seeing another OS(on my HDD still) and protecting itself/me. I have left it on for now since I need to make sure of course all goes well. I really have nothing too important though I couldn't lose.

Last edited:

I don't think you can generalize like this. I recently screwed up my Win 7 install, which was on an HDD. Since I was planning to migrate to an SSD anyway, I decided that this was a sign from heaven that I needed to do the upgrade now!

So I'm in the process of reloading everything that was in my Programs drive. Win 7 Pro is a snap to install. But all my apps and utilities :eek: I'm talking MS Office 2010 Pro here, plus Adobe Acrobat Pro plus Photoshop and Lightroom, plus personal finance, plus the FireFox browser with plug-ins, plus WinRAR, plus Acronis stuff, plus Norton Internet Security, etc.,etc..,plus all kinds of initialization and configuration. Heck I'm probably at 2 days and counting.:(

Back