SSD, Win 7, and PowerQuest Drive Image 7

hfk

Gawd
On my backup hdd I have a windows xp installation just for PowerQuest Drive Image 7, so that I can restore an image of my system hdd to a new system hdd when I upgrade or whatever. Now, I'm about to get myself Windows 7 AND my first SSD (Intel X25-M Postville) as my new system disk. But my backup hdd and the PowerQuest Drive Image installation will remain the same. So my first question is this, will the method described above work with my soon to be SSD system drive? The difference being normally the image consists of an XP installation thats going to a regular harddrive, to an Win 7 based image that's going to an SSD.

My second question... is there any other way of backing up an image of a SSD drive that works in windows 7?

I trust nothing more than Clonezilla or PING for my image backups.

My second question... is there any other way of backing up an image of a SSD drive that works in windows 7?
Why not just use the included system imaging program? It works well, and it free.
So why would you downright trust these applications more than say powerquest drive image?
Why would you trust software that hasn't been updated since long before the last two Windows versions were released? Everyone has their own preferences with system imaging apps, but at least pick one that's still being developed and has been tested on current OSes!

Why not just use the included system imaging program? It works well, and it free.
Why would you trust software that hasn't been updated since long before the last two Windows versions were released? Everyone has their own preferences with system imaging apps, but at least pick one that's still being developed and has been tested on current OSes!

Oh win7 has image backup? That slipped my mind... I'm mainly curious as to wether or not SSDs work the same way as normal HDDs when it comes to restoring backup images.

I'm not sure why one would think an SSD would work any differently. It is still a formatted hard drive connected via an SATA port...just like mechanical drives. The only difference is, the image will take far less time to create!

I'm not sure why one would think an SSD would work any differently. It is still a formatted hard drive connected via an SATA port...just like mechanical drives. The only difference is, the image will take far less time to create!

Cheers I needed someone to confirm that. I see what you're saying but reading up on this and that compatibility issue and stuff like you should never defrag a SSD etc. etc. had me wondering. Are you sure though? In my head, an image created from a regular HDD restored to an SSD sounds like something that somehow wouldnt work for whatever random reason. Would like to be sure though.

It will work, especially if the controller and controller type is the same, such as Intel set to AHCI, etc. The only point I'd want to know about is if the SSD supported TRIM would Windows 7 enable that automatically, or is there something I'd have to do to enable it.

Back