SSD use in HTPC

TType85

[H]ard|Gawd
I ordered one of the 240GB San Disk SSD's from the staples hot deal today, it will be replacing my 120GB San Disk SSD in my main machine. That is going to either go to my wife's machine (currently has a 64GB C300 SSD) or in to my HTPC, If it goes in my wife's machine, the 64GB will go to the HTPC.

I know the SSD will be faster loading meta-data and such, but when streaming live TV from my HD Homerun Prime I know the current drive in the HTPC is constantly going because it is buffering the stream for TV, Will this adversely affect the SSD? Say we forget to "stop" live TV and just turn it off, it will be streaming till we turn it on again.

No media will be stored on the drive, just the OS and applications. Movies/music will be on a 16TB (10TB usable) 8-bay San Digital JBOD USB 3 tower (6 data, 2 parity for Flexraid)

HTPC Specs
Element Q mITX
ASRock H77 mITX 1155
i3 2100
8GB Kingston Ram
LG Blu-Ray
320GB Black 7200 RPM 2.5" laptop drive

Been using small (40-64GB) SSDs in HTPCs for a few years now. Low power consumption, no noise/ vibration are great. Have not had one wear out yet even at smaller capacities running Windows 7.

I have an 80GB SSD Intel G1 in my linux based HTPC (mythtv) that has been runing 24/7 since I installed the drive in 2009. I have done several thousand recordings since then..

Been using small (40-64GB) SSDs in HTPCs for a few years now. Low power consumption, no noise/ vibration are great. Have not had one wear out yet even at smaller capacities running Windows 7.

Yeah, I would like the SSD in it for the lower power and less heat. The laptop drive doesn't get very hot, but any temp reduction is nice.

I have an 80GB SSD Intel G1 in my linux based HTPC (mythtv) that has been runing 24/7 since I installed the drive in 2009. I have done several thousand recordings since then..

That is good to hear. Can't wait to get my 240 and start doing the drive shuffle :p

The orders are going to be cancelled. Don't hold your breath.
Some people have already received cancellation emails.

SSD's for every machine in my opinion.

See Sig.

My HTPC is getting a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe MX 120GB today. The wife's old spinner drive went out (it was 7yrs old & recycled many times) so I put the Pyro 120GB in hers last night. Now every machine that I have has a SSD in it. My 6 year old laptop has a Patriot Inferno 60GB & runs faster than my mom's new core i5 laptop does. Sweet!

Last edited:
Back