SSD stick

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by ng4ever, Jan 2, 2017.

1. ng4ever

ng4ever Flaccid 4Evar

Is a SSD USB stick worth buying compared to a normal slower USB Stick ?

2. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

If it is 256GB or larger it probably has a better controller and greater internal raid than a typical USB3 stick. If it is smaller it likely is not be any different.

3. ng4ever

ng4ever Flaccid 4Evar

Thanks. Where can I find SSD USB Sticks ? I can only find one kind or brand on Amazon :(

4. paradoxblue

paradoxblue Gawd

While I'm not overly involved in that, All usb Sticks are SSD... So I think you may just be looking at a gimick to get sales, it may have a faster controller etc. but it's still just a USB stick.

5. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

6. arestavo

arestavo [H]ard|Gawd

Better put a fan over that sucker for big data transfers or it might just melt the thing with how hot some of those NVME m.2 drives can get! If not melt, then make sure that you use gloves to touch it with immediately afterwards.

7. pendragon1

yeah I guess that might be true. startech fixed theirs by factory drilling holes down each side! I saw one that opened like a clamb shell and had thermal pads on the top but I cant find it now...

8. Markus.Schragner

Markus.Schragner n00bie

BEWARE, all of those USB external cases are just SATA Based controllers/converter to USB. I have not yet seen one USB to NVME adapter. Since there are both kinds of M.2 Technologys, only one (for the SATA based) has a existing adapter technology.
    Those are also not that problematic with heat emission, as only the NVME based SSDs get really hot.

9. 777

777 n00bie

I have a Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 drive and I'm happy with its performance. It's a bit larger than cheaper slower USB drives but less of a hassle than carrying around external SSDs. Word is internally it's the same as one of their earlier generation SSD drives with a SATA to USB chip bolted on.

10. pendragon1

that's why I noted it and it is clearly listed on the product page. and what would be the point of converting nvme to usb permanently?!