SSD RAID0 - 32k vs 64k STRIPE size (and margin of error on benchmarks?)

I am well aware that the larger the stripe size, the better the performance, and most recommend just 128k. But there is some confusion about that.

See, this will also store my OS and apps, which I am sure will house many many small files. There seems to be some argument about if stripe size is the same as cluster size or not. Some say that its the same thing (in which case, 128k will be a huge waste) or if they are just the amount of data the RAID controller reads at once and have nothing to do with cluster size, and thus no data is "wasted" (although this would mean slowdowns when accessing many small files, especially at boot-time).

I tried testing my SSD drives in 32k and 64K clusters, and this is what I got:

32k:
24zdpgo.png

64k:
m982te.png

I don't know what the margin of error for something like this could be. The sequential read speed seems to be the only thing really impacted. The 32k seems to have better read speeds (although I am not sure if this is within the margin of error) but the 64k seems to have fairly more significant write speeds.

I am not sure which way to go, can anyone here provide me with their opinions or answer some of my questions about this?

Have you run the test a few times to give yourself a range of outputs?

Based on what I see, i'd rather take a 28MB/s hit on the sequential read to gain nearly 150MB/s on the write. The other results are so similiar I wouldn't give them any mind.

Based on what I see, i'd rather take a 28MB/s hit on the sequential read to gain nearly 150MB/s on the write. The other results are so similiar I wouldn't give them any mind.

Actually it's 50MBps and with the loss of roughly 25MBps on the read, the only difference you're gaining is 25MBps. The scores are virtually identical and I'm sure fall in the margin of error. Doesn't seem like it makes that big of a difference either way you go really. You're going to take a loss somewhere.

SSD's are so fast in daily usage you wont notice the difference.

Agreed.

Which SSD's are you running in Raid right now? I have my 2 Plextors in Raid 0 with 128k stripe size.

Back