ssd raid 0, sata 3 Gb/s, sata 6Gb/s questions...

Right now I have a crucial c300 64gig SSD as my OS drive. It is sata 6 Gb/s compatable. I only have a sata 3 Gb/s motherboard. I'm really impressed but I want more performance. I'm thinking about buying another ssd.

How much performance increase if I just add another identical ssd, and raid 0 them? Would I be bottlenecked by sata 2? How well would performance scale?

How about adding a sata3 raid 0 card such as this? Would I effectively quadruple my performance?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115075

or would I be better off buying a newer motherboard?

you get huge filetransfer benefit from raid, normal pc usage you better off with a single disk.
I use 2x40gb ssd in raid, but I bought a 128gb ssd crucial M4 that arrives today to replace it.
I get trim and the same speeds as before.

more speed with ssd dosnt matter much, you better off with a single disk and trim than raid0.
its impressive in benchmarks, but in reality and practice not so much.

If you want more performance, buy a 256gb disk, or a raidcard.

you get huge filetransfer benefit from raid, normal pc usage you better off with a single disk.
I use 2x40gb ssd in raid, but I bought a 128gb ssd crucial M4 that arrives today to replace it.
I get trim and the same speeds as before.

more speed with ssd dosnt matter much, you better off with a single disk and trim than raid0.

a c300 can only write at 75mb/s, and the drive will freeze if you saturate that with even just a normal hard drive copying to it. it's always a good idea to raid0 c300's because then you can hit 150, which is a safe minimum to be above hard drives so you don't kill your read performance (lockup) while trying to write to it.

raid your c300 and everything will be faster. if you're looking for the best reasonable raid card money can buy, get an LSI 9260-4i and raid0 two c300's. on the other two slots, create a raid1 of your media if you need it to store backups of the raid0 or your movies, so you can recover due to drive failure. just be sure to keep a copy elsewhere as well so you don't delete your only backups.

Wrong. You obviously haven't ran RAID0 with SSDs. Also, good SSDs have good GC, which negates the need for TRIM.

Wrong. You obviously haven't ran RAID0 with SSDs. Also, good SSDs have good GC, which negates the need for TRIM.

I run raid0 for over a year, and in practice for most users raid0 is not needed.
that is why I bought a single drive since it covers storage and everything else I need it for.
In daily use, not needed.

I run raid0 for over a year, and in practice for most users raid0 is not needed.
that is why I bought a single drive since it covers storage and everything else I need it for.
In daily use, not needed.

Not sure how 2 x 40GB Intel x25-v drives compare to todays SATA III drives in RAID. The difference could be pretty significant.

I am debating whether I should RAID my 2 x 128GB Crucial C300s

Why are you wanting to have fast sequential speeds?
That's a benchmark bragging thing only in my 02, unless your doing some serious @home video editing ???

The SSD fast randomness is where you really notice it doing every-day-tasks.

It's not like people buy SSD to put large files on, and move them around anyway.

Why not look at a PCIE SSD solution if you need high sequential.

Back