SSD question

mhd

Weaksauce
I am looking to pick up this Samsung 970 Evo, However my concern is that if it will be potentinal bottleneck for it to reach the average read and write speed of Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2.
1609350394400.png

Last edited:
I think OP needs to clarify about when he says his "laptop has sata". Does the Laptop even have an M.2 slot, or does he need a traditional 2.5" SATA SSD instead? Most systems that have an M.2 slot will also support NVMe.

It has m.2 slot, that's what I am using right now with SK hynix, I have the dell 7375 Inspirion

1609354196700.png

Last edited:
According to Dell, it's SATA only (also). So unless you're current SSD is running out of space or dying, there's no sense in upgrading. A NVMe SSD will not work.

Honestly, even if the system did support NVMe, it's largely pointless to upgrade just for that. For day-to-day stuff there's virtually no real-world difference between SATA and NVMe SSDs.

That what I saw when I looked it up. 80mm SATA M.2 only, no PCIe M.2 SSD support. The specs only mention SATA M.2. A quick google search only turned up stuff about SATA M.2 drives. I did see something about people trying to add an extra drive though, so it might be worth looking through the service manual or popping the cover off to see if there's space for one. If it was possible to order the machine with a hard drive it's likely it can take 2 SSDs - 1 M.2 and 1 2.5".

Back