SSD question

Crowcreek

n00b
Hello, I apologize I am not tech savy. I was hoping I could get help here. I have a Crucial MX 500 ( I think ) for several months and for the past 2 weeks my activity light stays solid and locks up my screen. This happens 4-5 times a week maybe more.

I only have a few things installed such as Steam and a few games nothing else really. My question is, can I clean out the SSD without removing the Operating system ? I was thinking about restoring the pc back to factory settings but I only done that with a HDD and I replaced the HDD in this pc with the SSD. Thank you.

upload_2019-2-17_15-26-14.png

With the OS drive having 85% free space I'm not sure cleaning it out will help much.
You could do a lot to track down the issue, but its very time consuming and really the easiest is to reset or reinstall windows
I like reinstall becsaue you can download the latest version and skip most of the updates.
Backup your important data to a HDD and consider keeping all you improtant data there to ease the process when you get back to this place the next time.
Its easy in windows through File Explorer to right click Documents, Desktop, Photos, Videos, Music and Downloads then select properties and then click the location tab and point to the HDD as the save location.
Next time all you have to do is reset with no worries just don't foget to keep a full backup of your HDD to your prefered cloud.

Start by going to settings >> Accounts >> and take note of the email account windows is tied to which may help recovering your key if need be but when the reinstall or reset is initiciatedthrough windows it's really painless and works very well. In other words you won't loose your key.

Reset
If your PC isn't running well, resetting it might fix the problem. Resetting reinstalls Windows 10, but gives you the option to keep your files. Here are three ways to reset your PC:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Recovery. Under Reset this PC, select Get started.

• Restart your PC to get to the sign-in screen, then press and hold down the Shift key while you select the Power icon > Restart in the lower-right hand corner of the screen. After your computer restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.

• You can also use installation media to reset your PC. See Recovery options in Windows 10 for detailed steps.

Reinstall
Reset and Reinstall Source

With the OS drive having 85% free space I'm not sure cleaning it out will help much.
You could do a lot to track down the issue, but its very time consuming and really the easiest is to reset or reinstall windows
I like reinstall becsaue you can download the latest version and skip most of the updates.
Backup your important data to a HDD and consider keeping all you improtant data there to ease the process when you get back to this place the next time.
Its easy in windows through File Explorer to right click Documents, Desktop, Photos, Videos, Music and Downloads then select properties and then click the location tab and point to the HDD as the save location.
Next time all you have to do is reset with no worries just don't foget to keep a full backup of your HDD to your prefered cloud.

Start by going to settings >> Accounts >> and take note of the email account windows is tied to which may help recovering your key if need be but when the reinstall or reset is initiciatedthrough windows it's really painless and works very well. In other words you won't loose your key.

Reset
If your PC isn't running well, resetting it might fix the problem. Resetting reinstalls Windows 10, but gives you the option to keep your files. Here are three ways to reset your PC:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Recovery. Under Reset this PC, select Get started.

• Restart your PC to get to the sign-in screen, then press and hold down the Shift key while you select the Power icon > Restart in the lower-right hand corner of the screen. After your computer restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.

• You can also use installation media to reset your PC. See Recovery options in Windows 10 for detailed steps.

Reinstall
Reset and Reinstall Source

I cloned the OS from the HDD and that HDD is long gone. So the reset is safe to do ?

Have you tried going to Start, Run, cmd, and then chkdsk?

Since you're running Win10 I'd like to see if any disk activity comes up in the taskbar.

Run the taskbar on top of everything, sort by disk usage and check to see if anything unusual comes up.

Try a scan with Malwarebytes. Very effective and almost no false positives so just remove whatever it finds (if any). I have a laptop that locks up due to "system interrupts" which I believe is caused by the WLAN driver or synaptic driver but there are no other versions for the WLAN in Win10 (lol). Do you have an automatic system restore point from before this started happening? Run 'rstrui' without quotes and select to show additional restore points. Another thought is that I have seen pending sector counts cause this. Run the standard zip version of crystaldiskinfo and take a screenshot.

I cloned the OS from the HDD and that HDD is long gone. So the reset is safe to do ?
I highly recommend a local backup drive for all documents and keep a cloud backup of that.
The issue could have been the clone from HDD to SSD now with a clean install you should be good to go. GL

Back