• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SSD plus Windows 7

Ziel

n00b
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
21
I just replaced my failing HDD with an SSD, and got it all up and running last night. I'm very pleased with it, but have a couple concerns.

Oh, I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, installed on a Corsair Nova series 64GB SSD. The rest of the computer is 4 years old: AMD Athlon x2 64 3800+ with 2GB ram. It's an HP, so I don't know any specifics about the motherboard itself.

Anyhow, I had found that you should disable drive indexing, prefetch, superfetch, and defrag for SSDs. But I also read that Windows 7 would detect an SSD and automatically disable these features for you.

But my machine doesn't seem to be recognizing it as an SSD. In the registry, Prefetch and Superfetch values are still 3, not 0. And the drive shows up as able to be defragged in the disk defragmenter. From what I've read, if it sees it as an SSD it shouldn't show up in that list. So, is there a way to make it realize it's an SSD so it will optimize settings for it?

On top of that, I checked in my BIOS, and tried to enable AHCI before installing windows, and didn't even see that as an option anywhere.

One last thing: the drive is TRIM compatible. Is this automatically enabled? Would it not be enabled because my system doesn't seem to realize it's an SSD?
 
Most of that stuff was automatic for me, but I did have to turn AHCI on in the bios.
If you cant do that, thats probably your issue.
Trim can be enabled manually. Google should find it. Turn the other stuff off manually.
 
Defrag is the biggest concern here - the rest are annoyances IMO as they largely involve extra reads and not writes.

If I recall correctly, my W7x64 w/ Intel G2 will still defrag the drive if you insist. The key here is that it isn't present in the schedule. Check the schedule to make sure that the SSD isn't scheduled for automatic defragmentation and you're done.

I also recommend using AHCI mode and disabling hybrid sleep (which causes the OS to write out the entire hiberfil for both sleep and hibernate events instead of just hibernate).
 
That's kinda what I figured. Thought the lack of AHCI might be the cause. But since it's not even an option in the BIOS, can my computer just not use it?

I've found all the stuff about setting these things in the registry. I just wanted to know if there was a way to make windows realize it was an SSD, so I didn't have to mess with the registry.

I'll see if anybody else has any thoughts on that, and would like some input on the AHCI issue as well, still. Might jump into the registry if nothing else comes up though.

EDIT: I have disabled auto-defrag already.
 
Back
Top