SSD Partition Backup Software

DragonFyr

Limp Gawd
I have two computers that are running SSD drives that i would like to create an image file backup for.
If an SSD fails, I want to be able to boot to dvd and restore the image file to a new SSD

I used to use Norton Ghost for all my normal HDs but am kinda new to SSDs.

Any suggestions?

What's wrong with Ghost, an SSD is no different than a HDD to cloning or imaging software.

Wrong. Newer imagers have special options that will optimize for SSD.

I use Ghost to image my SSDs, in fact it came with an SSD, that is how I aquired it. As long as the block alignment is preserved on the image, there is no "optimization" that matters.

Thanks.

I am trying Paragon now

for some reason, New Back Up Format will not allow me to Check VD Integrity?

Anyone know if thats due to its the Free Version?

Nothing beats Terabyte's backup suite - Image for Windows, Linux or DOS.

In my eyes, backup HD image is similar with SSD.
Norton Ghost, EaseUS Todo, Acronis are good images and backup software.

I used a Paragon backup to restore my Windows 8.1 system drive last week. Worked great.

Trim the ssd's free space then use driveimagexml. Free and the trim will cause the ssd to return easily compressible 0s for unused space.

Trim the ssd's free space then use driveimagexml. Free and the trim will cause the ssd to return easily compressible 0s for unused space.

Hwa? That makes no sense. Drive Image XML is a file level backup, it grabs the boot information and then starts marching along making clones of the files on the drive.

Almost everything mentioned in the thread is file level, a few have 1:1 sector level options but it's basically unneeded except in special circumstances.

I will second Paragon. I use their software daily, and it works VERY well. very ssd friendly too.

I will second Paragon. I use their software daily, and it works VERY well. very ssd friendly too.

I agree. I was changing from MBR to GPT so I backed up the C: system drive with Paragon, reformatted the SSD to GPT, installed a fresh Windows 8.1 to create the initial GPT partitions, then restored the system drive over the existing C: drive. I can't recommend it enough.

FWIW:
I use ImageX, CloneZilla and Acronis for various projects at work. CloneZilla is a little "scary" at first, since it doesn't have a real user friendly interface, but it works great and you can easily create a bootable ISO with the image baked in. Although to be fair, I mainly use it with Linux boxes. For all current Windows stuff it's ImageX. For older legacy stuff, Acronis.

Back