SSD on a laptop

zt3

n00b
hi there,

i've an Asus laptop (Asus N76VZ-V4G-T1196H) which comes with a 1TB hard-drive which i just checked and it's a 5400rpm one... so i was wondering (and since it got 2 hard-drive slots from what i've heard) if i wanna put a SSD on it, will i need a caddy or the free slot should work?

i know that if i wanna change the dvd-drive for it i'll need to buy a caddy also, but since it has a free slot it should do the work.

any ideas?

You would need a caddy to hold the drive in place, so you can screw the drive into the chasis of the laptop. Many laptops actually come with an extra caddy screwed in without the hard drive. I would check before you buy one.

It depends on the laptop. Many that have dedicated 2.5" bays are sized for just that...2.5", so no caddy needed. I did not need one for my newer Asus or older Acer laptops. I didn't need a 7mm to 9.5mm spacer, either...I just bought SSDs that were 9.5mm tall. YMMV

hi there,

i've an Asus laptop (Asus N76VZ-V4G-T1196H) which comes with a 1TB hard-drive which i just checked and it's a 5400rpm one... so i was wondering (and since it got 2 hard-drive slots from what i've heard) if i wanna put a SSD on it, will i need a caddy or the free slot should work?

i know that if i wanna change the dvd-drive for it i'll need to buy a caddy also, but since it has a free slot it should do the work.

any ideas?

Well, the performance improvement from a 5400 rpm drive to an SSD is amazing. :D :D Find a way to get at least your OS install plus apps on the SSD. If you get a 256 GB or 512 GB SSD, that may even cover your data files.

Use the 1 TB for bulk storage, say all your game files or your music and videos. I have an HD caddy for my Lenovo T530, and it's great for long plane rides. Whenever I need to install new software or rip a CD, then I remove the HD caddy and put in the DVD drive. Works great. Go for it.

I know know about ASUS, but for my Lenovo T530, I got some really good prices on eBay for cheap (but good enough) Chinese knockoffs. I think I paid like under $15, with shipping, for my caddy.

that's exactly what i'm doing x509.

and thanks for the replies guys, i've already opened the laptop and it has a free slot so no caddy needed! only SSD left to feel amazing speeds on it :D

Back